PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 09:51 PM
For ages now i have been having problems sleeping because of my back pain and from the pain around my rib hump
i have tryed lots of things pain killers , heat pads , ice pads, and sleeping tablets , hot baths but nothing is working and its driving me up the wall
i feel so tired and fed up i could cry :cry:

BlueIce
22nd November 2004, 09:59 PM
aww dee.. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. It remembers me of my first nights after surgery where I couldn't get comfortable and just started crying because I felt miserable.
What helps for me is putting a pillow between my legs (when I'm on my side). I have one of those pillows shaped like a big C, so I put one end between my legs and hold on to the other end so I can lean against it.
Try having a relax night, take a hot bad with nice music on, then go to bed in a nice warm room (mines always cold so that's why I mention this :-)), light some candles and maybe read a little to get more tired. Maybe that'll help, or some warm milk :-)
If the pain really doesn't stop you could see your doc again, maybe a chance in painkillers or some other method can ease the pain for you.

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 10:04 PM
thanks hun i will try that
also i will ask my doctor about painkiller as right now i have been taken of my tablets i was on

worst thing about getting to sleep is when i stay at my b/fs and hes snoreing right next and also my hamster chewing on there bars lol

tomrrow is going to be a bad day i have to go some where for a medical
last time i went the back pain got so bad just waiting for the busses killed me
how long does a heat bad stay warm
if its longi could take it with me tomrrow morning

lindzi_11
22nd November 2004, 10:30 PM
Sleeping is now a BIG problem for me too!

andrea
22nd November 2004, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are having problems sleeping. I can relate to the snoring and other noises going on (gggrrrrrrr), but fortunately can't relate to the pain and discomfort you are feeling. The big cushion mentioned reminds me of one I had during pregnancy - it certainly took the pressure off the back then, although I suspect it's a different kind of pain and discomfort. Hope it gets better for you guys soon.

here's a hug for you both :squeeze: :squeeze:

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 10:41 PM
thanks andrea :squeeze:
also forgot to say martin also talks in his sleep lol
lucky i have my hamster because when i cant sleep i talk to them , i think they think i am mad lol :nutter:

andrea
22nd November 2004, 10:43 PM
OMG talking is much worse than snoring. When Jonathan talks in his sleep (which is frequently - usually work related) I give him a good kick or turn over really noisily (lots of bouncing and sighing and grabbing of duvet) and that usually shuts him up. Can't guarantee it will last though.

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by andrea@Nov 22 2004, 03:43 PM
When Jonathan talks in his sleep (which is frequently - usually work related) I give him a good kick or turn over really noisily (lots of bouncing and sighing and grabbing of duvet) and that usually shuts him up. Can't guarantee it will last though.
Hee hee. That's my tactic. It's mostly the snoring though that gets to me. I sleep with earplugs and I still hear him! He's also getting used to the abuse cause it doesn't seem to work as well anymore. :P

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by andrea@Nov 22 2004, 10:43 PM
OMG talking is much worse than snoring. When Jonathan talks in his sleep (which is frequently - usually work related) I give him a good kick or turn over really noisily (lots of bouncing and sighing and grabbing of duvet) and that usually shuts him up. Can't guarantee it will last though.
i have tryed that and he wakes up sort of half asleep laughs at me and goes back to sleep
it only takes him 1 second to fall asleep , once if said in his sleep there under the bed i said what is and he said i dont know and started to laugh . but the funny thing is he never rembers any thing in the morning lol

lindzi_11
22nd November 2004, 10:55 PM
LoL yes i used to talk in my sleep too.

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 10:59 PM
I yelled at one of my friends once at a sleepover for "stealing my barettes". I was totally talking in my sleep. :D It still cracks us up to think about it.

Ryansmum
23rd November 2004, 12:30 AM
Hi Dee dont know wether it'll help you, but my mum swears by a few drops of rosemary oil in the bath when she's really in pain with hers :spin: smells good too 8) On the snoring/talking David grinds his teeth and snores too :-x and Ryan does his teeth too til they screech! All my boys also sleep with their eyes half open like Dad(him and his great habits!!) :-o its a bit unsettling when you go in to check on them and all these eyes are fixed on you but theres no answer when you talk to them..

Marti
23rd November 2004, 04:16 AM
I used to fall asleep with my eyes partially open. I was having nightmares and I was too scared to close them... Funny I remember that so well, when I was younger than 5 at the time (I remember because I definitely had a room to myself when I did that, and my sister and I shared a room once my brother was born... when I was five).

As for falling asleep... I have a chamomile and milk bath powder that I find works well.

Amazed Jean
23rd November 2004, 07:32 AM
Ryansmom, I know I read some where that sleeping with your eyes partially open could mean a problem. It has something with REM sleep and your body not being fully able to rest. Ask your Doc.

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 04:12 PM
I have good news............... I SLEPT THE WHOLE NIGHT LAST NIGHT! WAHOOO!

Abbi
23rd November 2004, 04:18 PM
My dad is the worst for snoring....he will usually fall asleep during a good movie anf will snore....and so we chuck pillows at him...and he is like "what, what?" and wer like ssssh and he is like "I wasnt even sleeping...." LOL!!!
Lindzi im glad you slept the whole night that is awesome!!!

Dee~ R u from the UK? u r aren't you....well there is sum tablets called valerina (I think thats the right spelling) they r sleeping tablets, they sorta help you to relax and fall asleep....I know a girl who swears by them.....you can get them in boots the chemist!!!

Hope everything works out for you!!!

Becky
23rd November 2004, 05:03 PM
My boyfriend always talks in his sleep, and for the first time on saturday I had a conversation with him when he was asleep! Its creepy! He also nearly suffercated me once while we were asleep, his elbow was in my throat and I couldnt breath!

Little~shedevil~dee
23rd November 2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Nov 23 2004, 04:18 PM
My dad is the worst for snoring....he will usually fall asleep during a good movie anf will snore....and so we chuck pillows at him...and he is like "what, what?" and wer like ssssh and he is like "I wasnt even sleeping...." LOL!!!
Lindzi im glad you slept the whole night that is awesome!!!

Dee~ R u from the UK? u r aren't you....well there is sum tablets called valerina (I think thats the right spelling) they r sleeping tablets, they sorta help you to relax and fall asleep....I know a girl who swears by them.....you can get them in boots the chemist!!!

Hope everything works out for you!!!
Yes A bbi i am in the uk , i will have a look around for them in boot
thanks

jfkimberly
23rd November 2004, 08:59 PM
Congratulations, Lindzi! I was about that excited the first time I slept through through the night with the BiPAP on (it's still not going well, thanks for asking). Doesn't it feel good to wake up after a long night's sleep?

What kind of medications do they put you on after surgery? After my brain surgery, I was on Prednisone, a corticosteroid, to reduce/limit swelling at the surgery site. Prednisone is known to interfere with your ability to sleep... Just a thought.

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm on 2 codine and 2 tylenol every 4 hours. But its not manditory I take it every 4 hours. and also some Iron pills to help my blood.

Marti
24th November 2004, 01:57 AM
Congrats Lindzi. Sleep is wonderful, especially when you're in pain. Isn't it ironic that when you're in pain, you usually can't sleep?

lindzi_11
24th November 2004, 04:17 AM
Yah lol. Omg I have BAD pain when I wake up in the morning though! And I usually wake up in the middle of the night anyways to take my meds. But ohhh I just don't wanna get out of bed because its so painful and I feel all tense.

Abbi
25th November 2004, 03:59 PM
Hows sleeping now lindzi?

Crazy16girl
25th November 2004, 04:28 PM
Nothing can stop me from sleeping! Well thats a lie...only recently i cant sleep because of a bit of achyness. But all i done was slept when i was in hospital and out. Infact ive just woke up from another 1 hour nap today :-D

Jonny
25th November 2004, 11:01 PM
The last three or four days in hospital, I drifted off at midnight, woke up at 2am and didn't go back to sleep, watched the sun come up feeling more and more and more miserable until I was really very distressed for no reason in the morning. That was the worst bit of my surgery.

Lindsay it's a wonderful moment when you wake up and you realise you're not aching from the night :-D

jfkimberly
26th November 2004, 09:04 AM
It's really funny (but not "ha-ha" funny) how miserable you get when you're really tired but you can't sleep... like the way I felt the night of my first sleep study. It's a really awful feeling... completely irrational and moody.

gabrielle
27th November 2004, 02:48 PM
I saw chamomile mentioned... it's very helpful as a tea, too. Since I began taking Vicodin for pain I've woken up less at night, but still have pretty bad morning stiffness/pain. I don't know how much of that is age as much as scoliosis. I suspect that even at 42 some of it is! My mom had really bad arthritis. I was told years ago I had it in my knees and they often bother me a lot first thing in the morning. I also sleep with a pillow under my knees (I've found that helps quite a bit, actually). I hope you're (all!) able to find some relief!