PDA

View Full Version : NHS Cheneau Brace ?

Cara
30th July 2009, 01:47 PM
I am trying to get the Cheneau Brace on the NHS.
We have been offered a brace that is molded to my daughters body and then padded. This brace fits under the arms. They told us it is like the Cheneau Brace. It felt like they was trying to baffle us with technology. Is this a Cheneau Brace or a Boston Brace? Thanks Cara

andrea
30th July 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Cara

I've moved your post from the common room into the non-surgical room, where I hope more people with experience of bracing will see it and be able to help. I don't know much about the cheneau brace, but what you describe could maybe be a custom-made TLSO, which is different from a Boston Brace.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some more advice about obtaining the cheneau on the NHS.

Andrea

Cara
30th July 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi thanks, the custom made tlso brace could you go into more detail please thanks once again Cara

tonibunny
30th July 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Cara, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

TLSO stands for Thoracic-Lumbar-Sacral-Orthosis, which is just a long phrase for any corset-style hard brace that does not extend up to include the neck.

You may also see CTLSO, which refers to braces that include the neck too, such as traditional style Milwaukee braces (which are very rarely used nowadays).

Here in the UK, RNOH Stanmore and many of the other larger centres usually offer custom-made TLSOs. These are created for the individual patient using a plaster cast mould taken from their body. They may or may not include padding inside to help exert pressure on the spinal curves.

Strictly speaking, Boston Braces are actually a specific type of brace made from pre-formed parts that are chosen and fitted together to fit the patient, rather than being custom-made for the patient from a mould. However, you'll often find that people refer to any hard plastic corset-style brace as a "Boston Brace".

Another type of brace that is available in the UK is the Spinecor, which is a flexible brace made out of bands of elasticated fabric. I *think* it's only available on the NHS in Sheffield though, but I'm sure other people here will know if you can get it elsewhere.

Hope that helps! :)

Toni xx

GillyG
30th July 2009, 11:59 PM
I've just taken this from the Spinecor website, showing where the brace is available in the UK ...

SHEFFIELD HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST The Sheffield Children's Hospital
Western Bank
Sheffield, S10 2TH
United Kingdom
Consultants:
Mr. D L Douglas FRCS
Mr. A C Howard FRCS
Mr. A A Cole FRCS
Tel: +44 (0) 114 271 7000

e-mail: matthewnolan@sky.com

CAMBRIDGE HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST Nuffield Hospital Cambridge4 Trumpington Road
Cambridge CB2 2AF
Tel: +44 (0) 1246 454682
e-mail: a.mills@healthcare.uk.net
Secretary: Helen Wainwright
e-mail: h.wainwright@healthcare.uk.net (h.wainwright@heatlhcare.uk.net)

MIDDLESBROUGH HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST James Cook University Hospital
Marton Road
Middlesbrough
TS4 3BW
Tel: +44 (0) 1642 850850

SOUTHAMPTON HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST Southampton General Hospital
Tremona Road
Southampton
SO16 6YD
Tel: +44 (0) 2380 777222

STOCKTON ON TEES HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST North Tees & Hartlepool NHS Trust
University Hospital of North Tees
Hardwick
TS19 8PE
Tel: +44 (0) 1642 617617
e-mail: RWebb@peacocksorthotics.co.uk

STOKE ON TRENT HOSPITAL, ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND ORTHOTIST Hartshill Orthopaedic & Surgical Unit
North Staffordshire NHS Trust
Newcastle Road
Stoke on Trent
ST4 6QG
Orthotic Dept Tel: +44 (0) 1782 553774

Hope this helps :D