PDA

View Full Version : Idiopathic Scoliosis and moles (skin lesions)

tonibunny
22nd November 2004, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else with Idiopathic Scoliosis, diagnosed at any time (ie infantile, juvenile, adolescent or adult) also have a larger number of moles than most people?

I've got tons of moles....I don't like them but there's not much I can do about it! I was really interested to find that research has been done on a possible link between Idiopathic Scoliosis and an increased number of nevi (moles). If this is correct, it would suggest that IS is caused by some sort of syndrome.....which may or may not include the extra-flexible joint thing that we discussed a while back.

It'll be interesting to see what you all think!

Toni xx

lindzi_11
22nd November 2004, 07:29 PM
I have no moles on my back or anything. I have like 2 on my arm and thats pretty much about it. And I have Idiopathic Scoliosis too.

BlueIce
22nd November 2004, 07:35 PM
I have lot's of brown "dots" all over my body, but I don't know if they're classified as moles.

Becky
22nd November 2004, 07:39 PM
I forgot what Idiopathic Scoliosis is, is it when you don't know what has caused it? If it is that then I have no moles at all!

sins
22nd November 2004, 07:45 PM
Covered in the darn things.I've read the research and seen the links and I agree that there's more evidence to suggest that scoliosis is syndromic in nature.You don't need to convince me.
Sins

tonibunny
22nd November 2004, 07:49 PM
Right, thanks Sins, I am most interested to hear from people who had scoliosis from a very early age......can you do the flexible thumb thing as well?

sins
22nd November 2004, 07:51 PM
No, surprisingly I can't.My legs are very flexible but definitely not my hands or fingers.

andrea
22nd November 2004, 08:29 PM
Moles develop with age don't they? Or do they? If they do, then it's too early to say whether Erin has a significant number. What's the thumb thing?

tonibunny
22nd November 2004, 08:50 PM
Moles do grow in with age. I think I first noticed that I had a lot of them when I was about 7 or 8 (I spent ages in the bathroom trying to scrub them off :cry: )

There's various things that one can do to illustrate joint hyperflexibility.....firstly, there's the bendy finger thing (thanks to Jonny for the pic), where you bend your fingertip forward.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/bendyfinger.jpg

Also, some people can bend their thumb so it lies flat against their inner wrist.

Lieve
22nd November 2004, 09:17 PM
I was searching the topic of the bendy finger thing a month ago, I knew it is somewhere on SSO but I couldn't find it anymore. At my last doctor's appointment he said I'm hypermobile. A bit of a surprise for me, I didn't know. Btw I have moles too.

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 09:17 PM
I have that bendy finger thing. I didn't know that everyone didn't do that.

floralgypsy
22nd November 2004, 09:34 PM
I have the bendy finger thing, and I also have moles. I have numerous little brown dots all over my body, but I also have pretty large, dark ones on my forehead, cheek, neck, side, etc...

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 09:45 PM
I also have some moles but not that many. Most of mine are not just dots but they are actually raised moles. I know of like 5. Is that a lot?

Ryansmum
22nd November 2004, 10:09 PM
Now thats weird :-? I have tons of moles, and is the thumb thing where you can click it so it looks like its come out of joint?? I can do that too..but so far no signs in me of scoliosis only Ryan???

Ryansmum
22nd November 2004, 10:16 PM
even weirder ???? just asked Ryan and checked YES he does have the bendy finger thing which I have never noticed before and he does also have a quite a few little moles..I'd love to read the article do you have a link you can post please ??

BlueIce
22nd November 2004, 10:22 PM
I can put my tumb against my wrist and have the flexible finger thing too. Also, when I was waiting for my appointment, I noticed I could twist my pink so that the top of it touches the part where my middle one begins (back of my hand, not my palm). I don't know if that's normal, I didn't check with anyone else yet, but it freaked my mom out :glee:

sins
22nd November 2004, 10:23 PM
I have scoliosis, can't do the thumb thing and my five year old son doesn't have scoliosis is a contortionist

Kaja
22nd November 2004, 10:31 PM
I have idiopathic, and lots of moles :roll: And bendy fingers! My friend always freaks out when I do stuff with my thumb :P

andrea
22nd November 2004, 11:18 PM
This is weird. I can do the bendy thumb and finger thing, yet I don't have scoliosis. I think it's a bit mean of me to try and do it with Erin, although if she was awake I probably would!

Abbi
22nd November 2004, 11:49 PM
I have lots of brown dots all over me....and one raised mole just above my thigh! My dad has lots of moles...and so does my little sister!

I dont think I can do the bendy thumb/finger thing...but b4 i foud out I had scoli....my spine was so flexible,...I could like bend over myself...I was a gymnast....(until i was about 13)

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 11:50 PM
I am still really flexible. I had a chiropractor tell me once that people with scoliosis are more flexible which didn't seem to make sense to me but whatever. :roll:

Little~shedevil~dee
23rd November 2004, 12:10 AM
i had 3 moles i had one around my mouth operated on years ago
the other is on the back of my neck and one on my wrist
i have lots of brown spots on my arms legs and chest

i can do the thumb thing i am very flexible i can bend over backwoods
i can even put my legs around my shoulders

Vicki
23rd November 2004, 12:30 AM
I can put my foot flat on my chest... and have had various suggestions made to me as to how this could be useful. I don't have an abnormal amount of moles (I have one on the back of my neck, but that's it) but I can demonstrate the flexible finger thing pretty well

http://www-student.lboro.ac.uk/~lsvhjh/Flexible%20finger%20thing.jpg

I've been told I should play guitar..

butterflylr
23rd November 2004, 12:36 AM
That's freaky! :-o :D

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 01:17 AM
:-o ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kayla
23rd November 2004, 01:21 AM
whoa! That is cool! I don't really have any moles and I dont have flexible fingers.

Ryansmum
23rd November 2004, 01:21 AM
EEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUU doesn't that hurt??????????????????? :-o

Marti
23rd November 2004, 05:21 AM
I have a TON of freckles... although I think that's because i'm 3/4 Irish. I've also been told I have some moles by my doctor. I know I certainly have some, and I have many much larger freckles that I've always had, so I'm pretty sure they're moles. I still call them freckles though... I like the word freckle better than mole.

I have idiopathic scoliosis and also have very flexible fingers. All my fingers are really double jointed. I also have flexible shoulders and achilles tendons, but that's it. Everything else is as tight as it gets. No matter how much I stretch, I still can't touch my toes.

Amazed Jean
23rd November 2004, 08:24 AM
I am sure that the number of moles you have multiplies as you get older. I am POSITIVE that our daughter had none when she was born. Now she has an average number. I haves several moles (Some Ugly sticking out ones) and I get more bit by bit. We once counted our moles by circling them with a marker -you need a friend to do the back and for Pete's sake don't use a permanent marker. Here's and odd thing, my Mother, and I both have a "beauty mark" mole on our cheeks - Jae was pretty young when she got one on her cheek too. My sister and her daughter both more moles and they don't have any scoliosis. (My mom has a slight curve found at age 80 and I have a wee curve.)

Ican do the thumb thing too. There's no way I asking an 85 year old Mom if she can bend her thumb - she'd tell what exactly I could do with my thumb!

jfkimberly
23rd November 2004, 09:02 AM
My sister and I can both do this (though I can't even do it with my left hand as much as hers, and hers appears to be slipping in that pic):
http://www.jfkimberly.com/images/thumbs.jpg

My mother, sister and I can also do the finger bendy thing, and our thumbs can touch our wrists. My mother and I both have numerous small moles, and I think Courtney has a few.

Nobody in my family has scoliosis but me, and mine is congenital (Klippel-Fiel syndrome, it would seem). But we're all super-flexible and mole-covered, anyway.

titch
23rd November 2004, 11:52 AM
This reminds me of the "is scoliosis a disease" argument that there was a while back. I maintained then, and still maintain now, that it is not - basically because even among idiopathic cases, there seem to be so many recognisable sub-groups that I just don't think it is a single thing, and regarding it as one is - in my view - likely to lead to failure to investigate it fully, or in many cases to treat it adequately.

I definitely think there is a very strong case for thinking that in many, if not most, idiopathic cases, the curvature is merely a visible symptom (and probably the most serious) of an overarching condition or syndrome.

As to moles - I don't have very many. I have a raised one on my shoulderblade, and in the middle of my back, and one at the top of my left calf. I also have several flat dark freckle-ish marks, but I'm very pale skinned so that's not too surprising. I am however rather flexible. Before surgery, I could put both feet behind my ears, and could also do a thing where I sat on the floor starting with my legs kind of tucked back, but not sat on my feet (hope that makes sense) and could then twist one of my legs around, rotating it to the back, so that I ended up with my knee stuck out behind me, and my foot upside down at my front, and could then twist it further so that it tucked in under my ribs. Fusion from T3-L4 has put paid to most of my contortionist capers however!

I used to have exceptionally flexible hands as well - I can still do the thing like Kimberly shows in the picture above, and a sort of reversed version of what Vicki's picture shows (I'll have to take a picture myself and post it here). I can still do the thumb-against-forearm thing, and can get my thumb a considerable way toward my arm bending it in the other direction too (again, pictures will follow), and my fingers bend backward more than average. However, none of this is as pronounced as it used to be, as I've got considerable joint thickening as a consequence of my "idiopathic inflammatory joint disorder".

Kaja
23rd November 2004, 04:27 PM
Ooh, I can do that too Kimberly :D My thumb gets disjointed all the time. Without me noticing it. It's kind of funny :P And my pinky (sp?) is very weird too.. :roll:

Liv
23rd November 2004, 04:54 PM
Tonibuns, I am COVERED! ;-) I have moles/freckles everywhere!

Originally posted by Kaja
My thumb gets disjointed all the time. Without me noticing it.*

:shock: Freak! :-P

ivanleg
24th November 2004, 04:37 PM
Those 'lil brown things are cute. I have lots of them too but they're probably not as noticeable as you guys because my legs are hairy and my torso doesn't see much sunlight ;-)
I've only got two moles, they're on my right bottom cheek :-o They're maybe 1/2" in diameter and my mum has always called them my "dominoes" cos they look like this I suppose..
http://www.olemiss.edu/mathed/middle/domino.gif
(I mean the domino with two dots on it obviously!)

Abbi
24th November 2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Marti@Nov 23 2004, 04:21 AM
I have a TON of freckles... although I think that's because i'm 3/4 Irish.

erm....what does freckles hve to do with being irish....I am irish and dont have freckles...and many people I know dont have freckles.....!!!

sins
24th November 2004, 05:03 PM
There's a perception that the Celtic races (including Irish) have a greater tendency to freckle.I'm freckle free but my husband on the other hand is a mass of freckles.In the summer they tend to merge into one brown blob :-o

Abbi
24th November 2004, 05:27 PM
lol....i kinna just dont like the whole....irish thing....like the way people stereotype us....I mean this one person was like do you like having running water in Ireland? (ah yeahhh!!) Its mainly US people that do it(sorri guys) but when i went to America, all these people wer like cool ur from Ireland....im like half irish cos my great great aunt was from Dublin....(yeah...sure!....lol)

Also people in mainland UK do it too...cos like these ppl in Scotland asked a friends brother....oh yeah isnt it true that u cant step outside ur house cos of bombs (in N.Ireland) (NO!!!!) lol

But i suppose its all the medias fault!

Kaja
24th November 2004, 05:38 PM
Well. I think that you're all very pale over there :D Like, you don't tan very well. You go lobster-like :roll: Of course, not EVERYONE, but it's a British/Irish thing. Also, the Irish have red hair and freckles. Yees :P

Just like we're blonde and blue-eyed in Scandinavia ;-) :mope:

lindzi_11
24th November 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm blonde lol and blue eyed =) and i'm from Canada hehe!

Marti
24th November 2004, 06:01 PM
Sorry I stereotyped about the Irish...
Most of my family is of Irish descent and most of us have red hair and freckles. Most other people I know who are mostly of Irish descent also have red hair and frekcles. So I sorta assumed that most people who are Irish or of Irish descent have red hair and freckles. Or at least freckles.
sorry

elvinwarrior
24th November 2004, 08:27 PM
I'm half Irish, and very proud of it.

Abbi
24th November 2004, 08:40 PM
thats ok....i didnt blame u, i just wanted to sorta clear that with you guys....I dont really see that many people over here with red hair and freckles....of course there are a few.....
Kaja....no we dont tan very well do we? some ppl do tho...i suppose its all to do with the skin type....I tan!!! yipppeee!!! It was so nice in Hungary....it must have been 30 something degrees...and we wer all sun bathing....soooo nice, I got a little colour....but not much! My team leader got burnt...despite being told to put on lots of sun cream.....!!! lol

Blair
24th November 2004, 08:41 PM
I have tons of moles... Just looking at my arms and legs.... 17 of the little buggers. And more on my torso. A couple on my shoulder, and i know i have one on my back.
I have faint freckles too...
I can do the one bendy finger thing with that first knuckle bending way backwards. Part of my fingers can be twisted around like Liv showed (some of my fingers are messed up due to my darn horse standing on them... LOL). I also can really hyperextend my elbows and knees. The elbow thing really freaks my family out... And I can also straighten my arms out, then lay them flat and straight accross my chest.
Dont know what age my scoliosis started to develop... Didn't get bad until I was an adult, but I can remember as early as 10 yrs old, noticing my shoulders were a bit uneven.

Liv
24th November 2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Blair@Nov 24 2004, 08:41 PM
I can do the one bendy finger thing with that first knuckle bending way backwards. Part of my fingers can be twisted around like Liv showed
I didn't show anything! :-? When I bend my fingers like that they just crack a little bit... ;-)

Blair
25th November 2004, 05:32 AM
Whoops... It was Vicki who posted the pic I referred to... Sorry Liv! :oops: