PDA

View Full Version : Soucacos study...

Sealy
25th July 2009, 06:51 PM
Assessment of Curve progression in Idiopathic Scoliosis
P. N. Soucacos

Arguments from personal incredulity are not evidence.

I posted some statistics I found from a large screening of ~14,000 kids as I recall where a surprising number spontaneous showed halting of progression and about 10% as I recall corrected completely spontaneously. It's on the NSF site for folks interested.

Science is the ONLY way of knowing anything. Data. Evidence.

I had the opportunity a few months ago, to read that study! It wasn't 14,000 children but rather a pool of 85,622 children. The article is available in the Infantile Juvenile Scoliosis Support group in case anyone wants to read it.

My laymomís interpretation of that study is that 1,436 children were identified with scoliosis. These were children with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Curves that were treated with a brace, progressed to surgery or did not meet the criteria, were excluded from the study so that left 839 children that met the parameters for the study; which basically meant looking at the behavior of small curves that were for the most part below 20 degrees and therefore did not require treatment. Unlike the U.S. Ethics Committee, the Ethics Committee in Greece would never allow a control group! Children who progressed in the study were promptly treated!!!!!

These children were followed over a period of 3.2 years. There were only 102 patients with initial curves above 20 degrees that met the criteria for the study. The 27 children with curves above 30 degrees were seen twice and then eliminated from the study because they required treatment.

Basically,what the study is saying is that curves under 20 degrees for the most part do not progress and some small curves ~ 12 degrees average can spontaneously resolve! Curves under 20 degrees are normally not treated because the chance of progression is something like 15%. The authors found that 14.7% progressed. I think its important to clarify any misunderstandings.

Words to live by:

Normally, I would never point out someone getting (data) wrong. But in your particular case, it is of a piece with a casual, untrained approach to the literature that is common among lay folks.