PDA

View Full Version : My Surgery

lindzi_11
22nd November 2004, 07:10 PM
Now I have enough energy in me to write about my surgery experiance in point form :-)

- The morning of the surgery: I was awake and had to be at the hospital for around 6:30ish in the morning. My surgery was at 8:00ish. It took them about hour to screen me etc etc before. Then like 10min before my surgery the docter came out to talk to me about the Thoracplasty. And i turned that offer down. I didn't wanna go through too much pain and I dunno I just didn't wanna do it. If it bothered me alot later I'd get it done.

-After the surgery I thought I was in the recovery room for 10min... but really I was there for 5 hours!!!! Shows how "all there" I was. My curve was broughten down to 12 degrees... it went from 70 degrees to 12! WOW! I didn't expect that good being since I like NEVER wore my brace I was supposed to wear 23 hours a day hehe. I could move my feet etc etc and I was fine to go into my own private room. I was on lots of morphine! So much that my parents were laughing at all the stupid things I said and did. Oh it was horrible I was yelling at nurses and even singing "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake... wow I don't know what got into me. And also this went on for the 1st 4 nights and days. The 2nd and third day I was whining that "i had to go!" and like walk and stuff. The third night was BAD! I was on so much morphine that there was TOOOOOOOO much fluid in my lungs causing them to collapse.. APPARENTLY i wasn't breathing that night but I think I was! Aww they made me wear that STUPID oxygen mask ir was either that or the nose thingys. Also they brought a big x-ray machine in my room too to take chest x-rays! There were like 10 people by my bed that night! I thought I was dreaming! I looked up and I saw the x-ray thingy and I'm still puzzled how they got that in there! Crazyyy! The 5th night started to get a bit better.... I was just on 2 codine and 2 tylenol every 4 hours. And I walked around ALOT! Thats like 1/2 the reason why I came home earlier all I did was walk walk walk. Sleeping was painful... the pillows sucked they were FLAT! And day by day I felt a bit better. LoL my dad would buy my Iced Cappicino's those HELPED alot! hehehehhehe.
And now I sit at home.... bored and recovering. Still in some pain... can't ever sleep and yah thats my story =) and also my ribs are very small anyways and thoracplasty would have been pointless =)!

The End =) any questions feel free to ask :-)

BarmyArmy
22nd November 2004, 08:34 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better and it's amazing that they managed to get your curve down to 12 degrees. :niceone: I hope you're taking things easy just now :squeeze:

andrea
22nd November 2004, 08:34 PM
No questions yet Lindzi, although I may well be knocking at your door in another 10 years or so..

Just wanted to say well done on a great correction (again) and for coming through still smiling. Your story must be very inspirational for those with surgery coming up or in the future, as are all the stories on here.

Keep relaxing and getting better and stronger and take care of yourself. :squeeze:

butterflylr
22nd November 2004, 09:52 PM
CONGRATS on the great curve reduction! Also, glad to see you are getting your energy back. You will be back to torturing boys in no time! ;-)

Is that a normal thing to have happen with the fluid in the lungs? I really hope that I can get surgery. Is that weird of me?

This question is for anyone who has had surgery...

Did you have pain before surgery and is the pain less after? This may not apply to you yet Lindz cause you are still having surgery pain is my guess.

I would like to see some pics of your scar if you don't mind. Do you have pics of before and after x-rays? That would be cool to see! :-)

lindzi_11
22nd November 2004, 10:24 PM
YES! Pictures are being developed.. but i have no x-rays.. they didn't let me take those home at all!!!!!

BlueIce
22nd November 2004, 10:33 PM
@ Lindsay (butterflylr): I had pain before surgery, because of a car crash I had a year before that. Before the crash there was pain too, but only if I'd been standing all day or had been lifting heavy things (and most peoples backs hurt when they do that so it didn't bother me). The pain got worse after the crash and it started hurting when I had to study too (like when I had exams). I still have some pain from surgery, so I don't really know if that'll go away. It's a different pain though, and now it's mostly located at the bottom.

Abbi
22nd November 2004, 11:05 PM
That is such a great story, I am so glad that your surgery went well and that you got such a good correction!
Hope you are recovering well....just remember to take it easy....get your friends to be at your beck and call...im sure they won't mind...lol
Thanks for sharing that with us, Can't wait to see your pictures!

Kayla
23rd November 2004, 01:26 AM
I am glad your back here and I hope the pain is slimming down!

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 01:28 AM
Mehh.. its sliming down but then it isn't. I can't sleep... thats my #1 problem right now.

Kayla
23rd November 2004, 04:15 AM
That is all I did after surgery.

Blair
23rd November 2004, 04:29 AM
I found I slept really odd hours following my op... I'd be up all day except for a couple random naps... And then sleep a couple hours at night, and be up for several hours in the very early morning. I can't even count the number of times I was up on the computer at 2 am because I couldn't sleep...

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 04:42 AM
I just find it totally uncomfortable! I toss and turn alot in bed too.

Marti
23rd November 2004, 05:10 AM
I slept a lot in the hospital, but starting my last night in the hospital I went at least 3 or 4 days without ever really falling asleep. I'd sleep for a few hours at night, but for someone who usually sleeps at least 10 hours if able to, that was nothing. I think it was the codeine that screwed up my sleep habits. Although I don't know why.

jfkimberly
23rd November 2004, 08:20 AM
GREAT story, Lindzi! And, again, that is an amazing correction! 70 to 12 degrees... absolutely incredible! (certainly better than 50% reduction, eh?)

Amazed Jean
23rd November 2004, 08:36 AM
Your correction is Amazing! Congratulations and welcome back.

Liv
23rd November 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by lindzi_11@Nov 22 2004, 07:10 PM
I was on lots of morphine! So much that my parents were laughing at all the stupid things I said and did. Oh it was horrible I was yelling at nurses and even singing "Cry Me a River" by Justin Timberlake...
The strange effect of morphine on the human brain cells... :D

You did really well, Lindzi! Now hold on, and you'll feel strong and new in no time! :niceone:

Abbi
23rd November 2004, 05:33 PM
hehe....sorry but that is so funny....I can actually see you doing that!!!

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 09:30 PM
LoL! Thanks everyoneeee! WoW i really hate the numbness, and I hear it goes away SLOWLY! And like trying to sit back in chairs is like so weird!

BlueIce
23rd November 2004, 09:39 PM
yup.. my hump is still numb. One hint: don't try to rub your back dry with a towel :-o I learned that the hard way :-) But the top of my scar is more sensitive because I can't touch that as good as the bottom. So stimulating the area definatly helps.

Ryansmum
23rd November 2004, 09:45 PM
Well done Lindzi its a lot to go through all that and come out with a sense of humour still :D Have you had to adjust to being straight now when you do stuff? Like do you sit differently now to how you used to? Just interested if it affects that sort of thing :spin:

lindzi_11
23rd November 2004, 09:50 PM
Yah i feel kinda weird. LoL I do sit straighter and like slouching..forget it I can't do that anymore. I'm gonna get like good marks in school for posture lol.

Abbi
24th November 2004, 04:19 PM
lol....yeah thats one thing I am looking forward to. cos my mum is always like "abbi sit up straight" and when i slouch it looks bad, like im not interested or whatever

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
24th November 2004, 05:04 PM
Wonderful story Lindzi - It's an inspiration to those who are awaiting surgery, and what beautiful posture you'll have now!!
Make the most of the time off, and rest as much as possible.

Crazy16girl
24th November 2004, 05:46 PM
I think ive been asked about 10 times since my op why i sit so straight. So i have to tell the whole story. But people can notice when someone sits straight =]

Blair
24th November 2004, 05:49 PM
I actuall kinda can still slouch a bit... :-D It doesn't look like it used to... But it sure feels good. :-P

gabrielle
25th November 2004, 05:47 AM
Glad to hear your surgery went so well. Your correction is truly impressive!! Sorry to hear you're not sleeping well, but maybe all our collective hope for you will help!

Amazed Jean
25th November 2004, 05:57 AM
Lindzi, Nice little narrative on the surgery. It was concise, informational and entertaining. I give it an A. I am so glad you got such a good correction. Anyone that's as beautiful as you are deserves a beautiful posture too. Congrats. Jean

lindzi_11
25th November 2004, 05:31 PM
:-) aww thanks guys :kiss:

Kaja
25th November 2004, 06:05 PM
I can still slouch.. :D Only 5 fused levels 8)

Your story is cool to read! Reminds me of when I had it.

Joy
25th November 2004, 06:20 PM
I can still slouch and I have 12 levels fused.... But I've only recently been able to slouch.

Blair
25th November 2004, 07:41 PM
Yup. I had 12 levels done too... I can still slouch because I have really ugly, slouchy shoulders to begin with... So all I do is let my head go forwards, relax my shoulders, and I'm sloucheriffic!

jfkimberly
26th November 2004, 10:01 AM
I'm having a fit of jealousy again. I just deleted my post. *giggle*

elvinwarrior
26th November 2004, 10:32 PM
I still can slouch (though I almost never do, being a posture freak) but I only have 3 or 4 vertabrae fused.

Marti
28th November 2004, 08:49 PM
I can still slouch too! But that would make sense, since Kaja and I had basically the same fusion :-D

Abbi
30th November 2004, 05:47 PM
I kinna walk in a slouched way....I hate it....I look bad....I mean i am nearly bent over to the left!
My mum always says to me...."I wish I could just take your back and straigthen it, without you having to go through this operation"

andrea
30th November 2004, 09:43 PM
That's what us mums always think.If only I could take Erin's back and straighten it, life would be easy. Sounds a flippant comment, I know, as you can't obviously, but sometimes it just seems that easy.