PDA

View Full Version : Schroth method in UK - how effective is it?

goodjob
15th July 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi , just wondering if anyone has experience in Scoliosissos (Suffolk or London), which is perhaps the only schroth method centre in UK ?

My mum has scoliosis with 80 degree angle , 64 years old , and is dioganised with instability of one lumber on the spine. The instability concerns us as we are not sure whether the Schroth method will even have detrimental effects on her.

If anyone has any experience with the scoliosis sos centre , I would be very grateful if you could share it with us.

Thanks

tonibunny
15th July 2009, 12:19 AM
Hi, welcome to SSO! :welcome2:

Scoliosis SOS doesn't actually teach the Schroth Method; instead they have their own method called Scoliogold which is a hybrid of various physiotherapy methods for scoliosis.

There are a handful of individual physiotherapists in the UK who are Schroth certified, including Joanna Slup at ScoliosisInLondon, who is currently treating the daughter of one of our members with very encouraging results.

Is your mum currently under the care of a spinal doctor? I think it would be a good idea for her to be kept an eye on by a medic, even if she chooses to try alternative therapies.

Amazed Jean
15th July 2009, 05:02 AM
Hello and please give your Mom a hello from me. As you can read from my signature I am 58 years old. I have no first hand knowledge of any clinics but I thought she might want to come to the site and Chat if she knew there were more fossils out here with scoliosis.

mark
15th July 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Welcome to SSO

This kind of treatment is unfortunately unavailable on the NHS and can cost in the region of 4 thousand pounds. Unfortunately that is out with of a lot of people in this current climate for un proven treatment.

Have you considered the Alexander Technique, a number of members on this site have or have used it in the past.

With a lot of these treatments patients have to carryon doing the exercises for the rest of there lives in order to maintain any correction.

Unfortunately this condition we suffer from is structural rather than postural and therefore once a treatment is halted or stopped the spine will tend to drift back into what it thinks is the normal position (my opinion only)

Once again welcome to SSO and whatever treatment route you take i hope it is successful