PDA

View Full Version : A stupid Q....

Abbi
19th November 2004, 11:59 PM
ok guys....this is prob a really dumb Q....but yeah here goes....

Why is there pain after surgery?
I just don't get it...I mean while you r being operated on, you cant feel it cos u r put to sleep....but then when u wake up...PAIN.....why?!?! i just don't get it....

and why is there so much pain with scoli surgery?

jamiebug44
20th November 2004, 12:00 AM
i dont kown

Little~shedevil~dee
20th November 2004, 12:04 AM
maybe its from where they have operating on its made it sore
i was like that after i had an operation not scoliosis tho

Kaja
20th November 2004, 12:07 AM
Because all your organs have been pushed around, your rib has been removed, your lung has been pierced and deflated, your spine has been moved alot and got rods and screws, you have your scar, all your muscles have been moved around...? :-o It hurts! It's not like everything's healed when you wake up! :-(

Shouldn't be THAT hard to get :P

Little~shedevil~dee
20th November 2004, 12:09 AM
yeah what kaja said lol

Abbi
20th November 2004, 12:13 AM
awww right ok...sorry im having a stupid day today!!! **eek** feel wick!!

Blair
20th November 2004, 12:32 AM
Yup. While surgery "fixes" your back, the Dr's have to do a lot of actual damage to get it done... Removing muscles from spine, drilling through bone, stretching still connected muscles, etc... from their usual position to another...

Abbi
20th November 2004, 12:45 AM
yeah cos i was watching the "extreme surgery" video with my mum....and the little girl sara was in so much pain!

my mum was like aw abbi, do you really have to go through that....im so scared for you....

elvinwarrior
20th November 2004, 01:01 AM
Well, you know how it hurts if you get a cut? The doctors just sliced you up; that's bound to hurt. Also having shoved everything around.

lindzi_11
20th November 2004, 02:58 AM
Yah what elvinwarrior said lol

Marti
20th November 2004, 03:07 AM
Now remember, Abbi, there are no stupid questions. And obviously you'd jsut never had it explained. So don't feel stupid.

But yeah, like everyone else said. also, you feel really crummy because General Anesthesia takes a real toll on your body. It basically shuts everything down, so all your organs (like your intestines) have to wake back up.

sins
20th November 2004, 01:11 PM
See, it's not such a daft question, because myself and pauline were discussing the same thing a few weeks ago.You see we had NO pain after surgery and during my 6 months stay in hospital I saw three patients have their fusion surgery each week and they had little or no pain as well.
I think the newer surgeries are more painful because the hardware is screwed into the bones and maybe that's where the pain comes from.
Needless to say the corrections we got were rubbish anyway so we didn't have the sudden alteration of our internal muscles.
We also had several weeks to rest after the ops before walking again.I didn't move for two weeks after mine so I had some time to heal.Now you're up and about two days later and it's gotta be tough.
Try not to worry so much about the pain aspect.If you're mentally prepared and determined enough to go through it with a positive mental attitude I think you go through it a lot easier.Also if you have bad pain, ask the doctors for something stronger.
Sins

BlueIce
20th November 2004, 07:45 PM
what sins says is true. I expected a hell of a lot pain for my surgery, but after all it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined.

Crazy16girl
21st November 2004, 03:38 PM
I had hardly any pain after surgery. Only when they had to turn me over and when i was sick (reaching is horrible, pulls ya muscles) about 2-3 times a day.

lindzi_11
21st November 2004, 04:23 PM
Mine wasn't too too bad either but it still was painful... the 1st 4 days were hell for me!

Abbi
21st November 2004, 10:18 PM
What was it like having the chest tube pulled out...cos I saw a proggy and a guy was in so much, pain, it looked so sore!!!

elvinwarrior
21st November 2004, 10:30 PM
The chest tube actually didn't hurt all that much coming out; I thought it was going to but it just felt really weird. What's a proggy?

Abbi
21st November 2004, 10:33 PM
A proggy is a programme, on tv....I shorten words a lot, and tend to use a lot of slag too....sorry!

Crazy16girl
21st November 2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Nov 21 2004, 10:18 PM
What was it like having the chest tube pulled out...cos I saw a proggy and a guy was in so much, pain, it looked so sore!!!
It hurt a lil. But it was just more uncomfortable than anything. :-?

Abbi
21st November 2004, 10:48 PM
what was the most painful thing about surgery?

Jonny
21st November 2004, 10:54 PM
Probably my least painful thing, thankfully, was when they took the chest drain out - I was lucky and it didn't hurt at all.

The most painful moment - probably when I was about a day post-thoracoplasty and the stupid bloody radiographer STABBED me in the middle of the thoracoplasty with the sharp corner of an x-ray film. Did I scream! :-D

Waking up from both operations wasn't painful at all, being competely full of morphine and anaesthetic, but when it wears off a little you start to feel pretty battered.

Abbi
21st November 2004, 10:59 PM
aw man...that sucks....I would have screamed the place down, and told him/her that they were so dumb.....but then again thats not very nice is it?

elvinwarrior
21st November 2004, 11:00 PM
Getting the tube in my wrist taken out. Well, it wasn't really a tube; I think it was for my pulse? But that hurt like nothing had ever hurt before. :cry:

Jonny
21st November 2004, 11:11 PM
...your arterial line? for your blood pressure? For my second stage, I didn't have to take mine out... it fell out :-o

Arterial bleeding - that was scary.

elvinwarrior
21st November 2004, 11:15 PM
Ah, yes, that's the one. How did it fall out?

Jonny
21st November 2004, 11:18 PM
Well, it was the morning after the night before, and I was lying in intensive care fed up of all the tubes, and they were just about to take it out when I felt this wet thing on the top of my head. I looked up and it was a little cannula on the end of a tube, dangling over my head. I then looked at my wrist, which was spurting blood. :woe: :cop:

Crazy16girl
21st November 2004, 11:20 PM
The most painfull bit for me was either when they took the tube things out of my neck (the bloody nurse was old and wore glasses and had to take a tiny stitch out) or when this cow of a nurse who everyone hated turned me over but put her hands right on my chest drain. I could of killed her.

Jonny
21st November 2004, 11:23 PM
The central line in my neck didn't bother me until I saw it coming out... it kept coming, and coming, and coming, and then I found out it goes all the way down to your heart :-o but it didn't hurt. Tracy, the nurse wasn't called Grace by any chance was she?

elvinwarrior
21st November 2004, 11:24 PM
Ouch, luckily enough I didn't have too many incompetent nurses. Although the student nurses weren't great; I had a painful experience with 2 of them turning me.

Marti
21st November 2004, 11:47 PM
for me the most painful part was when the nurse decided I was doing so well she'd just give me regular tylenol when I was taken off of the morphine, instead of tylenol with codeine. and she didn't tell us. So I was basically in how much pain I would have been in without any pain killers. Because for some reason tylenol doesn't get rid of ANY types of pain for me.

The chest tube was a bit painful, but it only lasted about three seconds and like everyone else said, it was more uncomfortable than painful.

Oh, also, when they shoot saline into your IV, that really stings for a few minutes. But I could deal with that pain, becuase it was normal pain, like when you skin your knee and put antiseptic stuff on it.

Joy
22nd November 2004, 03:55 PM
It was really painful for me when they took my chest tube out... the were yanking my stitches!!

I think the reason it hurst after surgery is because your nerves are still working and all the chemicals that signal pan are still there during surgery. It's just that you don't register it because you're unconcious. So the initial pain from the incision makes you more sensitive. Like when you cut your finger really badly, it might hurt to touch it for a few days.

Blair
23rd November 2004, 12:32 PM
The parallytic illeus was the biggest problem for me... Basically, my intestines didn't start working again after my surgery. They let me eat before they should have. That was MISERABLE. Throwing up was awful, and my stomach became incredibly distended. If it had gone on a lot longer, I would probably have needed a surgery to remove sections of intestine that would have been killed off.
While that was happening, I was in so much pain that I couldn't even walk (I'd been up and walking down the hall the day before). Of course, that was the time that they took me down for my first X-ray (that I can remember). I had to be rolled around on a gurney. Couldn't even get up in a wheelchair. And they had to have the nurses transfer me to the gurney.
And when I had to stand up, I was sweating bullets and chattering my teeth ... I get VERY cold when I'm in pain for some reason.
I almost had to stay in the hospital longer because of it. But it resolved during the night, and I managed to get through the physical therapy stair climbing lessons and the occupational therapy "using the shower" and "getting into and out of a car" lessons so I got to go home
I had the same thing (on a lesser scale thankfully) with my first surgery....

I can't remember anything about the actual scoliosis surgery being too terrible except for waking up in the recovery room... That was no fun. I'm pretty sure that was the only other time I cried (from pain... I did cry when my surgeon told me I had to suck it up and work harder if I wanted to get well... He thought I hadn't been out of bed yet... But I'd been up and walking out in the hall... So my poor drugged up feelings got incredibly hurt...) following my surgery... That stomach thing was the only thing I remember being particularly *awful*

Abbi
25th November 2004, 03:29 PM
awww that seems so tough blair! I had to take a lady down for a clonoscopy (sp?) today....(I am on work placement in the hospital for college) she seemed pretty drugged up and tired after it...poor woman!

I am not really looking forwrad to this surgery now......

Jonny
25th November 2004, 11:06 PM
Abbi it's a miserable thing to go through but it's SO worth it in the end, especially with someone like you - you've got two curves they'll be able to make a huge difference to, and your pain will be hugely reduced :-)

Abbi
25th November 2004, 11:13 PM
really...? i hope so....I have a few things I really im not looking forward to -
1.saying goodbye to my parents b4 hand
2. THE PAIN
3. Not being able to bend and twist like normal
4.The Scar!

Jonny
25th November 2004, 11:16 PM
1. No need - ask them to come into the anaesthetic room with you, and they have to do the goodbyes ;-)
2. It's not for long, and it needn't be particularly bad pain if you're looked after well.
3. You get used to it... you don't lose much flexibility anyway, and the rest of our body compensates perfectly adequately.
4. Scar shmar... other people think they look cool ;-)

Abbi
25th November 2004, 11:19 PM
ok im ok about the first three! but scars cool?!?!yeah sure....scars r ugly...and red and yucky...and they look like you have been ate by a shark or summit!!!

jfkimberly
26th November 2004, 09:08 AM
Ahem. Abbi, hon... don't forget that most of us on this site have scars... *sweet smile*

No, but really. Jonny's absolutely right. Scars are something to be proud of. It shows you're a survivor. And, really, with the degree of your curves, a thin scar going down your back is nothing compared to what you could live with if you left your scoliosis unchecked. Ask Jean and I about it. We'd trade with you in a heartbeat. No hesitation.

Abbi
26th November 2004, 03:46 PM
yeah i suppose, i am sorry i just totally slagged all ur scars....which r really good looking now!

I am thinking after surgery to go and have oxygen treatment....its at a place in belfast...and people go to it who have MS and ppl went to it after surgeries and their scars healed quicker! has anyone heard of oxygen treatment?

sins
26th November 2004, 06:52 PM
I agree with Kimberly.A scar in minor when compared to what can happen cosmetically if you don't have the surgery.Don't be put off by the scars in the gallery.Most of them are fresh and make you look like you've been freshly filletted, but if you have good skin you should heal well without the need for anything else.Try not to focus too much on the surgery at this stage as it's so far away.it's natural though to have all those concerns.
Sins

Little~shedevil~dee
26th November 2004, 07:23 PM
if i do need surgery i want care about the scars as i have so many all ready lol

elvinwarrior
26th November 2004, 09:44 PM
Abbi, *sniff, sniff* you think my side is ugly? (kidding) Well, it's been about 7 months since my surgery and you really can't see the scar all that much, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I think it's gorgeous, and so do most people to whom I have shown it. :-D

Abbi
26th November 2004, 10:02 PM
sorri i didnt mean to offend you in any way! its just i saw my friends scar from her bowel and appendix surgery and it was so big and red (and this is a year later) but she doesnt really care...like she sez wen she goes swimming ppl r like uhhh and she is like yes....and ur problem is??

So has anyone heard of this oxygen treatment then?

jfkimberly
27th November 2004, 01:49 AM
I haven't heard of it specifically to help heal scars, but it sounds like a good idea in theory. Is it very expensive? Oh! Consult a dermatologist. They should know if it would be worth the cost.

Blair
27th November 2004, 02:06 AM
My scar isn't bad at all, except for the top of it... If it hadn't abscessed, it would practically be invisible..
The one on my stomach, OTOH (which I STILL need to get a pic of) isn't so neat and pretty. At its widest, it's close to 3/4" wide, tends to turn a funky purple color when I'm cold, and is a bit puffy...
I was told something to the effect that Scoliosis surgery scars tend to not be as bad as abdominal surgery scars because abdominal surgeries bleed a lot more...

gabrielle
27th November 2004, 06:39 AM
Being 42 and already having a number of scars (some of which are the product of my own idiocy) I don't care about getting more. Abbi- you can use vitamin e oil on the scar areas once they've healed. It should help the scars fade quicker and better. I also have a salve which has some wonderful stuff in it that helps a great deal with scars. If you want to try something like it my advice is to either go to a Natural Foods Store or maybe look online. The ingredients are:extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, echinacea purpurea flowers, comfrey leaf, Oregon Grape root, Burdock root, Yarrow flowers, Calendula flowers, and vitamin e oil. I work in a bakery and get little burns pretty often. The salve works wonders on them! :-D

jfkimberly
27th November 2004, 06:44 AM
Speaking of helping scars to fade, have any of you ever heard of/tried Mederma (http://www.mederma.com/)?

Abbi
27th November 2004, 08:17 PM
I saw an add in a magazine for stuff for scars...they call it bio oil. anyone heard of it?

Kim ~ I don't know how much it costs to get oxygen treatment, not that dear i expect, cos it is a charity!

elvinwarrior
28th November 2004, 01:54 AM
I used Vitamin E on my scar for a while. It may have helped; one never can tell with those things.

Marti
28th November 2004, 05:47 AM
I LOVE my scar. My doctor gave me instructions on how to do some lotion thing to make it fade, but I don't want it to fade more. Whenever people talk about how I'm a wimp, I can just pull up my shirt and laugh at their expressions.

butterflylr
28th November 2004, 08:02 AM
That's great Marti! I love that! Tell them TAKE THAT! WUSS! :D

Abbi
28th November 2004, 02:00 PM
thats cool!!!!

lindzi_11
28th November 2004, 04:35 PM
OOOOOO i like that one Marti!

Kaja
28th November 2004, 05:37 PM
Haha :D I LOVE my scar too. Ah.