PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ryan..

Ryansmum
17th November 2004, 08:25 PM
well we went for his fitting today.A lady strolled past with what looked like a boston brace but it was for a leg LOL..It was so skinny its untrue!!!!! :spin: Now my Ryan is a twiglet but this looked weeny..We were called in and sure enough that was 'ours'.Ryan got all excited and stripped off everything without being asked! Andrew measured all his bits and got out a jigsaw..as in power tool from under his desk and just attacked the brace :lol: I couldnt help laughing as I said thats what most people would love to do probably!! After a few cuts and scrapes we were ready for the biggie trying on..I was getting a bit teary by then but had to keep on smiling! After a few scribbles and more measuring we are all set now to pick it up next wednesday for good..Ryan promptly jumped into a chair in his usual fashion and realised he wont be doing that again :oops: It needs a bit of trimming down there!!!!!!So far so good and without all your help we wouldnt have got this far :squeeze: Unfortunately we found out when we asked he has 3 curves not 2 as us mere mortals thought when staring at the xray with his worst one being 50 degrees approx..they'll give me more specifics next week he said.Still nagging for the MRI :nut: but feeling more positive about it all now as Ryan seemed perfectly happy so thats the main thing :D

BlueIce
17th November 2004, 08:40 PM
keep up the positive attitude, you're both doing great! Let's hope Ryan adjusts to his brace very well and that the curves will be stable or get better

Abbi
17th November 2004, 08:52 PM
awe thats awesome! But three curves wow thats werid! Good luck with the brace, im sure its not easy to see your child go through all of this, and im sure its all so over whelming at first, but remember to keep up that positive attitude ))Echo((
And also remember we will ALWAYS be here for you and Ryan when you need us, cos most of us have been through it all before!

Ryansmum
17th November 2004, 09:02 PM
yeah I thought 3 was weird he said the bottom one by his bot and the one at the top above his 'bump' are compensatory curves which I saw someone say something about on another posting so I'm just hunting for it now :D

andrea
17th November 2004, 09:31 PM
It sounds like you guys got on really well today and are looking at it in such a positive way, which is so important. Ryan being happy with it all is probably the most important thing as it means he will wear it.

Three curves sounds very interesting - not sure i've seen that before. I think compensatory curves develop to "balance" the body out - Erin had a very small one when she was diagnosed which may have got bigger as time went on.

Keep smiling :spin:

Amazed Jean
17th November 2004, 11:26 PM
Hey, its me I have 3 curves. They are 150 - 88 - 50 and some doctors say that the 88 and the 50 are compensating curves that help me be able to walk. I don't have any idea. I can walk and talk but my first curve is high in my neck. The next one is the 150 and those two are so jumbled up with bones, ribs etc. that my later x-rays are hard to read. I just wish a)that I could breathe and b) that I had a neck. Ryan, I am quite sure will do fine. He's young and strong and he's got a Mom that cares deeply and we are here to listen or talk to him or you if you need us. Once again though I want to remind you to try to keep a notebook. Ryan might want to keep one too. He can write down his feelings etc. and stuff he wants to ask the doctor but let it be his private notebook so he feels the power to do something about his spine odyssey.

Kaja
17th November 2004, 11:34 PM
I have three curves, and they were 35/57/30 pre op. My surgeon said that the top and bottom one was my bodys way of straightening me, keeping my head up and my hip down 8) Kind of clever :P Though having three curves sucks :-(

I hope Ryan does well in his new brace!

BarmyArmy
17th November 2004, 11:38 PM
I'm glad everything went okay today, it's also good that Ryan was happy enough during the fitting, he's coping well with this.

You're doing great too :squeeze: I hope this helps Ryan. :niceone:

sins
18th November 2004, 12:14 AM
That's probably the worst bit over Dee.Hopefully he can adjust to the brace at his own pace over the next few weeks.You're so very lucky to have discovered it at 50 degrees.It could have become so much worse so quickly at his age.It sounds like he's a model patient!

Marti
18th November 2004, 02:30 AM
I'm so glad the fitting went well. I hope he adjusts easily, and it sounds like he will. Good luck!

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
18th November 2004, 11:46 AM
: :niceone: -) Glad all went okay for the fittiing- Just keep up the positive attitude you already have - I think it's the only way to deal with it. Just keep smiling :-)
Ryan will pick up on your moods - as I've been quick to discover with Sarah.
Best of luck!!