PDA

View Full Version : A rant about the gym

Abbi
17th November 2004, 05:34 PM
hi guys....ok today has been the 2nd day at gym for me and my friend...only today we stayed only 1 hour and 15mins instead of 2 1/2 hours like last time...and well my mum is cooking a fry for our tea...and yeah well im just gunna put it all on again...I burned off 700cals last time and then today 300! But i dont seem to lose much weight...apart from a few pounds....I so need to lose weight...cos im so heavy!
I walk loads tho...I dunno if the gym is worth while....although I wanna tone up my flabby tummy....and get more muscles...cos Im a little weakling....! ;-)

butterflylr
17th November 2004, 05:36 PM
Well remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you are gaining weight, than it might be from muscle gain. Keep up the good work! I have such a hard time doing any workout routine.

Do lots of aerobic and you should shed pounds but then also do muscle gaining so you can tone up and look HOT! :-)

Abbi
17th November 2004, 05:44 PM
lol!!! yeah at the moment we are working on losing weight....and then toning up!!!

BlueIce
17th November 2004, 06:00 PM
may I ask how much you weigh and how tall you are?
Don't worry, if it's only been the second day then it'll take a while before you really notice any difference. I went to the gym for 2.5 months last year and I didn't lose much weight but I did feel fitter and that was enough for me :-)

Abbi
17th November 2004, 06:02 PM
I am 5' 8" ans I am 10st

Blair
17th November 2004, 06:09 PM
I ran a lot before my op to get into good shape. I didn't get any sort of a weight change for close to a week.
Also, I did best just doing light works several days a week. A couple miles on the track three or four days a week and eating sensibly in between did a LOT for me
Don't worry if you gain muscle before losing fat. I've lost close to 2 pant sizes since my surgery, and I have lost an entire 3 pounds.
Just looked at your pics in the gallery. I honestly dont think you even need to lose much weight, if any. You're a healthy weight. I think if you just toned up a bit, you'd be all set!

Abbi
17th November 2004, 06:14 PM
yeah so need to tone up my flabby tummy....and legs...lol

Abbi
17th November 2004, 06:15 PM
mind you....I do have a lot of muscles from walking a lot...in my legs..just below the knee...my mum was like wow look at your legs....thats all that walking...lol!

Ryansmum
17th November 2004, 07:35 PM
Hey Abbi you don't look to me like you need to lose any weight you look just right as you are..I wish I was like that still LOL,since having the boys I have few more wobbly bits than I would really like :oops:

Little~shedevil~dee
17th November 2004, 07:52 PM
i want to lose some more weight as i am no longer at my target weight
i also want to tone up my tummy and the tops of my legs as they are so fat
also my hips have a bit of fat on which i want to lose

Becky
17th November 2004, 08:45 PM
I'm so tiny at the top but then i got a huge bum and thighs! Well.....I wouldn't say huge, but i'm not in propotion (is that the right word?)

I want to go to the gym just to tone up.

titch
17th November 2004, 09:56 PM
As long as you're toned, don't worry about the actual weight. The last time I was as low as 10 stone, I was 5ft10, and at that weight I was so painfully thin that people were questioning whether I ever ate. You could play xylophone on my ribs, and you could even see my pelvis at the back when I got just a little smaller :-o A lot of people of similar height would be at a good weight at 10 stone though, so it's really individual. Looking good and feeling good is what counts, so as long as you're toned and fit it's all good :-)

Abbi
17th November 2004, 10:07 PM
yeah u can c my ribs too....look at my pics....!!!

titch
17th November 2004, 10:14 PM
I've just had a look, and you certainly can. Seriously, just get toned and fit - you're fine :-)

Kaja
17th November 2004, 10:16 PM
I just started to work out at the gym :D I can see some changes, but not too much yet. It'll come. It feels so good though :P I'd like a flatter tummy, and just basically get back in shape. I've quit ballet, and should work out :P

elvinwarrior
18th November 2004, 12:18 AM
I don't exercise much at all. And I weigh 116 pounds so I'm not too worried, although it might be good for me to get exercise. :angel:

lindzi_11
18th November 2004, 03:24 PM
Aww it sux... Before this surgery I was starting to get abs... now i completely LOST them!

Joy
18th November 2004, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about it Lindzi. It take a while to get back to normal after surgery, but it will happen!! And please please please don't push yourself too hard.

I stopped going the gym because people kept asking me if I was anorexic. :soapbox:

Little~shedevil~dee
18th November 2004, 06:14 PM
i must be about 10 stone something i havent been weighed in ages as i am worried if i have put weight on

i have a very big bum but i love it so does my b/f lol

Abbi
18th November 2004, 06:51 PM
lol...yeah i have a big butt and thighs....thats wer all the fat goes!

Crazy16girl
18th November 2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Little~shedevil~dee@Nov 17 2004, 07:52 PM
Thats exactly like me :-)

im 5"3 and im 9 stone...ive put on in the last 4 months :cry:

butterflylr
18th November 2004, 08:36 PM
Man, I forgot how much a stone was...

Someone help me out please!

Kaja
18th November 2004, 09:28 PM
I only do kgs :???:

Crazy16girl
18th November 2004, 09:55 PM
14 pounds if that helps.

butterflylr
18th November 2004, 10:04 PM
Very much! Don't mind me if I end up asking again at some later date. :-)

Blair
18th November 2004, 10:12 PM
I don't think I'm ever going to be able to commit the number of pounds to a stone to memory either... I've only been told a million and a half times...

Jonny
18th November 2004, 10:42 PM
I remember that there are 16 somethings in something and also 14 something elses in something else, and then I remember weighing out 16 ounces of stuff to bake cakes with when I was little, which reminds me how many ounces in a pound.

Process of elimination: there must be __ pounds in a stone. Blair, fill the gap in ;-) nobody tell her!

Marti
19th November 2004, 01:33 AM
I weigh... about 8.214 stones. although you must have a better way of measuring, because my number was very long. I don't exercise much. I know I should, but I do so much stuff already I just don't have time... speech team, writers showcase, upstart crows, first class, chamber singers, violin, choir, youth group...

Blair
19th November 2004, 03:25 AM
Gah. Big number. 10.7 Stone for me at 5'6" But at least it's mostly muscle.

lindzi_11
19th November 2004, 04:32 AM
I'm now 5''4!!!! I have to brag about that!

butterflylr
19th November 2004, 04:37 AM
What were you before?

lindzi_11
19th November 2004, 04:39 AM
I was 5''1 and a 1/2!!! And dying to be taller!

butterflylr
19th November 2004, 04:40 AM
NICE! :D

jfkimberly
19th November 2004, 05:59 AM
Lindz! You gained 2.5 inches?! I'm so jealous! I hope you're recovering quickly so you can get out there and show off how tall you are now. How are you feeling?

Abbi
19th November 2004, 01:54 PM
wow thats a lot.....I hope I grow more, although I don't need too cos I'malready 5' 8"....but I may grow....!! yeaay!

Little~shedevil~dee
19th November 2004, 02:22 PM
I'm 5ft 3

Crazy16girl
19th November 2004, 02:26 PM
I was 5ft1 and grew to 5ft4 :D

Abbi
19th November 2004, 02:37 PM
wow! thats so cool! I will grow then....hehe class!

Kaja
19th November 2004, 03:07 PM
I didn't grow much :P I'm 5ft6 now though :D

Little~shedevil~dee
19th November 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Crazy16girl+Nov 18 2004, 08:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Crazy16girl @ Nov 18 2004, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Little~shedevil~dee@Nov 17 2004, 07:52 PM
Thats exactly like me :-)

im 5"3 and im 9 stone...ive put on in the last 4 months :cry: [/b][/quote]
i'm not sure how uch i weigh now as its been ages since i have got weighed
but i think i am around 10 stone something
i should be 9 stone :woe:

Blair
19th November 2004, 08:01 PM
I only grew about an inch from my surgery...

Marti
19th November 2004, 11:05 PM
I think I grew the least of anyone I've heard about... only 1/2 an inch.

butterflylr
19th November 2004, 11:38 PM
Hey, I'll take that 1/2 inch! Anything!!!

Amazed Jean
20th November 2004, 12:03 AM
Hey you guys Just remember all your little people friends. There's Kimberly and Thaleis Spirit and me. We don't hope to see 5 foot but we'll celebrate your heights.

Little~shedevil~dee
20th November 2004, 12:07 AM
i like being short some ways and some ways not lol

Kaja
20th November 2004, 12:15 AM
Short is cute :D

Abbi
20th November 2004, 12:19 AM
yep short 'n' sweet lol (although im very tall...)

Little~shedevil~dee
20th November 2004, 12:21 AM
i think short is cute but i hate it when my lovely b/f puts things to high and i have to use some thing to climb up to get it
also i hate it because trousers are allways to long lol

elvinwarrior
20th November 2004, 12:58 AM
Oh, every single pair of pants I buy has to be hemmed. I don't think I gained any height from my surgery. Sad, but true.

jfkimberly
20th November 2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Kaja@Nov 19 2004, 07:15 PM
Short is cute :D
Fortunately, we're all short girls. Girls get to be "cute" if they're short. Guys aren't so lucky.

Little~shedevil~dee
20th November 2004, 02:10 PM
i know a guy who only 5ft4 or 5ft 5 he looks cute lol

Becky
20th November 2004, 02:40 PM
I don't want to grow anymore from my surgery, i'm 5'1" but I like it! My boyfriends fairly small, but he's tall enough to kiss me on my head!

butterflylr
20th November 2004, 04:05 PM
Short is good but I would still like an inch or two. Cause I swear I am shrinking. Every time I go to the doctor I am just a bit shorter and it's disappointing.

Short and sweet is it! :D

Jonny
20th November 2004, 05:48 PM
It is :-P I get rather annoyed when I go round the shops and find that if I'm *really* lucky I can find a pair of jeans I like with a 30" waist that fits, but most of the time it then has 32" legs (too long) and occasionally I find something with 30" legs but it's got a 47" waist!!

I only grew an inch to 5'6" which, in my peer group, is still very much on the short side of things, but I'm taller than I was and feel more confident with it.

elvinwarrior
21st November 2004, 02:17 AM
I know a guy who's 5'2".

jfkimberly
21st November 2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Jonny@Nov 20 2004, 12:48 PM
It is :-P I get rather annoyed when I go round the shops and find that if I'm *really* lucky I can find a pair of jeans I like with a 30" waist that fits, but most of the time it then has 32" legs (too long) and occasionally I find something with 30" legs but it's got a 47" waist!!
Jonny, do you ever wonder who those men are that buy size 47"-30" pants?

Hmm. How do you fit in 30" length pants? I buy 32" for myself, and I'm much shorter than you. Of course, they're a bit long on me... and I would have been 5'5" if I hadn't had scoliosis and stuff... But are you sure you couldn't wear 30"-32" pants? I'll bring some of my jeans for you to try on. I'm sure you could do with the extra 2".

Jonny
21st November 2004, 09:20 AM
32" leg swamp me - I just have short legs :-D although I probably have some femoral growth to do. Thanks though - can I take you up on the offer? Should be interesting.

jfkimberly
21st November 2004, 09:25 AM
Of course! I'll have them with me, anyway, as I typically wear jeans. You'll be at the party, right?

Jonny
21st November 2004, 09:28 AM
Naturally! :jump:

jfkimberly
22nd November 2004, 05:09 AM
Great! Now we just wait to see if my passport replacement arrives in time for my flight... *sigh*

ivanleg
22nd November 2004, 01:23 PM
Stop complaining about legs that are too long on your trousers!!!! You can cut the bl**dy things shorter can't you!!
Try finding trousers with legs at least 38" long then you'll see what real problems are. You can't just staple an extra 6" onto trousers but you can sure as hell shorten them easily enough.

This has been a political broadcast on behalf of the Tall and Lanky Party (otherwise known as Charlotte, Liv, Carly, Abbi and Ivy).

titch
22nd November 2004, 01:48 PM
Other half's mother has very short legs, and I know from experience of trying, there are some styles of trousers, boot-leg especially, which are more or less impossible to shorten without destroying the style. However, speaking as someone cursed with a 36" inside leg, I'm going to second Ivan that it's far harder to deal with excessively long legs than it is with short ones :-?

ivanleg
22nd November 2004, 01:51 PM
Whoops I forgot to include Titch in the Tall and Lanky Party.
Our numbers are growing by the minute! Soon we will take over SSO.

titch
22nd November 2004, 01:53 PM
Tall(ish) yes, lanky alas no :P :oops:

ivanleg
22nd November 2004, 02:06 PM
I put it to you, Ms T. Itch, that you have delightfully long and lanky hair and 36" legs and this qualifies you for membership of our party.

We would be most disappointed if you didn't pay your membership fee (a very reasonable 1250, payable to my account in the Bahamas). The money raised will be put to good use trying to find trousers long enough to fit our members. :(

titch
22nd November 2004, 02:14 PM
*hehehehe* That gave me a much needed laugh :D Definitely would be funnier though if trousers (and skirts come to that) were easier to get...

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 02:41 PM
yes us short people can shorten our trousers
but what if you cant sew well like me lol

tonibunny
22nd November 2004, 02:52 PM
I'm 5'3" and have a 32 inch inner leg measurement.....if I want to wear trousers with heels I usually get them 34" long. It makes my legs look longer :D

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd November 2004, 03:20 PM
i'm the same as you toni
i love wearing high heels

Joy
22nd November 2004, 03:51 PM
I have very long legs for my height.... but I don't like shopping anyway.

Marti
23rd November 2004, 04:29 AM
My cousin is 5'10" (at least) and always gives me her pants when she gets sick of them. so I get all these really nice pants, but they're over 4 inches too long for me. Luckily my grandmother is wonderful and shortens them for me.

jfkimberly
23rd November 2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Joy@Nov 22 2004, 10:51 AM
I have very long legs for my height.... but I don't like shopping anyway.
I'm with you, Joy. I don't like shopping, either. I think it's a combination of never quite having enough money to spend, and never finding anything that looks good enough on me to make the sacrifice of parting with what little money I do have.

Amazed Jean
23rd November 2004, 09:37 AM
My legs are made for the 5' 6" tall person I should have been. I always had a smallish waist (27 ) then I had a baby and my waist expanded and never got anywhere near 27". Sales clerks are always handing me short pants because I'm a short person. I put them on and they are mid calf. Its comical. The clerk then says but you're so short! I find them myself. I buy what looks half decent and take them home and whack off the bottoms and hem them myself.

titch
23rd November 2004, 11:02 AM
Sales assistants have all manner of irritating traits :evil: The one I hate most is that I am under no illusions of being slim. I am therefore also under no illusions of being anywhere near single digit sizing - heck, even when people were trying to force feed me because I was thin, I still had shoulders broad enough to need an 18 in a jacket to go across them! It was just the rest of it that hung around me in folds :P I've always had a good idea what size I need, and it just really winds me up when they say "oh, but you can't possibly need more than a 14, a 16 at the absolute most" and try to force me to try it on, whereupon we discover that no, actually I need the 18 or 20, and they're forced to admit they don't have it - why they can't just admit that in the first place, and accept that I *do* know what I want, instead of going through all that palaver is beyond me.

And Kim, I totally relate to being unable to find anything that actually looks decent enough to justify the money. I would say I prefer shoe shopping, but I'm cursed with ginormous feet as well, so I find plenty I like and little that fits :idiot:

nutmeg
24th November 2004, 05:22 AM
Are we all measuring the same part of our legs?

Some of my trousers are described as a 27" inside leg, others as suitable for 5'2" and other. Both these are just right for me in flattish shoes. I also have Australian short fitting. These are slightlly longer than I prefer, and are supposed to be for 5'4" and under (rather strange, since (a) we are supposed to be a metric country and (b) from my statistical work I know that almost half the women in Australia are 5'4" and under)

Blair
24th November 2004, 12:43 PM
He He.... Another member of the tall and lanky party right here... 35" inseam... Of course, it's a real pain to shop for a suit when your top half is a size smaller than your bottom half... I need talls in jeans usually... But shop in petites for shirts all the time...

Liv
24th November 2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ivanleg@Nov 22 2004, 02:23 PM
This has been a political broadcast on behalf of the Tall and Lanky Party (otherwise known as Charlotte, Liv, Carly, Abbi and Ivy).
Sure, Blair, you can join! When is our first meeting? :hammer: :-D

jamiebug44
24th November 2004, 06:27 PM
i am actully short you guy i am 5'1 in a half

lindzi_11
24th November 2004, 06:29 PM
I used to be that short... but not anymore :spin:

Thaleias spirit
24th November 2004, 06:34 PM
Im only 4'3... (seem to have shrunk without realising it...)

but my waist is an adult (uk) size 10/12... so trying to get anything to fit is a nightmare....

but lately ive taken to buying the department stores own brand school trousers... they have elasticated waists and the length can be cut to fit!!!

woo hoo... hope at last!!!!

Ryansmum
24th November 2004, 06:57 PM
I'm another tall and lanky...with a few lumps in between :rofl: I have the same problem with tops and bottoms Blair I'm a size 10 bottom but 14 up top so have no chance with suits..and why is it if you have long arms you have to buy an item 4 sizes too big to get the sleeve length???? :nut:

Little~shedevil~dee
24th November 2004, 07:02 PM
i have a small waist but i have big legs
so its hard to get tight jeans to fit sometimes

jfkimberly
25th November 2004, 05:34 AM
Gah. With my frame, I would never wear tight jeans. I'd look so funny/thin in them. Like I'm standing on narrow stilts, or something. I use the pant legs to make me look softer.

gabrielle
27th November 2004, 07:12 AM
I used to be 5'10" in high school (more than 24 yrs ago now!). Now I'm down to 5'7"- something I've been pretty bummed about. I talked to my dr about it, he said the surgery could bring me back up pretty close to where I was. I hope so! The dr who diagnosed my scoliosis almost 20 years ago told me I probably would have hit 6', or possibly 6'1" if I didn't have it. I don't even want to talk about clothes! I have no waist to speak of because my curve has my hips way off kilter. Women's pants are impossible for me to wear, so I'm really looking forward to a new wardrobe after January!

Liv
27th November 2004, 10:34 AM
My height (178 cm or 5'10") is the only thing of my body that gives me a little bit of confidence. When I need to express some authority (annoying patients for example) I just stretch myself and try to look self confident! I works most of the time. :-D