PDA

View Full Version : What Do People Recommend To Wear Under Their Brace???

France & Amelia
8th June 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi

My daughter is due to pick up her first brace this Friday and just wondered if anyone can recommend any special type of t-shirt/vest to wear underneath? I have looked on various websites and there appears to be a recommendation for seamless vests??? If so, has anyone any particular brand or style which they recommend I should buy her or is any type of T-shirt/vest suitable???

You're help would be greatly appreciated as this is all new to us.

Kind regards

Frances

Rodsrme
8th June 2009, 07:20 PM
Hey!
I wore a TLSO brace for 18 months. I wore just a regular tank top underneath. You want to find clothes with really small, flat seams. The bigger the seam the worse it will dig into your skin. On the bottom I wore yoga pants cause they had small seams or fabric shorts. You even want to make sure your underwear have small seams if it goes on/over your hips.
If it is hot wear you live it would be a good idea to put baby powder on the skin, (helps with smell and keeps you dry). Then, I would change your shirt fairly often to keep it dry so you don't get a rash. Oh, and make sure you ask your surgeon for a muscle relaxer to take for the first week or too while you are breaking it in!!! That will help a bunch!!!!!! :D Best of luck! - Rods :D

MOB
8th June 2009, 07:45 PM
I wore a Boston Brace years ago i was told to use a seamless vest and also to rub surgical spirits on my skin.

BeckyH
8th June 2009, 10:04 PM
when i had mine i just used to wear knickers and seamless vests - all trousers/skirts went over the top for me. if you can't find any seamless vests, get some non-ribbed cotton ones and turn them inside out. one of our members, realised that this works just as well!

France & Amelia
8th June 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for your advice. And yes it gets Sooooooooo hot here in the summer, too to do anything some days. My daughters even requested to sleep in the cellar last year as it was the only cold place in the house. This is a huge concern of mine - the heat factor. Especially as now because they made the brace out of the wrong design plastic (and made it out of a hideous pattern and colour) their solution was to cover it in leather! Nice pink leather but leather all the same! So I think it will make it even hotter than hot which I think would be unbearable for my daughter. Some days last year it was too hot for normal cotton clothes, let alone having to wear the brace too plus an extra layer underneath. Im feeling really sorry for her already and we havn't even got the brace yet.

BLONDIE
9th June 2009, 02:20 PM
Hello again Frances! Yes, I would say that the heat problem is probably one of the worst things with a brace. I was so grateful that we had a poor summer here last year, even so some days you can practically wring the vests out. Try and get pure cotton vests. M&S do a good range, perhaps a friend or relative could send you some if you don't have one over there or could you get them online? There's not really an answer for not getting hot, I suppose an electric fan going full blast is the best solution for night time. Oh dear, it's all happening at once for you isn't it? Did they say how long they think Amelia will have to wear the brace for? She may not ever like it but she will get used to it.

France & Amelia
9th June 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Debbie

They said 2-3 years or until she stops growing. How do they know when you have stopped growing, do they just check your height regularly or something? ive never really thought about that much before.

Ive seen some little portable air conditioning units about in the shops here, think I will invest in some. We only moved her last May and I was shocked by the heat. Normal cotton t-shirts were even too hot on some days. We got quite a lot of snow last winter though so i guess we just have extremes.

Yes i discovered M & S online the other day, I was v happy indeed. You cant beat good old M & S! I think there is one M & S in Cologne but thats a couple of hours drive away. I went there when I lived in Germany first time around about 10 years ago for some pants and some tasty english food. Ooh it was a treat!!! Ha ha, its funny the things you miss. Must check out their website - I think a spot of retail therapy is in order for us all!

BeckyH
9th June 2009, 05:07 PM
completion of growth is judged using x-rays. the body has several growth plates, i know one is in the pelvis and the last one to close is in the elbow. once the growth plates are closed, growing is finished. a lot of doctors subscribe to the theory that girls stop growing two years after their first period but i (and a few doctors i know) think that's rubbish myself! it's good as a rough guideline but most girls i know (friends and relatives) have stopped either way before that or a short while after.

crkcallie
10th June 2009, 01:08 AM
When I was wearing a back brace, I wore big baggy boy's T-shirts over my brace. They hid it very well.

RosieRich
12th June 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi
My daughter had knit rite vests from gilbert and mellish which were brillant. Here is a link http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/products/spinal-cervical/torso-interface.php
They made a huge difference to her compliance with the brace. I used to just phone them up and order over the phone. You can fill a form in so that you don't pay the VAT. The only problem is they are very expensive but they wash and dry well.
Hope that helps.
Sam

Eve's Mum
17th June 2009, 11:18 AM
Wearing a seamless vest, like the one recommended above from Gilbert and Mellish do make an enormous difference to compliance - they are expensive but totally worth it. They also 'wick' any moisture away from the body when it's hot. Eve wears them and she likes them very much (we've died hers into groovy colours!)

I told the school to get a fan, which they did, and that's worked well when it's warm but we live in the far north of England so hot weather not usually a problem!

France & Amelia
19th June 2009, 04:50 PM
Yep really keen to get some of those vests, Im just not quite sure how, as yet. I emailed Gilbert & Mellish and they said they were UK distributors only. Does this mean they only distribute within the UK or only supply to other companies who sell them within UK- confused.com! They gave me knitrite.com email address but I looked on their website and it says only available to clinical practioners! Oooh a wild goose chase is in pursuit!

Silly question ............... Has anyone ever been provided with them on the NHS? I have tried phoning the paediatric nurse at our English med centre here in Germany to enquire but because its friday afternoon nobody is there. I have a feeling they may suggest I ask the German Brace Place whether they can order them. Now what are the German word for seamless moisture-wicking anti-microbal under spinal orthosis vests (with extra under arm bits) for meine 13 jahre alt tochter??? Will continue my quest on Monday.
:D

France & Amelia
19th June 2009, 04:52 PM
PS.................... sometimes I miss England!!!

titch
20th June 2009, 12:43 PM
Could you get G&M to deliver them to someone in the UK, and have them posted on? Also, there is a forum you might like to check out, which is a German scoliosis one, but some of them speak good English and they have a board for discussion in English, so they might be able to give you some help such as a translation for the vest :) http://www.skoliose-info-forum.de/viewforum.php?f=19 I know a couple of people who speak pretty fluent German, but neither of them knows many medical terms unfortunately!

France & Amelia
22nd June 2009, 03:22 PM
Yep at last .................. G & M have finally said they can post to a UK delivery address! Took about 4 emails and that was in English - there was me thinking it was difficult enough communicating over here in Germany. Life should not be this difficult! I will have them sent to my mum then she can post them on.

Anyway, thank you Titch for the German forum, I have looked on there for ages and got some v useful info. Been on a 'Rahmouni' site (meant to be a renowned brace maker apparently, which has convinced me even more that my daughters brace was made by an idiot. Im just trying to work out how to register so that I can post. I've got pretty much to the end of the registration on process on three occaisions (which is in German) and then got lost at the end. I will keep trying and get out my dictionary too.

Merci Beaucoup - oops wrong language!!!

joanna_smith10
27th December 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi,

Have just come across this thread even though it's quite old as this was one of my questions a year ago when Cameron first got his brace.

A friend of mine recommended finding a silk seamless vest - silk as light and able to wick away the moisture and seamless to avoid rubbing. The only one I have been able to find ANYWHERE are from a company called Bella di Notte www.belladinotte.com which is primarily an underwear company for ladies of a certain age. The ladies size 8 - 10 is fine for my well-built 7 year old boy and the vest comes in a discreet ivory colour. Cameron would be mortified if he knew where his vests come from but all he knows is that they makes him as comfortable as possible.

Last time we saw Mr Harrison he commented on how ideal it was.

Hope this can hep someone else - but be warned - he changes twice a day, they last about 3 months and don't come cheap!

Joanna

crkcallie
2nd January 2010, 04:25 AM
A white and light weight t-shirt is good to wear under your brace. Back when I was in a bracing program, I wore a T-Shirt underneath and I wore a big shirt over it to cover the brace.

ScoliFamily
7th January 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to a TLSO, in which case my daughter prefers to wear a one-piece bodysuit that I make for her - she is 8. She wears the bodysuit (with long leggings), her brace, and a stretch knit dress and you can barely see the brace - she's very comfortable. But, T-I hear T-shirts and seamless tops work great. If you're looking into a Spinecor, it gets tricky, but my daughter wore the same bodysuit.