PDA

View Full Version : rib out of place!

carolad
3rd June 2009, 01:20 PM
My fabulous physio was working on my thoracic spine yesterday - like most other bits of my body, everything was kind of 'stuck together' and not moving as it should. So she did a lot of hauling me about to get some movement back in my spine and ribs - I feel a bit bruised and battered today, although I definitely feel 'looser' :)

But the really interesting thing is she found I had a rib out of place. This was on the upper right side of my back. I have always had a low grade muscular ache around my right shoulder - I always thought it was a problem with the shoulder, but it turns out that it was the rib causing this pain. She manipulated it so it 'popped' back into place, and since then I have had no shoulder pain :D Thats something else that no-one else has ever picked up on, yet she found it straight away when she examined me - makes you wonder what training all the other physios get....

Anyone else ever had this rib problem? Or rather, has anyone ever told you about it - I daresay there are some of you out there with shoulder pain that is in fact undiagnosed rib displacement!

bluestone
3rd June 2009, 01:35 PM
Gosh, im shocked! :eek2:
Im sure you will feel so much better!
I wonder why NHS physios dont actually feel around the body.All they seem to do is a little prodding.I have a protruding rib that I get a lot of pain in but put that down to my ribs been pushed out by my curve.
Anyway, you are certainly seeing the right person.
Take care x

Little Ali
3rd June 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi there,

My physio does something with 'rib 1' where he manipulates it to losen it up. That helps alot with shoulder pain. He tried explaining it to me the other day but it mostly went over my head.

Hooray for great physios! Shame mine's leaving at the end of the year! :cry2:

carolad
4th June 2009, 10:16 AM
Bluestone - I agree about the NHS physios. The ones I saw just focussed on the most painful area - which in my case is the lower back and pelvis. This physio I'm seeing has a holistic approach and is treating my whole body. In fact she has spent very little time working on my lower back and pelvis, but lots of time on my head, neck and upper back.

It does make sense to take this holistic approach when you think about it, because scoliosis is a whole body condition - its not just the spine that is out of alignment, its the shoulders, head, neck, ribs, legs - everything really! So treating one part in isolation really isn't going to help.

I can't believe how much more movement I have in my shoulder now :) Its amazing how you just get used to something and think of it as 'normal' - its only now my shoulder feels to good that I realise how tight and restricted it was previously.

Ali - thats interesting, sounds like you have something similar going on. Aw, what a shame your physio is leaving - can he/she recommend anyone else to continue with?

bluestone
4th June 2009, 12:50 PM
I have an appt with the NHS physio im seeing in a couple of weeks and I will tell her that excercises put me in pain and I will ask her why she cant actually work on areas of my body like a private physio would-put her on the spot! ;)

carolad
4th June 2009, 01:44 PM
I have an appt with the NHS physio im seeing in a couple of weeks and I will tell her that excercises put me in pain and I will ask her why she cant actually work on areas of my body like a private physio would-put her on the spot! ;)

Go for it girl! I'll be interested to hear what she says...;)

cherrybird
4th June 2009, 10:17 PM
I have seen quite a few physio's but none of them have ever actually manipulated any parts of my body except for when I was just getting over surgery.

carolad
5th June 2009, 10:23 AM
I know what you mean Cherrybird, that was my previous experience too - this one I'm seeing has a completely different approach to anyone else I've seen.

She doesn't even refer to her notes to see what she did with me the previous session. Every session she starts off checking out my whole body by getting me to do certain movements, and will focus on whatever area seems most 'stuck' or tight at that time. She says she has no agenda or set path of where she is going - she just 'listens' to the body and is guided by what she sees and feels. She uses a mixture of manipulation, acupuncture and myofascial release.

I'm not sure why she has such a different approach to the standard physio approach - I don't know if its because of specific training she has had or whether it is because she is just very intuitive and in tune with what is going on in the body. She certainly is guided very much by 'feel' - she sometimes closes her eyes when she is testing me, like she is really focussing in on what she is feeling in my body.

I just can't believe my luck in coming across her - I really think she is one in a million :D After being resigned to being in pain for the rest of my life, I now feel there is some hope of improvement. She is worth her weight in gold :D:D

GillyG
5th June 2009, 07:56 PM
You deserve this lucky break so enjoy it :D:squeeze:

I don't mean to come over all 'new-age hippy', but it does sound as though she's so in tune and intuitive that she could be considered a 'healer' in some walks of life.

GloomCookie
6th June 2009, 07:39 PM
I have to confess that the thought of having a rib popped back in to place makes me want to heave, but I think I'm just extra sensitive about my ribs because "Rib Torn" (as I have christened my stump where they cut a couple out) is still a bit averse to being prodded.

Anyway, this is off topic but I can't find the thread where you were talking about the Alexander Technique and I have a few questions for you if you don't mind? I'm really interested in trying it after seeing you and a couple of other people talk about it, and it's just been mentioned in my Health & Fitness magazine so I think I'll take the hint and give it a shot!

I just wondered... How often do you go/did you go when you started? And how long/how many sessions was it before you noticed a difference, or did it sort of sneak up on you that you were standing better etc after a while?

nutmeg
7th June 2009, 12:09 PM
Here's the link for the UK Alexander Technique website. There is a lot of useful information there, including links to lots of "taster" workshops, as well as to teachers for individual lessons.
http://www.stat.org.uk/

I started with weekly group lessons organised by my local authority, and amazingly I felt some difference in my breathing after just one lesson. There was also a visible reduction in my rotation after a few weeks.

There was then a gap of several years before I had individual lessons, again on a weekly basis. I think it took several weeks before I noticed any more improvement. Then it happened suddenly - I got up from the table (where I was lying while my teacher worked on me) and my trousers slipped down (not too far luckily!), because my hips were suddenly level.

I had a break from lessons, but continued to do some Alexander Technique on my own. then went back for some more lessons. This time the improvement was in my shoulder which used to rotate forward very noticeably. I've managed to improve this even further by working on my own

carolad
8th June 2009, 12:41 PM
Gilly - I think you are right. She is an amazing person - I can't believe how lucky I am to have come across her.

GloomCookie - it really wasn't as bad as it sounds, honestly! And as soon as it clicked into place, it just felt 'right' to me :)

As for the Alexander Technique - thats great you are thinking of trying it, I really can't recommend it enough! I started doing one-to-one sessions about 18 months ago, and I went once a week for about 6 months, and then once a fortnight for about 8 months - now I go every 4-6 weeks.

Progress varies between individuals, and it is very much a case of having quite dramatic changes in your body at times, followed by weeks when nothing very much seems to happen. So it is important not to get frustrated when you don't seem to be 'getting it' because as long as you keep working at it, you will find things just click into place one day!

I don't think I noticed a difference straight away, it probably took about 4 or 5 sessions before I started to notice any changes. But what I did get from the first session was an indication of just how bad my posture was - when my teacher put me into the 'correct' position, it just felt completely wrong to me! Now, however, this correct posture comes naturally to me (well, its not perfect, but its a HUGE improvement on what it was like before!).

In fact, now I find it really hard to stand and sit like I used to - I used to stand with my hips pushed forward, knees locked, ribcage pulled upwards and head pushed forward. These are very common postural habits - when I look around, I reckon 50% of women do the same thing! And I say 'women' because I think we are particularly guilty of trying to minimise our curvy bits by 'pulling in' our stomachs and 'tucking' our bums underneath us - which causes us to develop the faulty posture above. So I've learned how to let it all hang out...bum out, belly out, just letting go of all that tension :D And although it did make me feel a bit like a pregnant duck at the start, now it just feels relaxed and natural!!

The fact that I've 'grown' more than an inch shows how much I was compressing my spine, so I'm not surprised it has helped my pain levels. And I now have a proper curve in my lumbar spine, whereas the first NHS physio I saw told me that I had a 'flat back' which was just part of my shape, and I couldn't do anything about!

Feel free to ask any more questions, or send me a pm for further information - I'm only too delighted to pass my experiences on since I know how much it has helped me. xx

GloomCookie
11th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you so much guys, you've answered all my questions perfectly! It's a bit pricey so it'll have to be next month before I try it but I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. There are a couple of teachers in my area on that site so it shouldn't be hard to find someone to work with. Thanks again :) xX

carolad
12th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much guys, you've answered all my questions perfectly! It's a bit pricey so it'll have to be next month before I try it but I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. There are a couple of teachers in my area on that site so it shouldn't be hard to find someone to work with. Thanks again :) xX

I really hope you find it as helpful as I did :) Just be aware though that it isn't a quick fix - it does take time so don't be expecting miraculous changes in a short period. But despite that, and the cost, I think it really is worth doing. The other important thing is that you need to be able to get on with your teacher - so if you don't feel you 'gel' with someone, I would say its better to move to someone else rather than keep going. Let us know how you get on xx