PDA

View Full Version : Beck?

Donnam
11th May 2009, 02:03 AM
Has anyone heard of this? http://www.beckscoliosis.com
It is in St. Louis. I live in Atlanta.. But St.Louis is not too far from My Mother in Law. So it is an option. Any thoughts or suggestions?

tonibunny
11th May 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Donnam, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

Oh my goodness, that is one of the most audacious sites touting non surgical treatment that I have ever seen! >:|

I note that they use the CLEAR method. There is no scientific proof that this method works. As this forum is largely made up of people in the UK and Europe we don't tend to see many people who have tried CLEAR, but there are tons of people on the NSF (National Scoliosis Foundation of America) forums who have spent a fortune on this treatment and have still had their scoliosis progress. You might like to take a look over on that forum (http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/index.php) and see what they say.

This particular website is extremely unethical, because it makes claims such as the following, which simply aren't true:

"Medical protocol at 40 degrees is dangerous spinal surgery. Oh, I think I will take being laid up for several weeks, have metal rods that corrode in my body, have a 40% chance of being severely disabled in 16 years and oh yes a second surgery may be necessary to remove the metal parts because they have failed to do what they were put in for, and my chance at some organ failure, poor lung function, and no life."

Metal rods DO NOT corrode in the body. They are made of titanium, it doesn't corrode! I don't know where they got the statistic that 40% of people are severely disabled in 16 years either >:|

It's shocking that a so-called medical website can even write in such a manner. It is so poorly written and not at all what you should expect of a professional medical establishment. You can see that they are clearly trying to put people off surgery and other treatments in order to get them to pay for the CLEAR method!

This statement is also untrue:

"Research shows that doing nothing is better than spinal fusion surgery, but research also shows scoliosis cuts 14 years off of your life with lung complications, heart complications, etc."

We have members here who have "done nothing" rather than have spinal fusion surgery for their scoliosis - or rather, they were unlucky in that the surgery was never offered to them. One of them now has a 150 degree curve and has to use oxygen because her spine is crushing her lungs. Surgeons operate on people with scoliosis for a reason - because it will prevent situations like this from ever happening. The statistic about scoliosis cutting 14 years off your life just seems like more scaremongering to me.

I suspect that this quote has been taken out of context, and that "doing nothing" is better than surgery for people who have other back problems rather than scoliosis, such as disc problems. If someone has a bulging or herniated disc, removing that disc and fusing the spine at that level may be an option but in many cases the pain and problems can settle down after a while without surgical intervention.

If you read the NSF forums, you'll see that the following statement seems very unlikely given the number of people for whom this treatment did not work:

"In a recent study patients treated with Clear Institute protocols all patients got better, no patients got worse and the average scoliosis reduction was 62% in 4-6 weeks."

I would have thought that if there IS a non-surgical treatment that can permanently improve scoliosis to such an extent as this, it would be being researched and adopted by all the top scoliosis consultants throughout the world!

I've just had a look at the blog on that website, and there is so much misleading information I don't have time to write about it all here. GRRRR.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. There are lots of other ways you can help pain and posture non-surgically, and which don't cost a fortune! Tell us more about yourself and we'll try to help you :)

Toni xx

mark
11th May 2009, 12:41 PM
I couldn't agree more with you toni

cherrybird
11th May 2009, 01:54 PM
I have never seen that website before, but I can't believe they claim to be a medical organisation. They are clearly trying to scaremonger people and take their money. Its disgusting exploitation.
I completely agree with Toni.
Claire

madmclw
12th May 2009, 05:32 PM
End your debilitating scoliosis pain and decrease lung function in a few short weeks with non-surgical, safe scoliosis treatment protocols.

...something not quite right there...and that's on the front page!

madmclw
12th May 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I've read about halfway down the page and the number of grammatical/spelling/typing errors is shocking me.

Whey going to your family MD my only result in making your scoliosis worse. :doh:

GloomCookie
12th May 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I've read about halfway down the page and the number of grammatical/spelling/typing errors are shocking me.

Haha, I noticed that as well Maddy! The whole site left me speechless, what a horrible, amateurish, scaremongering pile of absolute drivel.

In my humble opinion :D

GillyG
12th May 2009, 09:02 PM
:ythat:

Mustang Sal
12th May 2009, 09:16 PM
...something not quite right there...and that's on the front page!

Well done for spotting that! The appalling spelling and grammar wound me up straight away so I didn't really read much further.

I wonder if this site is just the tip of a very large iceberg? I hope not but I suspect it might be...