PDA

View Full Version : NZ Hi guys - what should I do? Playing medical ping pong

Jonno
24th April 2009, 11:36 AM
Hi there,
I came on this site around October last year and there were some amazing people that gave me some wise advice.

I thought I'd share my problem and see what people on here recommend again.

I have Kyphosis. It's been measured at 90 degrees and I am in pain. I live in Wellington, New Zealand.

I am going through the public health system and managed to get referred from my GP in October and managed to see the orthapedic section in Dec. They did an MRI and then I was called up for a consultation not with my original doctor in Dec but with another Orthapedic surgeon in March. He warned me of the dangers and said that I shouldn't have it done even though I was a candidate for surgery through the public health system. Anyway, I talked with him about how it hurts and it is affecting my life and he said after consideration that I would go on the waiting list.

All seems awesome.... but

Today I got a letter today from the surgery department via the original doctor I saw in December.... and it says that my level of need isn't great and that I have been placed in an active review category and I they will review my case in 6 months time to go on back on the surgery waiting list.

As you can tell I'm crestfallen by this, and also a little scared considering a private spine doctor (whose advice I sort) says I definitely need it doing - and have also been told beyond the age of 28 the complications in the surgery go up...

Any help or tips?

J

mark
24th April 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi J

First of all you need to get back on the phone and why you have been taken of the lists. Sometimes in an admin type person or booking person. Then you need to talk to your surgeons secetary who will have your notes and may shed more light on the reasons. Who signed was an hospital administraor or was it the surgeon himself

Make the call and post what reaction you get, we maybe able to advice you better once youve spoke to someone. Ive had a number of similar experiences where i have been taken of the lsts by hospital administrators and i have then spoke to my surgeons secetary who sorted it out and put me back on the list

Good luck

Mark

GillyG
24th April 2009, 10:39 PM
How very worrying :( I think Mark has given you some good suggestions. The first step is to find out exactly who has decided to take you off the list and why - then take it from there. Make sure you let them know how much all of this is affecting your quality of life. Good luck :)

mark
25th April 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Jonno, how did you get on with the hospital?

Jonno
27th April 2009, 07:35 AM
Hi there Mark-I'll definitely let you know - I'm crazy busy with work at the mo (was working till 1am on a Monday...) so once this work blip is over (hopefully mid week) I'll start to get around to making some phonecalls and praying that something can be done and that it was just an admin thing. I'll let yah know how it goes. Many thanks!

mark
1st May 2009, 12:58 AM
I hope you get some joy with your phone call. If you dont give them hell. Keep badgering them ask em loads of questions as to how why and what i really hope its just an admin cock up

mark

Jonno
7th May 2009, 12:14 AM
Hi - I phoned up surgery admissions and he told me that the letter sounds ambiguous and although I'm not going to have surgery in the next 6 months and I will have a review in 6 months time I am still on the surgery waiting list. I hope they're being accurate in what they're saying. Between you and me would love to have it tomorrow...

mark
7th May 2009, 12:17 AM
I know what mean jonno the waiting is the killer but at least your still on the waiting lists you have to take some comfort from that, six months seems like a long wait i know that but at least you still got yourself on the surgeons list

I know its not much conselation but keep your spirits up mate where here to support you all the way

mark

Jonno
8th June 2009, 12:25 AM
Hey - thanks heaps for this Mark. I had a really helpful surgeon in Auckland that I initially spoke to so I am emailing him and asking him as well what the deal is (as you would know the ins and outs of the public health system better than me.)

I don't like to be aggressive on my own behalf - but the thing is I'm in Wellington pretty much exclsuively so I can wait for this operation - my profession is really suffering being here cos there's no work for what I do.

Thanks heaps for the motivation. I'll keep you updated on progress.

:)

J

Amazed Jean
8th June 2009, 12:56 AM
Hey, Welcome to the wonderful world of medicine and their penchant for screwing up stuff when paperwork is involved. I am a firm believer in being your own best advocate. You are obviously the best one to make the decisions but you also have to be ready to stand up for yourself - even if you have to make a few clerical people angry along the way. I would try to get everything sorted on the phone and you can be nice about it if that works. But if you feel they are waffling on you - Raise Hell! Good Luck and stay in touch. Mark knows what you're talking about. His personal story has been quite the learning expereince for him.

Jonno
27th July 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi there. This gets even crazier - but in a good way. Just received a letter in the weekend saying that my pre op assessment is in 5 days' time and my operation is scheduled for in 2 1/2 weeks away. I'm a little scared all of a sudden but I've really wanted this since I was 18!! Hope it's not a screw up.

GillyG
27th July 2009, 09:56 PM
You'll be fine Jonno - just try not to panic! You'll have good luck vibes coming your way from all over the world. Now isn't that something?

:gvibes::-):gvibes:

mark
27th July 2009, 10:00 PM
Good luck dude, hopefully i won't be too far behind you, i'll open a thread in the general forum for you if you want to give me the date for your op

Wee Hee mate, your on the journey dude, just ride it out and you'll come throught he other side

mark

Rodsrme
27th July 2009, 10:04 PM
Good luck Jonno!!! Will be thinking of you! :gvibes: :squeeze: Let us know how you get on! :ghug:

macky
28th July 2009, 12:31 PM
Good luck Jonno from over here in Tassie, thinking of you. Bet that was a bit of a surprise eh!

Jonno
29th July 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys for all your support and thanks Mark for offering to set up a page that'd be awesome.

My op's on 13th August. I have the pre-assessment thingey in a few days' time.

All very exciting although a little bit scared at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's kind wishes (hah including the one from Tassie). It rocks.

titch
29th July 2009, 08:42 PM
Well, the 13th is hopefully an auspicious date, as my brother is getting married that day! Anyway, it's great that you're finally getting it done and I'll be looking forward to hearing the good news of a great result :D

Rodsrme
29th July 2009, 08:44 PM
Great news! :fingersx:

You can put your surgery date on the Calendar if you would like! :D

mark
29th July 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys for all your support and thanks Mark for offering to set up a page that'd be awesome.

My op's on 13th August. I have the pre-assessment thingey in a few days' time.

All very exciting although a little bit scared at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's kind wishes (hah including the one from Tassie). It rocks.

No problems mate you should have some nice comments to read when you come out the other end

Lucy7
29th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Jonno that's so great. You managed to push through all the admin brick walls and you are about to embark on your journey to wellness! Amazing. I can't wait to hear how you get on.:niceone:

Lucy7
29th July 2009, 10:03 PM
PS - it wont be long for you too Mark!

mark
30th July 2009, 12:21 AM
Let us know which hospital your being done in

macky
30th July 2009, 09:57 AM
Well Jono the 13th will be all full of scoli angels and wishes for you from all over the world. Of course you are going to be a bit scared oh but just think of the excellent way things will be when it is all over. Those doctors over there had better look after you, as I am known to be a good swimmer!!

Lorraine (Macky)

Jonno
30th July 2009, 11:12 PM
Hey! Thanks so much everyone for your support and awesomeness.

I wrote back a few days ago but for some reason hasn't been added to the feed.

I've love a page Mark, my op is on the 14th August.

:D

All very exciting but also freaky too!

Am laying off the alcohol and (urg0 going to the gym in preparation.

Jonno
30th July 2009, 11:15 PM
I mean the 13th. I keep on thinking it's the 14th. Eek. Two weeks away. Thanks for all the support it means so much. Don't know about how you guys feel but the internet is such a good tool for learning about Kyphosis and what you can do (and get the support you need).

mark it's at the Wellington Hospital in Newtown. I think it has some funky medical acronym for its official name like CCHB WRH or something like that.

mark
30th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Cheers mate for the details i will also add them to the forth coming surgery thread also

mark

Hang in there dude your gonna get fixed and i for will will jumping through hoops the moment your out of surgery and your on the road to recovery, i'll raise a glass or two in your honour

take it easy mate

mark

-Chris-
30th July 2009, 11:25 PM
Hey, I just joined the forum today, but wanted to say whatsup and hope that things work out for you.

I have kyphosis as well and am currently considering the surgical route, so it'd be great to hear about your experience and how everything goes.

Jonno
30th July 2009, 11:52 PM
Cool. When's your surgery date Mark? Thanks heaps! We should trade notes on the recovery process. :D

mark
30th July 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm still waiting for my date Jonno, it should hopefully, fingers crossed crossed be beginning of September but my surgeons busy over the summer dealing with kids who are of on there summer break. Mate i'm going to e looking to you for tips on this one

Jonno
30th July 2009, 11:57 PM
Hey - thanks Chris. Yeah will definitely keep you in the loop as to how it goes! Yeah, I've wanted this surgery since 1998 so really stoked it's finally coming around. I have a mate who had his back broken in a road accident (he survived, his mate didn't) when I lived in Nairobi (different surgery but still spinal stuff) and he's been emailing a bit about what to expect with recovery times etc...

Jonno
31st July 2009, 12:04 AM
Oh - great stuff Mark!! yeah we'll be pretty much sync-ed with the op (just two or three weeks apart) then - yeah let's definitely be in touch with each other on tips and stuff! It looks like you have a very similar sort of a curve to me as well. I measure 92 degrees at the mo.

mark
31st July 2009, 12:07 AM
Yes Jonno theres nowt in our degree of curves, drop me a pm with your e mail address and send you lots of encouragement and support through cyber space, by the way if you do drop me your e mail address i can keep up dating your thread on your progress through recovery

Jonno
31st July 2009, 12:28 AM
Sure thing! It's jonathan.horner@gmail.com and you can find me on facebook - mine profile pic is a pic of a whale and a horse with a horn in the middle.