PDA

View Full Version : amazing physio!

carolad
8th April 2009, 04:22 PM
I had my first appointment with my new physio yesterday, and I was VERY impressed. I had really only wanted her to do acupuncture on me since its about the only thing which has really helped my back pain to date.

But she did a thorough assessment and lots of tests and was able to tell me more about my imbalances than anyone else has. So apparently as well as the scoliosis, twisted pelvis and head out of alignment, I have tight muscles around my left shoulder and across my chest. She also told me that there is very little movement in my spinal segments - the joints are pretty much immobile which means that my lumbar discs are taking all the strain. She did a test that showed I had a problem with L5/S1 (which is what the MRI scan showed too - although I hadn't told her this). She told me that my right piriformis muscle was tight. And most bizarre of all, she was able to tell me that there is a bone in my skull which is slightly out of alignment, and is 'stuck' in place, whereas there should be a slight movement possible between the bones - amazingly, when she pressed this bone to release it, this freed up my pelvic bones too! I haven't really looked into this, but I presume that is the basis of crano-sacral therapy - it certainly showed that the skull and pelvis are connected in a very definite way.

I'm just amazed at how much she was able to tell me - I've learned more about what is actually going on in my body than the previous 4 physios, 2 doctors and chiropractor all put together!

So she is going to treat each of these problem areas one at a time, and see if she can restore some of the normal function. I'm not sure how far she will be able to go with this, but if all else fails, I can always get her to do the acupuncture, which I know works for me. So I can't lose really and I'm feeling very upbeat about it all :D

The session yesterday was mostly assessment, but she did do some work on freeing up the piriformis muscle. Since she did this, I've had some pain going down my leg, which I've never had before, but I'm sure that will settle down again. I've got another session with her in a couple of week's time - I'll let you know how I get on.

Hurrah for good physios! :)

zoolane
8th April 2009, 06:38 PM
Very happy for you , that found someone help you. Wow can I lend of her Please, had two appointment since between of march, was assement last appointment was on 2nd april next is 27th of april.

GillyG
8th April 2009, 06:44 PM
Fantastic news Carolad, I'm so chuffed for you (and a little jealous :p) The skull bone/pelvis thing is fascinating!

Let's hope this is the start of a whole new beginning for you.

:squeeze:

cherrybird
8th April 2009, 07:26 PM
Thats absolutely fantastic I'm really pleased for you and hope it helps restore some normality back tou your life

Little Ali
8th April 2009, 08:15 PM
That's fantastic!! I'm really pleased for you!
Good physios/therapists are invaluable

Mustang Sal
8th April 2009, 08:44 PM
Hurrah!! I'm so pleased for you! You sound really positive about it, which is great :clap:

I agree, the head-pelvis thing is fascinating - so many things in our bodies are connected without us even realising it. I had reflexology once and when the therapist pressed on a certain point on my heel, all the muscles in my lower back just melted (and I never even realised they were so tense!) which was bliss!! Amazing how it can work like that.

carolad
9th April 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all your replies :D

I'm still absolutely amazed at how thorough she was - she was able to see each individual aspect of my condition instead of just looking at the general problem of 'scoliosis and twisted pelvis', as the others have done. In fact she didn't dwell on the scoliosis part at all - her approach seems to be to deal with all the individual imbalances that the scoliosis causes, and concentrate on treating these as separate issues (while realising of course that they are all connected).

Even better, she explained exactly what she was doing and why she was doing it, and gave me very good explanations of the various problems she found.

I just wish I could clone her and send copies to all of you around the country :)

Cheski
9th April 2009, 10:46 AM
Ooo where can we find her??? :)
Its so hard to find people that you have total faith in... I have a Doctor in Rome but unfortunatley no longer live there so only get to see him when im over there (which has been over a year now :()... but if anyone is going for holiday let me know, he is soo worth a visit or two (three is best but you prob need a week...)