PDA

View Full Version : Scheuermanns Questions

Juliar
6th April 2009, 12:50 AM
My now 14 year old has just seen Mr Dashti and been given a diagnosis (finally) of Scheuermanns with a 60 degree curve & mild scoliosis. I had requested an appointment with Mr Dashti or one of the other consultants at Hope or Pendlebury because of others post on here. Thank you - he was fantastic and clearly knows his stuff.

I had so many questions that I forgot to ask though, I'm hoping some of you can answer.

My sons hips are 'tight' is that part of the disease? If so, what helps relieve the tightness?

His neck has spasms down one side - again, any hints on how to help that?

His knees 'pop out' and he finds it quite painful to even walk for a few weeks at a time. Is that just part and parcel of the scheuermanns? or is it not even related?

Am I right in thinking that the worst of the disease is during growth? that once the growth has stopped that the disease has run it's course and it's just a matter of dealing with the on going pain?

Our treatment plan isn't to have a brace at the moment. My son says he wont wear it and Mr Dashti said there is a fine balance on the benefits=loss of self esteem. My son is 5' 10" so most of his growth has been done already (dad is 6'1") So really it's just yoga, swimming and physiotherapy.

Any hints, ideas, links to read up on would really help. Thanks.

mark
25th April 2009, 10:13 PM
My sons hips are 'tight' is that part of the disease? If so, what helps relieve the tightness?

Yes this a common feature as it tight calfs

His knees 'pop out' and he finds it quite painful to even walk for a few weeks at a time. Is that just part and parcel of the scheuermanns? or is it not even related?

Sorry i havent heard of this as part of the condition

Am I right in thinking that the worst of the disease is during growth? that once the growth has stopped that the disease has run it's course and it's just a matter of dealing with the on going pain?

This is the unknown, they say its supposed to correct itself but a lot like me a nd a few others have large curves that didnt sort itself out

The worst time is during the growth spurt but curves can and do progress well into adulthood

Each person is different with this condition the effect on the individual can widely vary

Our treatment plan isn't to have a brace at the moment. My son says he wont wear it and Mr Dashti said there is a fine balance on the benefits=loss of self esteem. My son is 5' 10" so most of his growth has been done already (dad is 6'1") So really it's just yoga, swimming and physiotherapy

Theres lots of research on braces and some say it doesnt make one jot of difference others swear by them. If your child says he isnt going to wear it then its probably going to be a waste of time, flip side is that he may regret that decision when hes confronted with a progressing curve that needs surgery

Im looking at 2 9 hour surgeries 3 days apart a week in hospital and anywhere near from 6 months to a year painful recovery

Don't want to scare you

Sorry i havent replied sooner i kind of missed this thread

mark