PDA

View Full Version : My essay on scoliosis

Abbi
8th November 2004, 10:51 PM
ok so sorry this is kinna long,......but i have to write a background on scoliosis for my project for wed, and she wants like 8 pages (i have two) i was wondering if you could like read what i have and help me....i forgot that it was due in for wed, i thought i had like a week on it...well if you could maybe help me on what to add to it, and tell me of any spelling msitakes (im so bad for that) lol cheers! xx

Scoliosis: Background

Scoliosis is the medical term taken from the Greek word curvature, and can be defined as a lateral (or side to side) curvature of the spine.
The word “crookedness” was the word used to define scoliosis by an ancient Greek physician Galen.
There is a fine line between the term scoliosis and a mild curve. Scoliosis is measured in degrees. Most people have small curves under 10 degrees in their spine, to orthopaedists this is not considered as scoliosis, as small curves produced a normal rounding of the back. However, scoliosis can occur from a straight back, in children, so a small 10 degree curve in a children could grow to a fifty degree curve if there is enough growing time left.
Scoliosis occurs in approximately 2% of women and less than ½% of men. It usually starts in the early teens and may gradually progress as rapid growth occurs. In total scoliosis affects 1% of the world’s population.
There are some people, who are born with scoliosis; it may not be picked up until a later date, and no one knows how scoliosis occurs so therefore it cannot be prevented.
Scoliosis has been classified as different types, according to the cause of deformity. There are four different types:
· Idiopathic
· Congenital
· Degenerative
· Neuromuscular

Idiopathic scoliosis
Idiopathic scoliosis is by far the most common type of scoliosis, and accounts for 80 – 85% of all cases. Idiopathic means that the cause is unknown. There are four types of idiopathic scoliosis:
o Infantile idiopathic scoliosis – appears before the child’s third birthday and is very rare.
o Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis – develops between the ages of three and ten.
o Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis – is the most common type of scoliosis, it appeared between the ages of ten and thirteen.
o Adult idiopathic scoliosis – this is most likely adolescent idiopathic scoliosis continued on into adulthood, which has gone undetected during childhood.
The other 15 – 20% of cases of scoliosis is the rest.
Congenital scoliosis
This is present at birth, as a result of other birth defects. Congenital scoliosis is often associated with problems such as kidney dysfunctions, urinary-tract abnormalities, or congenital heart defects, such as “a hole in the heart.”
Degenerative scoliosis
This forms during adult life, in a previous straight spine, as a result of degeneration of discs, arthritis in the joints, which link the vertebral to the segments of the spine, or the loss of support in the spine. Degenerative scoliosis is the most common type to cause the most pain and discomfort.
Neuromuscular scoliosis
The changes that scoliosis can cause happens slowly or quickly depending on the height of the child. Scoliosis causes the spine to curve in the wrong direction. A normal spine, when viewed from behind, is straight. But a child who has scoliosis, the spine is not straight; the spine may curve to the left or to the right. Scoliosis can occur in babies, children, and young adults, but it can affect females more than males. The symptoms of scoliosis are:
· One shoulder may be higher or longer than the other;
· The child appears to be walking bending either to the left or to the right.
· The child’s ribs may stick out or one rib may appear to be more predominant than the other
· The child may have back pain.
· Waist is uneven
The curves of the child’s spine are measured in degrees but most cases are minor. Curves up to 15° are normal as small curves round the shoulders. But curves over 15° may require treatment.
To find out how serious the curvature is the Doctor or paediatrician will do the "Adam's Forward Bend Test" which is when the child stands with both feet together and bends down and touches their toes, this will show the spine and the Doctor will be able to see how straight the spine is, if the Doctor feels that the spine has a serious curvature in it the child will be sent for x-rays.
There are three types of treatment available –
· Observation – The child will be watch over a certain number of weeks and if the child’s condition gets worse he/she will require further treatment
· Bracing – This is a brace (usually made out of plastic) which the child wears for at least 18months depending on the degree of the curve, until the degree of the curve gets better.
· Surgery – This is only used as a last resort, and it is mainly for children who have a curve of over 40°. Usually what happens is that the surgeon will insert a long mental rod to straighten the spine or he may fuse the bones together?
Scoliosis can affect the child:
· Socially because if the child has to go to a lot of hospital appointments he/she will not get a lot of time to play outside with his/her friends.
· Emotionally because if the child’s curve is quite severe and it is noticed a lot the child may feel like he/she does not fit in with other people or is being laughed at. He/she may also feel that people will not want to play with him/her due to the condition. The child may not have a great self esteem or self-image and may constantly be putting him/herself down.
· Physically because it can cause back pain and pains in the legs or side. The child may also be tired due to lack of sleep. In some severe cases of scoliosis, since the spine and the rib cage are connected, it can cause some breathing problems and it could also cause a hump in the child’s back.
· Intellectually because if the child has to have surgery the recovery time is 1 month and the child will be missing 1 month of school, which has an impact on his/her education.
Scoliosis can also affect the child’s employment prospects because if the curve can be noticed easily people may not want to employ someone who “looks bad” or makes the company “look bad”. Since scoliosis affects the child’s posture he/she may not even be able to get an office job, as it may be hard to sit all day in one place.
Scoliosis also affects the child’s parents. Some affects are:
· Socially – The parents may have to take time off work to care for the child and may not be able to get out to see their own friends.
· Emotionally – The child may need surgery and the parents may worry a lot about the child
· Physically – They may be up a lot during the night to care for the child if the child is in pain, or they may be worrying too much, this can affect the parents performance at work during the day.
Services for scoliosis –
There is a Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) in London, which is one of the services for children who have scoliosis, and is one of the largest units in Europe. In the RNOH there are several surgeons who deal with scoliosis from small problems to very complex problems. There is also counsellors who talk to the child and the family usually before and after the child has treatment, the counsellor would go through the options and treatments available and explain the effects on the family.

Marti
9th November 2004, 04:36 AM
ummm... first of all, I like it! It all sounds good.

Some ways to make it longer: you might want to go to an information site and look up some stuff on neuromuscular scoliosis. I don't know much about it at all, but I think it's when there's something wrong with your muscles and becuase some are weaker than others, your spine curves. I'm probably wrong though. But just a short paragraph on that would be good.

You might want to be a bit more descriptive about surgery. Typically, they insert a rod and fuse the vertabrae together. you might want to talk about where they get the bone from, anterior vs. posterior, hospital stay, recovery time, etc.

You also could talk about the different parts of the spine (cervical, thoracic, lumbar) and how a curve can occur in any of the parts. Also how there can be one curve, two curves, or three curves. you briefly mentioned it, but you could go into a bit more detail about rotation and maybe thoracoplasties.

Hope that helped! It's a good paper!

Amazed Jean
9th November 2004, 06:59 AM
Abbi, You're doing a great job. Will your teacher be interested in your personal story?

Abbi
9th November 2004, 04:18 PM
Jonny wrote me a whole long massive bit on surgey (cheers jonny) so yeah thats that part done! I have about three pages done already, and its sooo annoying!
I decided to do my essay (project) on scoli cos i know a lot about it!

Amazed - im not sure if she will be or not, on the title page of it, i had to write what i was doing and why, and i said its cos i had a personal experince of it. She is gunna talk to me tomorrow about my project and see what i have done for the background....so i better get going, she wants about 8pages!! yikes!

butterflylr
9th November 2004, 05:03 PM
Are you allowed to use any pictures to demonstrate? You could tell how they measure the degree and show some pics. I also like the idea about going into the different parts of the spine.

I like the whole thing with the different sections of how it affects you. Try to expand those areas with more things. I'll try to site some specifics later. I'm at work now. ;-)

butterflylr
9th November 2004, 06:36 PM
Here's some websites that might be useful to use

scoliosis 1 (http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article299.html)
scoliosis 2 (http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_nonsurgical_measures_managing_effects_of_scol iosis_000068_8.htm)
scoliosis 3 (http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_surgical_procedures_scoliosis_000068_10.htm)
scoliosis 4 (http://www.ctds.info/connective_tissue.html#scoliosis-index)
scoliosis 5 (http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/scoliosis/scoliosis01.html)
scoliosis 6 (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/scoliosis/a/scoliosis.htm)

Be sure to site all of your sources of information and be sure to make it your own. No plagarism! :-)

Keep up the good work. Hope these help.

Abbi
9th November 2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by butterflylr@Nov 9 2004, 05:36 PM
Be sure to site all of your sources of information and be sure to make it your own. No plagarism! :-)

Yes I have used pictures, of three types of braces.....TLSO, C.bending brace, and the miuwalkee (sp??)
I im also going to add pictures of the "adams forward bend test" I am getting a lot of info from my book on scoli...and i am kinna just copying it out of it....which is so not good i no, I am sorta like putting some of it into my own words, but it is so hard....thank you so much for the sites, they really help! :niceone:

butterflylr
9th November 2004, 11:28 PM
You gotta be careful though cause I got dinged for plagarism in college. That can get you in big trouble. I got lucky and the teacher went easy on me. Most colleges will kick you out. :-?

I didn't even really mean to. I just had such a hard time changing the way they put it. So I totally know what you mean.

jfkimberly
9th November 2004, 11:36 PM
If you can't change something, just throw some quotation marks around it and credit them. Nothing wrong with quoting a few sources if they said it best.

Marti
10th November 2004, 01:30 AM
you don't even have to put the quotes... just change a few words and cite it.

floralgypsy
10th November 2004, 09:10 PM
You could also describe how famous authors have written about scoliosis (Deenie comes to mind) - this would give you some extra grounding and make connections with literature from a fictorial point of view.

Abbi
10th November 2004, 09:33 PM
ooh yeah, I didn't think of that! I havent handed it in already tho! but its only rough so i can change it
thank you charlotte

Kayla
10th November 2004, 11:33 PM
It sounds good Abbi! The one thing good about scoliosis is you always have a topic to write about because you know a lot about it. I remember I made a powerpoint presentation on it.

Marti
11th November 2004, 01:29 AM
I know what you mean Kayla... Everytime a teacher asks us to write about an important event in our lives, I have an easy essay right there. I could talk about scoliosis for pages and pages and pages

jfkimberly
11th November 2004, 06:17 AM
That is so funny! I grew up with scoliosis being a major part of my life just about from the day I was born... and I still struggled to come up with topics to write about all the time.

Liv
11th November 2004, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid it's too late fo you, Abbi, :idiot: But these are good articles on Idiopathic Scoliosis (http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic504.htm) and Neuromuscular Scoliosis (http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic526.htm). :niceone:

Abbi
11th November 2004, 09:56 PM
oh thanks liv....my essay isnt fully finished yet, cos its just a rough draft so i can add stuff in, i prob will have to improve it anyways!
They are so good thanks!

Joy
12th November 2004, 04:28 AM
Hmm. I was told my scoliosis was neuromuscluar. But it doesn't say anything about NF on that site Liv.

Abbi, it looks like you have a great start. I did a project on scoliosis, if you want a copy I'll e-mail you one, just ask!

Liv
12th November 2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Joy@Nov 12 2004, 04:28 AM
Hmm. I was told my scoliosis was neuromuscluar. But it doesn't say anything about NF on that site Liv.
Yeah, your right. Your type is neuromuscular... The orthopaedic manifestations of Neurofibromatosis (http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic525.htm).

Here's a good classification (http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/growth/scolio.html) of the different types (Congenital/Neuromuscular/Idiopathic)!

Abbi
12th November 2004, 12:58 PM
Cool that would help Joy, cos I could maybe use some of your info....if thats ok of course

Becky
12th November 2004, 10:13 PM
i wish i was diagnosed with scoli earlia then of could of done some school projects on it. It would of brilliant because everyone i know has never heard of it and it would probally of interested ppl!

iv got the tv on and the airline programme was on, the woman mentioned scoliosis and got my attention, shes from russia and her daughter has scoli, she blames it on radiation because it makes the bones weaker.....surely she must of had scoli to start with and radiation has made it worse?

butterflylr
12th November 2004, 10:17 PM
surely she must of had scoli to start with and radiation has made it worse?

Either that or she wants something to blame it on. I wish I had a reason for my scoliosis. But most of us don't know. So if it makes her feel better to blame it on that, then more power to her I guess. She'll have a fun time proving that one! Hey, if it turned out to be true, that would be kind of cool cause it would be one step closer to figuring out how they heck most of us get it!

Abbi
17th November 2004, 07:10 PM
guys....I just got my essay back,....and well there wasnt really anything wrong with it...but b cos we have to make a Questionnaire out of it...she sez it wouldn't be fesiable to do...cos like what were supposed to do is write about summit and then make a Questionnaire and ask the public what they know...and right enuf how much wud the public know? not a lot. my mum is annoyed that I am changing the topic....but i cant think of any Questions that I cud ask.
Im keepn th4e essay tho...for uni or summit!
Thnx to all who helped (esp.Jonny)

BlueIce
17th November 2004, 08:52 PM
I think there's some questions people could answer though. Ask how many know what it is, what they think you can do about it, when they think someone needs surgery,.. But it's your essay and I don't really know what the goal is so don't mind me :-)

Abbi
17th November 2004, 09:06 PM
hmm....yeah i dunno! I think i will take the easy option of doing an essay on cancer or summit! But i will keep my great brill essay, cos im sure I could use it for something!