PDA

View Full Version : acupuncture and new symptoms

carolad
16th March 2009, 04:19 PM
I've been having weekly acupuncture and massage sessions for the past 10 weeks for my lower back and pelvis pain. This has definitely been helping but I have recently started having new symptoms of neck/shoulder pain and headaches.

It hadn't occurred to me that the acupuncture and the neck/shoulder pain could be connected, but the practioner told me at the weekend that the new symptoms might be as a result of the work she is doing on my back. As she is relieving the muscle spasms in my lower back, she said the other muscles of the back and neck have to work harder, and this can reveal imbalances elsewhere. Not sure if this is right, but it sounds logical - and it is a bit strange that I've only noticed the neck pain and headaches over the last couple of months ie since I've been doing the acupuncture.

Has anyone else had experience of one area being treated, only for the pain to be transferred to another area of the body?

Anyway, I'm sticking for the acupuncture for now and I've just signed up for another 10 sessions. It has helped my back pain, so I'm hoping it might also 'sort my head out' so to speak, if I give it a bit more time!

Mustang Sal
16th March 2009, 05:49 PM
I've been having weekly acupuncture and massage sessions for the past 10 weeks for my lower back and pelvis pain. This has definitely been helping but I have recently started having new symptoms of neck/shoulder pain and headaches.

It hadn't occurred to me that the acupuncture and the neck/shoulder pain could be connected, but the practioner told me at the weekend that the new symptoms might be as a result of the work she is doing on my back. As she is relieving the muscle spasms in my lower back, she said the other muscles of the back and neck have to work harder, and this can reveal imbalances elsewhere. Not sure if this is right, but it sounds logical - and it is a bit strange that I've only noticed the neck pain and headaches over the last couple of months ie since I've been doing the acupuncture.

Has anyone else had experience of one area being treated, only for the pain to be transferred to another area of the body?

Anyway, I'm sticking for the acupuncture for now and I've just signed up for another 10 sessions. It has helped my back pain, so I'm hoping it might also 'sort my head out' so to speak, if I give it a bit more time!

Sorry, can't really answer your question as a voice of experience, because i've never had acupuncture. I agree though that your acupuncturist's theory sounds about right (for what little I know about it all anyway).

Just thought i'd mention that i've been getting headaches every day for over a week now, and i'm thinking it might be down to my neck. I must be sleeping awkwardly (even with my memory foam pillow) and just moving around differently because of my lower back problems, which I figure is causing my to hold my head strangely (I don't know, I can't see how I hold myself most of the time). Either that or it's a side effect of the medication i'm on - I really hope not as i'm doing quite well on them, bar the odd bad day. Because i'm up to the limit on anti inflams, I can't even take a nurofen to get rid of it (which always used to work), and paracetamol does precisely zilch for me, so I just have to put up with it :( My wheatbag does soothe my neck, but my bloody microwave is broken so i'm waiting for my dad to go to curry's or somewhere with me to buy one (obviously can't carry it myself). Grrr!

It's a shame you're getting these problems after managing to find something that suits you, but as you've signed up for more sessions i'm sure it's something your acupuncturist can work on :)

GillyG
16th March 2009, 09:06 PM
It does sound very logical to me Carol, I think you're doing the right thing to sign to sign up for further sessions as she might be able to move steadily up your back, sorting out all the spasms as she goes :)

Good luck, please let us know how you get on ...

carolad
18th March 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for your replies. Sal - hope you are getting some relief from your headaches...or at least have got yourself a fully functioning microwave by now! I'm a convert to these wheatbags I must say - there is something very comforting about them!

After my last session on Saturday, I felt pretty awful the next day - ended up going to bed at about 8pm because the light was hurting my head and I just had to close my eyes :( But the last couple of days I've felt great - my back is good, neck and head are fine. So its definitely doing something positive!

Interestingly it also makes the Alexander Technique easier to do, since it frees up all those tight muscles. I'm nearly scared to say it, but I think I might have found the answer to my pain problems - even if it is just a temporary solution, its worth it just to feel 'normal' for a while!

GillyG
18th March 2009, 08:16 PM
:D :fingersx::D