PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis SOS Clinic? ScolioGold method?

Abnana
7th March 2009, 02:59 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Scoliosis SOS Clinic in Suffolk? I was considering attending it, but was a bit suspicious when they sent me out a letter, because I thought it all sounded a bit too sensationalist. I am finding it had to find information on this place, other than what is given on the website, but I have heard it is not registered with the Health Commision. Does anyone know if the ScolioGold method actually works? It is virtually impossible to find anything out about it, it seems this clinic is the only place to use it.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Paramore Girl
7th March 2009, 05:23 PM
I think there is another link to this somewhere on this site, remember reading it a couple of weeks ago.

Paramore Girl
7th March 2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.scoliosis-support.org/showthread.php?t=7078&highlight=Scoliosis

Try this one, don't know if it what you are looking for.:)

BeckyH
7th March 2009, 05:50 PM
hi there and welcome to SSO,

i have moved this thread to the non-surgical room as hopefully more people will see it. we have had a few members treated at the clinic you mention and i can understand your concerns as it is a significant undertaking, both financially and in terms of commitment to the treatment.

good luck!

mark
8th March 2009, 10:11 PM
Got to agree with you, it is a lot of money for something that is yet to be independantly scientifically proven. It also requires a great deal of self control and determination to exercise everyday for the rest of your life just to maintain any correction that you may have gained whilst completing the course

At least with Schroth you would be undertaking a treatment that has been around for almost a 80 odd years. The treatment offered at the clinic you mention is a hibrid of Schroth and as you say the clinic is not registered with the health care commission.

Sorry i couldnt be of any more help, but i would strongly recommend if you do go down this sort of line (which ever treatment you decide upon) you do keep under a scoliosis consultant who can monitor your curve so you don't all at once end up with a massive curve that is going to be difficult to sort out.

Sorry its not much of a positive post, welcome to sso, i hope you enjoy the site and stick around we are generally a friendly bunch who just want to help one another through the good as well as bad times.

take care

mark

mark
8th March 2009, 10:16 PM
By the way if you want to see what happens hen a curve gets left (whether it be the medics fault or the patients) have a look at the pictures in the link in my signature. Thats me and thats what happens when curves get left

Don't want to scare you but if it was me and i stress this is purely a personal opinion i would opt for the traditional route any day of the week

Again i stress that is my opinion

Abnana
10th March 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replys:D

Yeah at the moment we're just "shopping around" I guess. Although my orthopedic surgeon (who I haven't seen in 4 years) said that there would be no change in my scoliosis, I know myself that it has progressed. The Irish Health System leaves a lot to be desired in some regards. I am due to see him again in a few weeks, but I know that he will tell me that the only option is a spinal fusion. But I wreckon the less operations one can have in their life, the better. I am also due to meet with a consultant in London in April regarding the Scoliosis SOS clinic. I'll know better then what to do. We've also been in touch with various consultants in the US regarding the Schroth method. What to do!

mark
11th March 2009, 12:18 AM
My advice would to be to shop around, try not to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak, if you can travel then all the better, the continent seem to be far ahead of the UK when it comes to conservative treatments

Good luck

Mark

tonibunny
11th March 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Abnana, is it an orthopaedic consultant you're seeing in London (ie a doctor)? I think it's really important that you get some x-rays done if you feel that your scoliosis has progressed, as there is no other way to measure the curve without them. Measuring with a Scoliometer can give some indication of problems but cannot measure the curve itself (see here (http://www.scoliosis.org/store/scoliometer.php) for info about Scoliometers).

If you're still growing and want to try the Schroth Method as offered by the European clinics, bear in mind that this involves strict bracing where necessary. The director of the German clinics, Hans Weiss (grandson of Katherina Schroth, who devised the method), is of the opinion that exercise alone cannot prevent curves from progressing when an adolescent goes through periods of rapid growth. The braces are custom made to support the method; in Spain they prescribe the Cheneau brace, and in Germany they pride themselves on having orthotists who produce extremely effective bracing - they don't think much of braces produced in other countries!

There are physiotherapists who have been trained by and are certified by the official clinics in Germany and Spain, but these are only able to offer to teach you the exercises. This is fine if you are simply seeking to reduce pain and learn to fucntion better - physio is great for developing flexibility, stamina, and working on the core stabilising muscles which support your spine.

Here is a list of all the therapists outside the main clinics that have official Schroth certification:

http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/liste_therapeuten_eng.pdf

Good luck!

mark
11th March 2009, 10:38 AM
Got to agree with everything that toni has said, she's far more articulate than i am :)

sins
11th March 2009, 01:46 PM
The Irish Health System leaves a lot to be desired in some regards.
No argument there and it seems to be going from bad to worse.
I would suggest meeting with your Irish consultant and getting actual measurements of your curvature.You need to ask if it has progressed and by how much.
As for non surgical methods like schroth,I'm not convinced that any of these techniques reduce the curvature in an adult spine.I would suspect that a teenager or child's spine can benefit from schroth and a good brace.
The best an adult can hope for from these non surgical methods is to halt progression and help ease pain.
One of our Irish members made a visit to the schroth clinic in Germany but her daughter's curvature deteriorated so quickly that surgery was her only option and she never got beyond the initial consultation.They arrange therapy courses for english speaking patients when they have enough applicants to run a course.
Sins

RugbyLaura
11th March 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Abnana,

I am also due to meet with a consultant in London in April regarding the Scoliosis SOS clinic.

I'm a bit confused. Are you seeing a medically qualified Consultant or a sales consultant for SOS?

Abnana
11th March 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi Abnana,

I'm a bit confused. Are you seeing a medically qualified Consultant or a sales consultant for SOS?

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, I dont think the person is an actual consultant but that is what they call her in the letter they sent us. At this stage, we're just going over to London to suss things out. We are a bit wary. Still, I will keep an open mind, but I don't want to be pressured into anything.

tonibunny
11th March 2009, 10:36 PM
Within the NHS, the title of 'consultant' is only to be used by senior doctors who have had in-depth training in their speciality. See here:

http://www.drfosterhealth.co.uk/consultant-guide/userGuide.aspx

Outside the NHS though anyone can claim to be a 'consultant', so it's always a good idea to check the credentials of people who might be treating you.

Simon
11th March 2009, 10:45 PM

Simon
11th March 2009, 10:49 PM

Sandman77
15th March 2009, 10:50 PM
How can a 80 year old treatment survive that long if ist not succesful? :)

To think operating after Haringtons way only lasted from the 70s to mid 80s and after that its considered lacking. All though some are still operated that way, yikes!

Just two comparsions to consider...

mark
16th March 2009, 11:14 PM
Hello William, this treatment is not the true Schroth method, its a high brid of schroth and something else.

Schroth works for a lot of people and is well respected in a lot of european countries, unfortunately this treatment is not Schroth in its puriest sense

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

stana29
26th March 2009, 03:41 PM
Hello,

I thought I will add just a little about the Shroth Method.

Some of the exercises from the Shroth Method have been used for many years in rehabilitation centres in mainland Europe including Czech Republic in conjuncion with wearing Cheneau brace.

Cheneau brace is widely used in Germany, Spain, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Greece etc.
UK is the only country that does not make Cheneau brace and I have the suspicion that it is simply only "cost saving issue" hidden behind the explanation of there "not being enough evidence that Cheneau brace is better".

Cheneau brace requires extremelly skilled orthotist as it is not a prefabricated piece of plastic with padding added to it depending on where the curvature like the Boston brace is but it is a pretty amazing piece which requires many more hours to be finished and as opposed to measurements being taken for Boston, Cheneau brace requires casting.

I am getting worried that our children are being robbed of great braces that might reduce or at least halt their progressions thanks to the NHS cost saving.

I also believe that the girl who started ScoliosisSOS done the best possible move she could ever do. We visited the centre (just for a consultation) and we chatted to the ladies who were enrolled on the course and they all seemed very enthusiastic and happy with the exercises.
I belive that if you have the money, you should try it and see it for yourself. Perhaps also trying to get the money reimbursed by your NHS trust is worth fighting for.

Please not that this is just one mother's opinion.

Stana

Please see my daughter's pictures and judge for yourself as to which brace you think might be more effective

http://picasaweb.google.cz/lh/photo/w3c7G0TF3RLEcuqnKu-RDg?feat=directlink

tonibunny
26th March 2009, 05:21 PM
Can I just add that if you go to a centre like the RNOH in Stanmore, they do custom-make all of their braces by casting the wearer for them. I think there's often confusion and in some cases people say "Boston Brace" when they mean a TLSO, just as they used to use the term "Milwaukee Brace" for any CTLSO.

But yes, true Boston Braces are off-the-shelf things that are cut to fit and then padded where necessary to exert pressure on the spine, and I'd agree that any custom-made brace is likely to be more effective than this.

stana29
27th March 2009, 12:04 PM
Hello,
I absolutely agree with you that any custom made brace will be better than just a piece of pre-fabricated plastic with padding inside. Unfortunately, Jessie was measured for her "true Boston brace" and that's why she ended up with the piece of plastic and padding pressing onto the completely wrong pressure points. She now has custom-made Cheneau brace which I believe is better but you can see it for yourself from the pictures I attached.
Stana

Sandman77
30th March 2009, 12:03 AM
Mark thanks for the head up mate. :)