PDA

View Full Version : Post Op accommodation

Jonny
3rd November 2004, 07:23 PM
um... children's hospitals and wards tend to mean listening to screaming and retching through the night more than in adult hospitals I think :-?

Kaja
3rd November 2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah :-o I was at the children orthopaedic and arthritis (sp?) part of the hospital. Lots of screaming and stuff :P Got used to it though :D

lindzi_11
3rd November 2004, 08:58 PM
Well.... when i had to get my ear sugery there wasn't sreaming or anything like that. They are good there and they try to make ur stay nice and comfortabel etc etc

Kaja
3rd November 2004, 09:00 PM
Yes. The nurses there are EXTRA nice, since they're used to small kids :P It's cool, you get spoiled :D ..but some of them are a tad too childish :roll: :nutter: :joke:

Abbi
3rd November 2004, 11:18 PM
LOL! yeah sum can be very patornising (sp) and maybe treat you like you are really young...like 4 instead of 14!
Good luck with your surgery lindzi....I will be thinking and praying for you!
Keep us updated
xx

tonibunny
3rd November 2004, 11:59 PM
I always had a fab time in the Children's Ward in hospital. The adult wards were a lot worse....you don't get treated as nicely, they have very short visiting hours, and adults moan too! I had a senile elderly lady in the bed next to mine last time I was in hospital....she whinged and muttered to herself all night about how the country was going to the dogs and what a state the fat girl in the bed opposite was (she was really rude and racist) and how much she wanted to die! I didn't get a wink of sleep, I felt really sorry for her even though she wound me up so much.

It struck me when we went to visit Jonny at Stanmore this summer that the Coxen Ward at the RNOH is still as nice as it ever was.....the nurses were really friendly and relaxed and happy for me to have a look round. It's good to know that :-)

Marti
4th November 2004, 01:10 AM
I thought the children's hospital was fine. sure, some nurses talk in sort of baby voices, but most of them are fine, and they're fun. One nurse gave me stickers. :-D not a big thing, but I still liked them. I had two roommates while I was there, one was 17 and one was 5. The 17 year old one was actually louder than the 5 year old.

Jonny
4th November 2004, 02:07 AM
In the Adolescent Unit at Stanmore there was a boy called Lewis down the ward from me. He had cerebral palsy and learning difficulties, and was in for neuromuscular scoliosis surgery. (I later learnt that he lives in the same town as me.) This sounds terribly harsh, but his (frequent) moaning and shouting (something about his voice) made me feel really nauseous. Sorry guys, you're right, an adult ward is probably just as bad with the whinging, also judging from visiting people and stories from my mum.

Interesting thing:
in an adult ward, the politics are between the patients.
in a children's/adolescent ward, the politics are between the patients' parents. (and what a lot there were!!)

sins
4th November 2004, 11:01 AM
That sounds really horrible.How many patients go into those wards anyway?I'd be really uptight and anxious about loss of privacy.
Sins

titch
4th November 2004, 11:59 AM
I was in a room on my own after my first surgery down in Cornwall, but was out on the ward in QMC after the salvage surgery. As it happens, while there was a lot that irritated me about it, I actually felt better out on the ward - it was kinda nice having people around a lot of the time. Sometimes there was a certain amount of visitor sharing as well, which helped pass the time :-)

BlueIce
4th November 2004, 12:51 PM
I can't imagine staying on a two-person room after surgery like this. There were times I was watching tv at 4 a.m., imagine doing that when you're not in a private room. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I felt a lot better in my single room. At my hospital there were even rooms with 4 people in them... that would have been hell for me

andrea
4th November 2004, 03:05 PM
I know this is a bit different, but when I had Erin, I was given the choice of a single room or a bed on the ward. I went for the single room, thinking it would give me privacy, but given the choice again I think I would go for the ward. I felt really isolated on my own and wanted to share the feelings and pain I was in with someone else going through the same thing. As I said, not exactly the same, but the only experience I have of hospital I'm afraid.

On Coxen Ward, there are 4 beds and 4 cots, but so far only 2 have been occupied at a time. I'm dreading the day when it's a full house.

Abbi
4th November 2004, 04:01 PM
I think I would like my own room, cos of privacy, but then again I would like a ward....I dunno, I will prob. be stuck on a ward, unless i develop an infection (which i hope does not happen)

BlueIce
4th November 2004, 04:13 PM
a ward can be nice, if there's people your age. It would be even better if there was someone else with the same surgery. In my case there where mostly older people than me (from what I've seen during my first walk around the hall), with hip problems and broken arms and stuff like that. I'm pretty shy as it is, and I really didn't feel like talking to strangers while I was there, so I was better of with a private room.
But as some others said, it has it's advantages too. If there's someone with a broken arm or something, they can still help you with stuff and talk to you.

sins
4th November 2004, 04:48 PM
There's advantages to a ward if you actually like conversation and company.I spent the first five months of my hospital stay on a ward with six girls in each ward.It was open plan, bright and spacious.It was like a boarding school and noone was really sick or in pain.After the surgery I was in a room on my own and I was a bit lonely.I had a nurse for company the first night and she was really pleasant and spent most of the night knitting.At the time there were contract orthopaedic nurses who spent the first night with a fusion patient to make sure all was as it should be.The major advantage of a ward is that there's always someone there if you should need a nurse urgently.
Maternity hospitals are a different matter Andrea.I had a mixture of two bed semi private rooms and a private room.I had insurance so I wouldn't go into a ward.With six women in the ward, all the screaming babies and assorted visitors it would be a nightmare and the over crowding so severe you would regularly see two women after c sections on stretcher beds in the ward too.My biggest problem however was the shower block across the hall where hte public patients had to go.It was appalling, like something you'd have on a campsite.I wouldn't go into those showers after someone else for risk of infection .
I had my ensuite shower and bathroom which was sanitised every morning.maternity matters are basically icky and I'm very fussy about hygiene and cross contammmination.
After surgery I'm such an awkward patient I'd be insisting that hospital staff wash their hands before changing my dressings and after attending to a patient before me.I guess that's me..patient from hell!!!
:lol:

Kaja
4th November 2004, 05:14 PM
I had a single room, and I liked it :D Though I remember (very vaguely :roll: ) that I shared my ICU room with an infant. He/she was in a crip, and I remember the father always sitting next to it. And there were penguins in the hanging from the wall :D Haha, no really, little penguins. Aanyways, the nurses up there talked and giggled all the time :-o It drove me NUTS. I can't imagine not being in a single room :joke:

Blair
4th November 2004, 05:41 PM
I got stuck in the orthopedic floor at Beaumont ... My nurses were really nice. So much so that I wrote a letter to the hospital about them...
But my roomies stunk...
First day, I had a room to myself- they assumed "Blair" was a male, and so wheeled in a male roommate and then figured out the error. Didn't have anybody else waiting, so I got plenty of peace and quiet. Mom tried to get me a private room throughout my stay (Insurance would have covered fully), but there weren't any available.
The next roommate I had was a middle aged to slightly older woman with a fractured pelvis. She was OK when she was awake... But once she fell asleep, she was HELL to have in the room. She didn't SNORE. She MOOed! LOUDLY! And it sounded JUST like a cow. Everyone who went past the room HAD to stop in and enquire! Between the noise and all the interest it generated, I couldn't fall asleep at all. I spent a lot of the time in tears because I wanted nothing more than to fall asleep, but I couldn't.
Thankfully, she was able to go home the next day.
Then i had my other roomie, who was with me the remaining 3 days... She was OLD... And senile! Talked to me (and to nobody) constantly....

tonibunny
4th November 2004, 06:22 PM
The nursery part of the Coxen Ward is much more fun when there are more kiddies in there though Andrea :-) Erin will have a lovely time playing with her new friends. I did! For some reason I have really vivid memories of sleeping in those high-sided hospital cots - it was all cots in there when I was there.

Honestly, I was really happy there, I loved going :D

Joy
4th November 2004, 07:19 PM
I was in a room with four people (ICE) instead of ICU. Then I moved to a room with 2 people. I didn't mind being in the children's hospital because a) they have ICE (intermediate care environment) so I didn't have to go to ICU and b) you get spoiled, and most of the nurses were nice. But there were a lot of screaming babies. There was one baby in ICE with me after my first surgery who was contantly crying (not that I blame him), but even worse, he always had like 10 visitors. His parents and granparents and sibilings and aunts and uncles and cousins - I swear the whole family lived there! But there were always two nurses in there, so I was never alone and the night after my posterior surgery one of the super nice nurses spent almost the whole night with me. Which was nice.

There weren't that many people my age though...

Liv
4th November 2004, 07:30 PM
:lol: Blair, that made me laugh 3 times!!! :D

I had a private room on the pediatrics ward. I was very happy to have my own room because I didn't enjoy even to have *my* visitors.. I was sick or sleeping the whole time (especially the first week). :woe:

Kaja
4th November 2004, 07:35 PM
I didn't like visitors either.. My mum bugged me a lot, and I suffered from moodswings :-o (or my mum was the one suffering, poor woman :D ) I called her a bitch once :shock: :joke: I don't remember that.. :P

I had a neighbour coming (she was in Oslo for work), my uncle (lives there), Ingrid (my friend was on vacation there), and my mum. Not my dad or my brother, they were on the other side of the country.. Anyways. I remember being dizzy and sick when people arrived and I had to talk. Aahh :-(

Liv
4th November 2004, 09:31 PM
One time, I just fell asleep when a friend of my mum was visiting me at the hospital! :roll:

BlueIce
4th November 2004, 09:35 PM
The first days I usually slept while someone was visiting me, to wake up when they were about to leave :roll:

andrea
4th November 2004, 09:35 PM
Blair, you are funny. You poor thing though - it's only funny when you look back on it.

Toni - I can't believe you remember being in the cots! That's an amazing memory, and makes me wonder how much Erin will remember when she's older. She perhaps should have been in a cot this time, as she kept falling through the bars in the bed, as well as scratching her rash on her chest - night from hell for me - but she's just too tall for a cot now. She's so tall for her age - she towers above all her peers and looks like a 3 year old.

I can't get over the fact that you remember so much...

Marti
5th November 2004, 12:01 AM
At my hospital, the only people who get single rooms are those who are infectious or very succeptable to infections. I had a room to myself the first night in ICU, but that was it. I loved having a room to myself. In ICU, the nurses only have 2 or so patients, so you get a lot of attention. My double room was okay. It was definitely worse for my mother than for me though. My first roommate hallucinated. She was 17, but was always complaining. Also, her parents were divorced and the whole time, they were saying awful things about the other one. My second roommate was a five year old who had been diagnosed with diabetes. She was adorable. She cried whenever she got a shot, but that was only for about five minutes a few times a day. Plus, most of the time she wasn't in the room becuase she was in the lounge. The only problem with them was they left the TV on all the time, even when they weren't in the room. That didn't bother me though. All in all, it wouldn't have really made a difference what type of room I was in. I was just glad I wasn't in the next room... the room next to mine was either the little kids room or the brain surgery room... for some reason I can't remember which it was. Anyways, it was a big room with a lot of beds... probably ten or so, all just separated by curtains. It reminded me of the preop room.

elvinwarrior
5th November 2004, 03:47 AM
I was in a single room in the ICU, and in the normal part of the childrens hospital. My mom stayed with me and there was a bed for her that doubled as a couch for my lovely visitors. I liked getting visitors. And I got tons of cards from all the relatives. I actually got 3 cards from my grandmother, and 4 from my aunt. I think they were trying to outdo each other. :D.

Blair
5th November 2004, 04:30 AM
The only visitors I didn't mind while i was in the hospital was my boyfriend at the time, my older sister, and my mom (sometimes...though she did annoy me a few times too). I did NOT want to see my Grandparents, or my Aunt.... I think I may hve gotten a bit cross with them over it too... Though i can't remember exactly.

Of cours, for my first surgery, I didnt' want visitors at all for the first week... For some reason, stupid little jokes and cards become about 10X more laugh worthy when you have broken ribs and are really drugged up. I recall telling my mom and aunt to "Shut the F----- Up" once. I think that was right after I got back to my room from surgery, and they were talking though... I was justified... LOL ;-)

Actually, eventually the MOOing roommate became kind of funny... Then I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh... laughing on fresh back surgery is BAD..

jfkimberly
5th November 2004, 06:04 AM
I had a "semi-private" room after my brain tumor was removed... my insurance would have covered a private room had one been available, but the hospital was full. There was one other bed in the room with me, and I went through three roommates during my stay. The first woman was very old and very quiet. She was discharged the same day I was brought up to the floor. The next woman was more talkative, but she spent as much time on the phone as not, so she did most of her talking to other people. She only stayed overnight.

Then they brought in the most obnoxious person I've ever met. I think it was a ploy by the hospital to get me better faster so I would go home. As soon as she was wheeled in from Surgical Recovery, she started whining about needing a cigarette... and I do mean whining. Everything she said came out as a whine. And her mother hovered over her and encouraged it. And her son! Oh my gosh, he was an annoying little [insert expletive]. Clearly, no discipline takes place at home.

Anyway... I would definitely insist on a private room if there's a choice.

Joy
5th November 2004, 10:56 PM
One of the girls from school came to see me two days post-op, even though she's scared of hospitals. And I was too druggeed to really talk to her much. She's never let me forget that.

Becky
6th November 2004, 01:31 PM
When i have my op, i only want my mum, dad, sister, brother in law and boyfriend, to vistit. The rest of my family and friends can see me when i feel a little better if they want. i dont want ppl to see me looking a mess and in pain.

floralgypsy
7th November 2004, 12:15 PM
I was transferred from one hospital to another after my surgery, so I was placed in isolation (MRSA is a problem here). I had my own room, my own television and plenty of space. This was great when my parents were there, because I could say what I liked and nobody could hear me, but when they left, I did feel incredibly alone. After all the swab tests came back negative for MRSA, I was allowed to be moved onto the ward with other patients. This was better because I could talk to people, but, as I was on a ward with much older people having hip replacements, I felt alone in my experience.

The lady opposite me had just had a hip replacement, but was suffering tremendously with dizziness and headaches caused by the epidural. She felt so sick and they were trying everything to help her, but nothing worked. She was so kind to me when I woke up after a nightmare, that I felt so awful knowing that she was in so much pain. She was so brave, so comforting when I was upset, and yet I felt I shouldn't be there as I couldn't offer any sympathy back. I wanted to go back into isolation and keep my moans to myself.

jfkimberly
7th November 2004, 12:26 PM
What is MRSA?

sins
7th November 2004, 01:31 PM
Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus Aureus.
it's one of these multi drug resistant bacteria that can cause major damage to a patient if it infects them after their surgery, which is why I'm a primadonna patient insisting that medical staff wash hands before examining me or changing dressings etc....
Sins

Marti
7th November 2004, 10:20 PM
Sins, that is not being a primadonna! That's insisting that hospitals have good sanitation!

titch
8th November 2004, 10:01 AM
You have to be really careful with it all, no matter if the medical staff get grumpy with you. A nurse I know watched a doctor do hands on treatment with a patient who was known MRSA positive (not a problem for her as she didn't have any wounds for it to infect) and then go straight on to another patient who had had a hip replacement and examine the wound without bothering to wash his hands in between. The patient with the hip replacement got infected, and had to be treated with vancomycin for an extended period. She was unlucky that the nurses didn't see fit to do their job and tell the doctor quietly to observe hygeine rules, but at least they got her tested and treated asap, so that it was never able to flare into a full scale infection - I guess that's something at least.

jfkimberly
8th November 2004, 10:11 AM
Ack. That's rather disturbing.

titch
8th November 2004, 10:40 AM
This was at a down at heel local hospital that has a pretty appalling reputation, so I don't think it's representative necessarily of the general standard of care - increasingly, in orthopaedics in particular, they are very careful across here. QMC were very careful, and The Heart Hospital were good as well :-) It still definitely pays to be insistent about things being done properly though.