PDA

View Full Version : please help

Unregistered
3rd February 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi there. My partner has got Scheuermann's Kyphosis. We both want to have children but are afraid that the babies might inherit the kyphosis. We've been searching for the information and advice. Anybody here knowing anything about it please help. Many many thanks.

Rodsrme
3rd February 2009, 03:12 AM
My doctor told me that I have a thirty percent chance of having girls with it. I have kyphoscoliosis. :)

hvdeen
3rd February 2009, 03:58 AM
hello-as far as I understand there is a chance Kyphosis can be passed down but it is not definite. My mom has mild kyphosis and my two sisters don't but I had/have really bad Kyphosis to the point I needed surgery. There is probably a higher chance of you having children with it than an adult couple who don't have Kyphosis but I am thinking it is not something that would be for sure. That is my guess but it would probably be good to talk to some one who knows about this kind of stuff for sure. Hope this helps.

mark
3rd February 2009, 10:36 AM
My gran on my mother side had it, my mum has it and so do i. So there is some kind of dodgy gene in my gene pool. Have a look at the post at the top of this forum, thats me and my Scheuermanns

mark

jollop
4th February 2009, 12:06 AM
hi. i have kynosis really bad.no one in my family have any spine problems at all.only me.i have 5 kids 3 boys and 2 girls .thankgod they have no spine problems.the gp checks the kids every year to makesure the spines are ok.

Bows
4th February 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi and welcome,
My Mum has mild Scheuermanns she was the only one of 7 children to have it, i have mild scoliosis, i have two children a girl of 20 and a boy of 17 neither of them have either. I wouldnt have chosen not to have children because of it.
You need to do what feel right in your hearts. :squeeze:

titch
5th February 2009, 09:01 AM
I don't actually know what the percentage risk is. I'm the only person in my family with curvature - my dad has slight rotation of his spine, but it's straight, and my cousin has had a lot of trouble with his back in years gone by, but that is solved by wearing orthotics in his shoes - it's really not a back problem as such.

I wasn't diagnosed until 15, but with hindsight the curvature was there certainly from approx 7 or 8. I've got other issues such as joint inflammation, and it may yet turn out that the scoliosis is part of a wider syndrome. Basically I have no idea just how likely my scoliosis is to be hereditary. I'm also one of the unlucky ones who has not had a good result so far from surgery.

Despite this, while there are things I would change if I could, such as being pain free, or being able to walk decent distances, I'm actually for the most part pretty happy. None of us know what life holds in store for us, and there are plenty worse things than this.

Anyway, my point with all of that is that I have a son who is now approaching 2 years old, and I wouldn't go back on it for anything :) Yes, I worry, and I check his back periodically and no doubt will do until he's done growing. Ironically though, I'm considerably more worried about his childminder's younger daughter, who is just 2 months older than him. She's a very slender build, with a narrow face and evidence of hypermobility, and has dislocated her elbow twice so far. There's no history of anything in her family, but I'm actually a lot more worried for her than for William.

I hope you're able to make a decision that you're happy with.

sins
5th February 2009, 01:54 PM
I would not view scheuermann's kyphosis as a reason not to have children.However I would recommend seeing a genetic counsellor,discuss this with your GP.
There are no statistics available on the heritability of scheuermanns although it's possible that it may be passed on.
The biggest problem with scheuermanns or any other spinal curvature is that it's not detected early enough for conservative treatment.If your partner has it then you're both aware of it and could keep check on any children.
Consider the progress made over the last 20 years with spinal technology,by the time any potential children you may have are grown,there may be access to medical technology which can deal with kyphosis.Who knows?
In the overall scheme of things,Kyphosis is a not life threatening physical condition although it is without doubt psychologically distressing for patients who have it.
In short,keep your options open and consult an expert genetic counsellor.
Sins