PDA

View Full Version : scroth therapy on 50 year old curves (no surgery) ?

cinscoli
21st January 2009, 02:19 AM
Hello, I am nervous to spend almost five thousand dollars on the treatment.Will Medicare re-imburse me and how much? And is it worth it? Does it really stop progression and pain>?
Thanks cindy

BeckyH
21st January 2009, 10:33 AM
hi cindy

welcome to SSO. i have moved this thread to the non-surgical forum as more people who know about this sort of stuff will be able to see it. i have no experience of schroth myself, but we have members who have been treated at the clinic in germany as well as a similar exercise-based therapy clinic in the uk.

sins
21st January 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Cindy,
have you tried the NSF forums as well. www.scoliosis.org (http://www.scoliosis.org)
there may be some people there who have experience of non surgical procedures.Non surgical therapy is never guaranteed to hold curves or help with pain,and yes it is a lot of money and hopefully your insurer will be able to help with payment if you feel this treatment is for you.I think if becomes afordable thru insurance,then you have little to lose,it's worth seeing if the pain eases from the exercises.
Sins

cinscoli
23rd January 2009, 04:47 AM
Thank you :)

titch
23rd January 2009, 09:15 AM
I've got only the vaguest idea of how insurance works (or doesn't) in the US, but I believe Medicare is one of the state/disability type things? I know that there are a few insurances which will provide at least partial reimbursement for attendance at certain specific clinics (I think the Wisconsin clinic has been mentioned on NSF as being covered occasionally), but in all honesty I would doubt that Medicare would provide a significant amount of cover, if any at all.

That said, all you can do is ask! If it is the Wisconsin clinic (the name of which currently eludes me), from what I have heard on the boards they are friendly and helpful, so they'd be the best place to start, as they might have some idea on whether it can be covered by quoting the right codes (I know that with some insurance, cover comes down to stating the right code to get things filed under something they actually cover, even though there may be a very similar thing that they just don't cover for whatever reason).

Sorry that's such a vague reply! Please feel absolutely welcome here though - we might not know much about the complexities of the US system, being largely European as we are, but we're still here as a listening ear and somewhere you can relax among friends :)

Lucy7
23rd January 2009, 07:00 PM
I agree the NSF is a great place to ask Medicare questions. If not, try the AARP as they have helped countless friends of mine understand more about medicare or at least point you in the right direction. Let us know what you discover.

Take care,
Lucy

Sandman77
15th March 2009, 10:57 PM
old curves and schroth are still highly discussed. how is it going? are you fused or non fused? also bracing is being tested on older scoliosis people...