PDA

View Full Version : The Miracle Ball Method

crkcallie
19th January 2009, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone! I wanted to tell you about this new tool that I found out about that can help with scoliosis pain and discomfort. It's called The Miracle Ball Method. While at my mother's house over the weekend, my mom let me use these little hand-held yoga balls. What you do is you lie on your back and you put one ball on a problem area of your back. It also tells you in the booklet it comes with to put both balls by your tailbone. The idea of this method is to let gravity do the work for you in helping the problem. I was doing yoga stretches and the doctor I used to go to told me that I would see a difference in three weeks. After the three weeks had passed, I didn't see anything different or feel any better. This Miracle Ball Method in conjunction with yoga stretches, I think, will help me to get my back straighter faster. If you want to purchase these and you live in the U.S., you can buy them at a local Costco, which was where I found them, or you can get them from Costco online. If you live in the UK, I think you can still get them on the Costco online site. I hope others will find this tool beneficial like I do.

MKappelmann
19th January 2009, 11:14 PM
It sounds like what my therapist told me to do! Only I use 2 tennis balls & it's much cheaper! It does help release those trigger points for sure.

crkcallie
20th January 2009, 12:55 AM
Hello MKappelmann. You do something similar to help relieve your pain? That's great! I really don't know why I didn't come across these Miracle Ball Method things a long time ago. They would have really helped me get my back better faster. Good luck with your treatment method. I hope that it works out for you. :D

MOB
20th January 2009, 07:01 PM
I think they are the balls that are used in Pilates

Unregistered
30th January 2009, 12:35 AM
Are these the same balls that i have seen on the amazon website?? And do you have to purchase the balls and the booklet seperately or do they come together???

MKappelmann
30th January 2009, 12:53 AM
They are for sale on ebay or amazon for fairly cheap & you can buy it with the balls & booklet or just the booklet.

sarahsmum
1st February 2009, 01:20 AM
Are there any specific exercises in the booklet that you should do that would target the scoliosis???? And how long should you do each of these exercises for???? Sarah has tried exercise two in chapter two: ribs on the ball, but we don't know how long she should stay in that position??? Also would you recommend any others from that booklet, Sarah has a 70* curve with lots of back pain that keeps her up at night as well.

Thankyou all for your help.

crkcallie
12th September 2012, 07:06 AM
Hello sarahsmum. I don't think there are any exercises in the book that specifically target scoliosis. I just started putting them in areas that really effected me. What the balls do, after you have been laying on them, is they lengthen the muscles. The reason that we have so much pain from the scoliosis is because the muscles are so tight and are accustomed to holding the spine in one position. This Miracle Ball Method would definitely help your daughter with her back pain and help her sleep easier at night.

Starlage
2nd June 2013, 09:36 PM
i just found this old thread- any updates on using this specifically for the back muscles around the spine? I use tennis balls for targeted muscle pain (like knots) but am very interested in these slightly larger then a tennis ball (and softer?) to use for the back. I wonder if anyone's using these specifically for scoliosis? Like I'm thinking for example with my s shaped curve maybe putting one of these balls where my lumbar apex is? hmm.... I'm very curious!

adaptation
3rd June 2013, 04:53 AM
I hate adjectives like, 'Magical' ball, 'Miracle' rods or 'Wonder' bread, but, that aside, yes, such balls are used and very effective for myofacial release, but so are rollers.

And their are times to use rollers and times to use balls for release. BUT don't get obsessed with either one, both are important, that is, reducing surface area and increasing surface area both have a time and place in remedial massage. Each one has it's advantage and disadvantage.

Rollers are used if you are targeting a generally larger muscle as a whole and balls (more focused) are used if you a targeting a smaller muscle as a whole or part of a larger muscle more intensely.

For example if you wanted to steamroll your lower back area because you have overworked it from lifting or day, use a roller.

If, conversely, you have hurt one side of your lower back by twisting in one direction excessively, use a ball or something more pointed and just press on that side.

Caution: myofacial release should only be used to release muscles that are too compressed, too overworked, NOT muscles that are weak and underused. Both states cause different kinds of pain and it is critical to determine if it is from underuse or overuse and if both sides are affected or just one side.

I suspect in the original post, that the balls were placed on both sides of the tailbone to help release the muscles around the sacrum. The sacrum like the head, is an important end pole of the spine. In Kyphosis or Flat Back both sides of the sacrum front or back, depending which it is, will be affected and, in scoliosis, the front of one side will be affected and the back of the other, depending on that direction of the curve's 'point'

At PhysioAdvisor find
- Upper body roller exercises
- Lower body roller exercises
- Upper body ball exercises
- Lower body ball exercises

Adapatation.

Angeceilien
3rd June 2013, 02:54 PM
I do something similar with pilates balls...tennis balls seem abit harsh comparef though cz my ones or slightly bigger than tennis balls and have slightly more give..

Found I feel alot better after yoga than pilates...I found my lumbar curves to be minor in compared to my thoracic not sure if it due to all those years of working on my core...

Starlage
4th June 2013, 02:55 PM
I have heard a lot about foam rolling. Seems like aside from things that I could do for my back muscles it's a good overall practice with exercise... hmm. :)

titch
5th June 2013, 08:52 PM
Foam rollering has certainly helped my husband as part of his physio program. He doesn't have scoliosis, but does have excess lordosis, sacroiliac issues and has had severe lumbar disc injury, so keeping himself in a stable condition requires quite a bit of work - one of those situations where if he had an active job, and didn't have to commute, things would probably not be so much of a problem, but we can't afford for him to retrain to anything else, so just have to work out a way to live with it. Anyway, he's found the foam roller stuff to be pretty useful in maintaining his sanity :)