PDA

View Full Version : Is Sarah asthmatic ??

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
28th October 2004, 05:10 PM
I've just taken Sarah to the doctors - She has had a bad cold recently, I was more concerned with her constant cough which has now lasted 2 weeks.
Our doctor thinks she may be asthmatic again - She did suffer with asthma five years ago with the same symtoms. It seems whenever she catches a cold it leaves her with this dry constant cough mainly at night.
I wonder if the progressive socliosis has now put more pressure on her lungs?.
The doctor has given her a course of antibiotics and Salbutamol Ventolin inhaler to use four time a day. She is to try this for 2 weeks to see if the cough gets any better.
Has anyone here have the same symtoms as Sarah?

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
28th October 2004, 05:25 PM
I've just discovered "Reduced lung capacity" on the scoliosis specific information section. So some of my questions have been answered.

Abbi
28th October 2004, 06:46 PM
so its not asthma....thats good! what is sarahs curve?

titch
28th October 2004, 06:55 PM
Asthma can definitely come and go, particularly if it's allergy related, and a cold can definitely trigger a bout of it by making everything much more sensitive.

Also, as regards the curvature, there can be problems related to the reduced lung capacity, but in cases where the lung capacity is good it can still have some impact when there is an additional stress such as a cold, the good thing being that this will pass as the additional stress factor passes :-) It's definitely good to be aware of the potential for this to impact her though, so although the antibiotics and inhaler will almost certainly work at least you're well informed :-)

Becky
28th October 2004, 09:05 PM
im on my second cold this month!!!! i had one when i went on holiday on 1st October, and iv just got another with a sour throat, cough and headaches!

i think i need more vitamin c!

jfkimberly
28th October 2004, 10:07 PM
I still don't feel like I've completely shaken the cold that I got 2-1/2 weeks ago. I had my follow-up with Dr. Goza on Tuesday at 1pm. I was home by about 3:30pm, and went to my room... I ended up falling asleep around 5 and slept pretty much through the night (without the BiPAP because I didn't expect to fall asleep when I did). I woke up yesterday with a persistent headache that no amount of caffeine seemed to cure.

My head feels better today, but I'm still tired. I wish I had some real symptoms so I could know for sure that I'm sick. This general lethargic feeling just makes me feel lazy.

sins
28th October 2004, 10:23 PM
You know Chrissy, as sarah is so young and her curve approx 60 degrees it's unlikely that it will have impacted on her lung capacity.
There are lots of very nasty viral coughs out there and the inflammation can last long after the illness has passed.
Asthma can appear in different forms and I would tend to agree with her gp.One way to be sure is to buy a peak flow meter for kids and measure how much air she can blow out in a sharp breath. If it reduces dramatically you might consider asthma.Mine drops by 25% and signals an attack.You can get this by mail order on most asthma support sites or ask your gp.
Sins

ivanleg
29th October 2004, 04:58 PM
Good advice about the peak flow meter, I usually wait until I have an attack before I do anything. Luckily I now have a couple of inhalers laying about and I don't have to stay up all night gasping before I can see a doc.
A cold can definitely trigger an asthma attack, it's happened to me a couple of times. Also dust, stress, exercise and any number of things. My dad gets it if his back is chilled so he covers his back with a coat when he's going to the back shed in the colder weather.

Pikey
29th October 2004, 07:01 PM
I'm always catching colds in winter , someones only got to mention the words cold or flu and i will catch it and i hate sneezing with my dodgey neck . I'm alright if i can prepare for the sneeze but if one comes along and i'm not ready for it , then that can really hurt and the aches and pains when i have a cold always go right down my spine .
Infact i hate winter , i need to emmigrate to Aus .Linny lout could hide me away somewhere until winters over .

Amazed Jean
29th October 2004, 07:46 PM
Pikey, You are right about sneezing. With my twists and turns when I sneeze it is so loud it clears the room and hurts like hell not to mention how embarassing it is. So far I have sprained my chest wall and given myself countless sore necks. Then its muscle relaxant time -which means I'm going to end up in bed cause those things make me woozy.