PDA

View Full Version : A new (old) Scheuermann

Toni
26th December 2008, 09:41 AM
My name is Toni.
I am an 54 old "Scheuermann".
I live in South-Germany and work as consulter for renewable energy by biomass.
Sorry, my english is rather poor.
I had a lot of pain in my live and so many problems with my spine.
Ihave found my way.
I weare a brace (RAHMOUNI reklination-orthesis) and make my physiotherapy methode SCHROTH.(learned and trained in this Rehabilitation-Clinic: http://www.skoliose.tv (http://www.skoliose.tv/) )
Now i am straigth and painless.
I feel realy good and need no surgery.
http://toni.skoliose.net/kyphose/Toni%20Kyphose.jpghttp://toni.skoliose.net/kyphose/neue%20Haltung.jpg
my body before bracing an after 6 month in brace an 4 weeks in Schroth-REHA.

http://toni.skoliose.net/kyphose/Im%20Rah.von%20vorne.jpg
this is my first custom made Rahmouni-brace. it fits perfectly and correct from 68° to 35° in high thorakal curve.

http://toni.skoliose.net/kyphose/Im%20Rahmouni%20von%20der%20Seite.jpg
my brace from side.

Never stop the hope for a better form of spine,
nobody ist to old to make SCHROTH an wear a good brace!
Greets from Germany
Toni

tonibunny
26th December 2008, 12:47 PM
Hi there Toni! I'm called Toni too, but I'm a girl :D I'm one of the moderators here so you'll probably see my name around quite a lot :)

:welcome2:

It looks like you have been able to build your musculature up to support your spine very well, congrats! How often to do wear your brace? I've heard that Rahmouni have an extremely good reputation.

Toni xx

Toni
26th December 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi there Toni! I'm called Toni too, but I'm a girl :D I'm one of the moderators here so you'll probably see my name around quite a lot :)

Hello Toni!
my full name is Anton-Rupert, but nobody calls me so.
in the german-language www.skoliose-info-forum.de (http://www.skoliose-info-forum.de) you can see my name also often (as one of the co-administrators).

:welcome2:

Thank you for welcome. The bent people are a big familiy.

It looks like you have been able to build your musculature up to support your spine very well, congrats! Yes, it was a hard work. I lost 25 kg fat in my very tigth plastic-corset. In same time i worked hard in SCHROTH and sequenz-training. The pressure on abdomen and belly takes the appetit.

How often to do wear your brace?
My first Rahmouni-reklination-brace 2 jears 23h/7d. The brace must be chanced (smaller an more havy correcture-pillows) every 6-8 weeks.
Than i get my second Rahmouni without the reclination-parts:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/tonibunny/ssoguy2.jpg
it ist much more thigt, but more freedom in shoulders. Rahmouni gives this typ of brace only patients with a good an permanent self-recination and a good SCHROTH-consciousness.
I take this brace 14 - 16h/d and 6d/week. I sleep in my old brace every nigth very well.
Since this summer i waer an new brace (not from Rahmouni)
it is called: Tuebinger-anti-kyphosis-brace. It is an 35 jear old desing by Prof. Dr. Zielke (he was the famost spine-surgeon in Germany- like Dr. Harrington in USA) an his Orthopedian Master Nusser in a little but very old University-city in south-Germany. http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/qvr/e-30/30-02-04.html

You can see my Tuebinger-brace in this tread:
http://www.skoliose-info-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=90027#90027

I've heard that Rahmouni have an extremely good reputation.

Yes, he is mor than an orthopedist. He is an artist. He is a sculptor with living body´s. his braces and corsets givs much more correture than all other. But its very hard to addiction/becoming habituated. But after 4 or 6 weeks hard figth with very high compliance you get the greatest chance of non-surgery-straigtening. Only the fist weeks are very hard. Before i get in brace, i had endless pain in cest an back.
The brace taks the pain from the first minute.

i had 7 braces before Rahmouni in my live. A Risser-cast, a Becker-Gschwendt-brace, a Taylor-brace, a Boston-overlap-brace and a custom-made Milwaukee- brace from Switzerland.
The boston-brace was the greatest horrible plastic-waste.
The Milwaukee was very good, after Master Rahmouni makes the adjustment perfect.

But its impossible to live and work, drive car as an adult person in Milwaukee-brace. I like the Milwaukee sometimes as an very effektiv training-brace to self-streching at home.

After my Schroth-REHA in Bad Salzungen i had the know-how to hold my brace-correcture with my own autochtone muscels longer and longer. When i am out of brace, i try to hold my straigthening permanently with SCHROTH in my mind.

Intensiv SCHROTH daily aprox. 30 minuts. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/tonibunny/SSOguy1.jpg

I know, that i must doe this for rest of my live, but i have no pain and no problems with it.
My brace is unvisible under my clothes and i am not handicaped by my brace. Sometimes i must drive 7-10 hour´s i my car. No back-pain. I know many Persons with "normal" spine. They have great pain after 3 hours in car sitting!

Greets from Alpes
Toni

tonibunny
27th December 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Herr Toni! :D

Do you know when you will be able to stop wearing your brace? Or will you always need to wear one for at least some hours of each day?

I have heard of Zielke, he designed the anterior instrumentation that I currently have from L1-L3 :-)

Fraulein Toni xx

Toni
28th December 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Lady Toni :grinsevil:

Do you know when you will be able to stop wearing your brace?
in the moment i am not able to say definitifly i can stop bracing.
Every year in holidays i have 2 - 3 weeks without brace and test live in "freedom".
I do not have problems without brace, but it is to be remained in the long term very arduously continuously from own deep muscle power upright and corrected.
We made a canoe route on the river Rhine from switzerland to north sea. I got pain in the breast spinal column on the 10th day without Korsett. I looked for myself 2 flatten round of river pebbles and made on it half hour a SCHROTH physiotherapie. The pain was away and I could a further week without corset in the canoe paddles. After 3 weeks without brace it was however a release and a relief means bodies again into the turtle tank to buckle on. But I would have borne with much SCHROTH also still much longer without bracing.

Or will you always need to wear one for at least some hours of each day?

In the first two years after beginning Rahmouni-bracing 2003 and 2004 I had a 23 h compliance. I had achieved the possible maximum at putting up. Then I tried to remain upright ever more hour without Korsett from own Kraft. That was much exerting. It would not have been possible without SCHROTH Pysiotherapie.

Now my free decision the support is to be carried or not. I carry each night the Rahmouni brace because I thereby very well sleep. Better than without korsett.

On the day I carry the Tübinger brace to the car drive, to sit at the computer and to buissenes discussions for hours. Thus I remain easy upright. If I do not carry the Korsett, then I must exert to remain always upright. I carry then my "virtual Milwaukee".

We adult brace user have to use the freedom the brace aid or to throw it into the corner when we to want.

That a Korsett the musculature damages in the long term is legend and lie.
The opposite is the case.
The Korsett forms and gives a isometric holds against. The entire trunk musculature continues working in the Korsett. She builds only off if one only lies (or in space). If one in the Korsett normal works and lives becomes her rather more strongly. Thus one gets muscular strain at the beginning of the brace therapy.
One may not hang passively in the Korsett. One must correct isch again and again actively in the Korsett.

Brace therapy is unpleasant only at the beginning in the phase of acclimatizing and in the summer at very hot temperatures.

A condition for a success conservative spinal columns of a straightening is a perfect Korsett. Estimated 80% all braces are waste and scrap iron. Only by hand made Korsette after body gypsum casting is really good.

(Exception: Klaus Nahr in Berlin forms the Korsette in the computer after CAD/CAM and achieves thereby very good corrections.)

The Korsett must mediate from the first moment to a feeling of success. Even if it does at the beginning pain.
The rest is COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE-COMPLIANCE.........

I have heard of Zielke, he designed the anterior instrumentation that I currently have from L1-L3 :-)

Yes, Prof. Zielke optimised the Harrington. Penedicle screws instead of hooks. So he give the Harrington instrumentation more stability.
He was legendary. Its original occupation was a carpenter. Then it studied medicine and became an orthopedic surgeon. Its special love was valid for all bent ones and "Skoliosen".

It has to help its whole life for it dedicated scoliotic and "buckligen" humans. It wrote an article to 1978: Scoliosis, the dishonor of the Orthopädie. Therein it deplored that the few physicians the phenomenon " Scoliosis" understand and do still less in order to help.
He said once: " Which I screw, a life keeps lang".

greets Toni

alyssa
28th December 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Toni, I'm Alyssa or just Lyssie the guys call me! =D I live in the UK.

I am so impressed with your dedication and hard work to improve your kyphosis, and it's worked! wow! Unlike Toni I have the newer hardwear in my spine (for scoliosis)which I am not sure of the name.
I am just fused from T11-L3! I had surgery when I was 17 and I'm now 20!
I was stupidly never offered a brace which I would have taken if it was offered for sure, even though I dont regert the surgery but it was really the only option I had as I had finished growing and the curves were getting worse =(

But I am happy now, with my straight spine =) I bet you're chuffed,

Lyssie xx

Toni
29th December 2008, 07:55 AM
Hy Lyssie

I was stupidly never offered a brace which I would have taken if it was offered for sure, even though I dont regert the surgery but it was really the only option I had as I had finished growing and the curves were getting worse =(

Most progrediend Skolioses ends on the operation table. The operation to avoid is possible only with first-class conservative therapy. Only a derotation-brace with clearly more than 50% correction can improve a Scoliosis. Unfortunately so good braces is very rare. Its impossible with industrial braces.

The orthopedists have often only experience with bad braces. They know that these cannot help. They however never ask, why the braces is so bad.
I have the impression that the surgeons have no interest in successful conservative therapy.

But I am happy now, with my straight spine =) I bet you're chuffed,

Lyssie xx

Congratulate. You may be happy. We hope that the operated spinal column never prepares problems and pain for you.
I have already a great many operations behind me, but never at the spinal column….

look this pictures of my therapie an a young lady with 49°Cobb, 15 jears an Risser 4. She said NO to Operation and take the Rahmouni brace and goes to learn SCHROTH-Therapie. see the result:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=107853459&albumId=432502

greets Toni

mark
29th December 2008, 03:39 PM
Hi Toni welcome to sso

As a fellow Schueremann's sufferer i admire your brace compliance unfortunately some of us have 100 + degree curves which need surgical intervention not just for the physical pain but also for the psycological pain we are in.

Thanks for posting your pictures and i hope you enjoy the site

All the best for the new year

mark

Toni
29th December 2008, 04:35 PM
Hello marc
I am deeply impressive by the pictures of your back.
I cannot understand nearly, how your physicians left it so far too.
I can a little along-feel how much pain and mental cruelty with this round back was connected. I had only 68° and nevertheless me my round back and pain nearly into the insanity drove.

I know many Scheuermann-disease patients in Germany. Also some after operation.
These are however not happy and not at all pain-free.

I am not convinced that a fusion OP heals the Scheuerman- spinal column.
On the contrary.
A piece of spinal column is straightened, and funsioned to only one bone.

What is with the remainder of the body?
The shortening the legs back?
Tilting the basin?
The Hyperlordosis lumbal?
The shortening breast muscles?
The hanging shoulders?
The wrong head attitude?
Fear?
Operation risk?
Morphium dependence after the OI?
The mental injuries?
That cannot eliminate an operation.

The border for a Corset therapy is 85° Cobb.
With HALO Extension and a perfect RISSER body-cast perhaps 95°.
With you also the best brace and Schroth would too late have come.
For you the operation was the correct and last decision.

But also importantly the young Scheuermann-patients are not to be left at all so far to leeways.

My experience is:
Successful conservative therapy does not only stabilize the spinal column. The whole body. Also the soul is stabilized.
The best operation is which one avoid can.

That is however only possible if a physician, Physiotherapeuten and carry an orthopedist out first-class work and the patient has a good Compliance.
Compliance develops only from genuine Cance and confidence.
greets Toni

mark
29th December 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for your kind words you truly are an inspiration and have a really big heart that can sympathasize with fellow sufferers

I hope you stay around the site and help fellows who are in the same boat as me and you, if together we help half the people who suffer from this horrible condition we both have then we done a job well done

I'm glad you found us Toni, your inspiration and input is worth a thousand words i can ever say

mark