PDA

View Full Version : ct scan with dye.

lynns
27th October 2004, 12:44 AM
i have been told by many that they are sick or flu like symptoms.
can i get any input on this please

sins
27th October 2004, 12:50 AM
I had no side effects at all Lynn.I was told to lie flat after it for several hours but it was absolutely fine.
Sins

lynns
27th October 2004, 12:57 AM
thanks sins. i guess its differ for everyone.

Kayla
27th October 2004, 03:20 AM
a CT scan with dye? can you exp[laing this please? I have had angeograms whcih use dye but I think your talking about something else?

Carly
27th October 2004, 04:54 AM
I had one and I didnt feel anything after...

jfkimberly
27th October 2004, 05:01 AM
Sometimes when they do a CT scan, they inject a contrast dye. Sometimes they don't. It depends on what they are looking for. The dye would be absorbed by certain types of tissue so they'll show up better on the scan.

Lynns, I don't know what they use for a contrast agent with CT, but when I had my MRIs for my brain tumor, they used gadolinium, and it didn't make me a bit sick.

Amazed Jean
27th October 2004, 05:08 AM
I've had a MRI and CT scans with dye. I did not have a reaction to either.

Jonny
27th October 2004, 02:04 PM
Kayla, for an angiogram they inject a radioactive dye into your circulatory system and then scan for radiation, and a CT scan is basically a huge computerised 3D x-ray scanner that fires x-rays at you from all directions. I think.

All I've had is a plain old MRI so can't help I'm afraid :-(

tonibunny
27th October 2004, 02:15 PM
I've had a bone scan for which I was injected with a radioactive tracer. This wasn't a CT or an MRI, but was done using a handheld scanner thing.

sins
27th October 2004, 02:53 PM
You can also have a myelogram where dye is injected into the spine to show up the spinal cord under x ray.It's fine as procedures go!!

Blair
27th October 2004, 04:08 PM
I've had 7 of those buggers... No real problems... Except that irritating "I gotta go" feeling you get from the dye...
Have also had the bone scan with flow (like Toni)... I was fully expecting to turn a brilliant shade of neon green, but nothing fun or cool like that happened...

Kaja
27th October 2004, 04:29 PM
I've only had x-rays 8)

lynns
27th October 2004, 05:26 PM
mine is a ct myleogram of the cervival. thanks guys for all the input

Kayla
27th October 2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Oct 27 2004, 06:04 AM
Kayla, for an angiogram they inject a radioactive dye into your circulatory system and then scan for radiation, and a CT scan is basically a huge computerised 3D x-ray scanner that fires x-rays at you from all directions. I think.

All I've had is a plain old MRI so can't help I'm afraid :-(
Jonny I know what an angiogram is I have had three of them lol I hate them they hurt so much afterwards since they inject into a very important artery you cant move you leg for 8 hours afterwards then you have this big bruise there forever!

anyways I have had most of my MRI's and CT's with contrast it doesnt do anything to me one time i threw up after it but I was also heavilly medicated

Marti
28th October 2004, 12:03 AM
i had a CT scan of my head when I had a headache that wouldn't go away. It was just a regular CT scan though.

Jonny
28th October 2004, 01:26 AM
Sorry Kayla, was just comparing the two, not explaining :oops: thankfully I don't need one.

Kayla
28th October 2004, 03:55 AM
oh ok then well I apoligize hehe sorry I am glad you don't need one!

lynns
6th November 2004, 11:49 PM
ok guys i have had now 2 p t treatments and i will tell yoo it hurts soooooooo
bad. its ok all together except the neck exercises,and when they rest my head back from a tilt position to straight again. man it feels like i knife is cutting me.
i had my ct scan and the myleogram yesterday and it was ok except the severe headache that they said will go away in two to four days. to day has been hard my right side where they did the procedure feels like i have a golf ball in my neck, and like usall my rightside hurts and i wish it was connected with velcro so i could detach it. :nut: so the bottom line is i made it thru and i pick the results up tomorrow. boy im just DYING to see the results. the only thing the doctor told me was that there was alot of damage. so i dont know what he means untill tomorrow. so ill post the results tomorrow. also another question was anyone else so completely drained of energy from this proxcedure? i feel like i have had my body ran over a couple of times by a simi truck :cry: well i hope your all doing great and will keep you all posted

BarmyArmy
7th November 2004, 12:01 AM
Awww Lynn :squeeze:

titch
7th November 2004, 12:34 AM
I was completely knocked out by the first MRI I had, because it took over an hour lying on my back, which was just indescribably painful at the time due to a degenerated lumbar disc. So it's probably not surprising if this has worn you down too - hopefully give it a couple of days and you'll be feeling a lot better, if nothing else just the headache settling is likely to make you feel a lot better.

Hope the results are useful ones! :hug:

jfkimberly
7th November 2004, 09:04 AM
I had a chest CT three weeks ago when I was at my appointment in Texas, and they asked me to put my arms over my head and hold my breath while they did the scans. There are two problems with that:

1. My right arm doesn't go above about 80, so I can't possibly put it over my head. The technician said to do the best I could, and I didn't think it would be a problem, until the bed was moved into position in the ring and it pushed my arm up painfully.

2. I have severely reduced lung capacity, so holding my breath for the ten seconds, or so, for each scan was hard. Painfully hard. Three scans left me feeling a bit lightheaded.

lynns
8th November 2004, 08:00 PM
well guys, im really at my limits of what more i can take. so i let you no the results and then i guess will go from there.
c4-5 c5-6 are now herniated with protrusion, and 2mm thickness.
c-6-7 is where im suppose to have surgery and it says the herniation measures 6mm in dimension with base of 12mm. it extends halfway up to c6 vertebral body and all the way down along c7 vertebral body terminating just before c7-t1.
they also found a 14mm lymph node in the internal jugular chain to the left in the neck at the epiglottis level.
they is a marked impression at the c6-7 level.
and last but not least they state on the paper that due to the myelyogram it caused pneumocephalus( which what i read is air in the brain or ventricles)

now i cant take any more and am now asking what i did wrong to get all this at my age. the dr. who did all this last friday said he would like to do another myelogram as soon as possible. now why should i if you have cause air in my brain and ventricles? also he said we are going to have to test the nodule and do something about the air, but need another myleogram. some one who has any insight on all this please tell me what to do and if what they did is normal and if the readings im finding on the air in ventricles is as bad as im reading.

andrea
11th November 2004, 07:08 PM
Hi Lynns

Sorry not to have replied before - I don't remember seeing your post before now! I'm so sorry you got bad news. To be honest, it's all a bit double-dutch to me and I can't help with your confusion over whether to have another test done. I don't think any of us did anything wrong to deserve what we have to live with. Sometimes I get fed up with people telling me that it could be much worse. I know it could, but it could also be much better and thinking about people worse off than Erin doesn't help in my feelings for her.

Sorry to go off topic a bit. I wanted to reply to your post, but not with any words of wisdom I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else can help.

Take care
Andrea

titch
11th November 2004, 10:43 PM
Hiya, sorry I didn't reply to this earlier either - it was one of those that happened while I was at work and found time to read, but hardly to post. I wish I knew what to say with regard to the findings, but I think at this stage it sounds like they need to complete the tests in order to know what they're dealing with.

I really don't know anything about air in the ventricles, and I've not had time to do any research into it, but what I would say is that often what you find on the web, even from very reputable sites, is pretty worst-case scenario stuff. I made the mistake a while back of reading a little on atrial fibrillation, as it's something I've suffered since childhood, and it was really scary - I decided not to bother reading any more, and not to worry about it, reasoning that I've had it for at least 25 years without it killing me, and my brother, father and both uncles all had/have it as a lifelong thing. It's never done more to any of us than irritate us, which is not them impression you get from the various sites at all. Hopefully the pneumocephalus will fall into a similar category.

Has the doctor given you a time/date yet for the next round of tests? :hug: :squeeze: