PDA

View Full Version : an update on moi.....

Abbi
26th October 2004, 05:07 PM
Hey guys, well....here is a wee update for y'all....just about moi and my surgery....!
My mum called up the spinal nurse today (she has been trying to get thru for ageeeesss!) and well she asked like being realistic, how long would I have to wait for surgery...and she said, at the moment I am number 18 on the waiting list (there is currently 26 or something) and It won't be before July (so the min. I would wait is 9mths!) and the max. is November 2005. She said to go and apply for university and if surgery arises during uni, they will do it when its convient for me! which is good! I am a little happier...I just kinna wish it could be July or August 2005, just to get it outta the way! A guy came in with a 100 degree curve so he is further up the list than me...which makes sense!
I have to go for tests at Easter (March/April) tests such as Lung function tests, breathing tests, xrays etc.
She said my curve shouldnt go up to much between now and then....so I should be ok!
Well yeah thats it....im a lil happier knowing all of that! :-)

jfkimberly
26th October 2004, 05:29 PM
Woo! You don't have to put your life on hold while waiting for this! I hope you move up the list quickly so you can take advantage of the summer break and have your surgery then. Good luck, Abbi.

tonibunny
26th October 2004, 05:39 PM
Good luck Abbi :) I had my second set of surgeries during my first year at uni.....I had to miss the second semester, and ended up having to retake the first year, so I would strongly advise you get this done during the summer vacation if you get the choice.

Kaja
26th October 2004, 05:47 PM
Whoa! The surgery list for scoliosis is not like that up here. Wow. 26 on the list?? Yay for Norways few inhabitants :D
Anyways, good luck Abbi! :D

Blair
26th October 2004, 06:20 PM
I'm glad you finally have at least an idea of when you're getting your surgery!

lindzi_11
26th October 2004, 06:26 PM
I wish you the BESTEST MOST BESTEST LUCK EVER! X0X0X! :niceone:

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
26th October 2004, 07:01 PM
At least you have some idea when surgery will happen -
I wish you all the best, and your Mum.

Becky
26th October 2004, 07:08 PM
thats good that you can work around uni, i do my second accounting exam in june, but i SHOULD have my op before then, so i dont think ill be able to do the exam depending on how close they are, if i have the op in march/april it shouldnt be that bad. ill just have a lot of catching up to do!

andrea
26th October 2004, 08:39 PM
That's really good Abbi, that you know where you are with everything. Let's hope it comes up sooner than you think and you can get in in the summer before you go off to Uni. Good to make plans for the future though isn't it?

Abbi
26th October 2004, 11:16 PM
thanx for all your 'good lucks' Kaja ~ I am actually 18th on the list not 26th....!
I am glad I have an idea, and can now make plans I hope to be able to have it done in the summer....like possibly August....if I got it done then, would I be ok to start uni at the start of oct?
Easter isnt that far away either, which is good, cos I will be getting more xrays, to see how I am getting on!
Lindz....I wish u all the luck for your upcoming surgery.....its soon isn't it?

BarmyArmy
27th October 2004, 12:09 AM
That's good news abbi, you must be pleased :squeeze:

Marti
27th October 2004, 01:49 AM
wait... i'm a bit confused here... so they put a guy with a 100 degree curve above you, but they won't put you above people with 40-50 degree curves?

it's great that you finally have some news! and although it's awful you're having to wait so long, at least you can continue to keep doing things and don't have to just wait.

Kayla
27th October 2004, 03:23 AM
Thats great that your life wont have to revolve around your surgery!

Abbi
27th October 2004, 12:54 PM
yeah it is great! I no it does seem werid that they put someone with a 100 degree curve above me....but yet I am below a person with 50 degree curve....maybe they are more at risk...or are in more pain i dunno! It would be sooo great if I was able to have it in August....would I recover by early Oct to go to uni tho?
I will just be glad to have all of this behind me!
What r they tests like....like the fliexibility spine tests and the lung function ones?

Liv
27th October 2004, 01:39 PM
It's good that you finally have some information about your surgery! :niceone: But I would count on at least 2 months for your recovery...

Abbi
27th October 2004, 05:21 PM
ok...cool! well they said that if i was at uni while they wanted to do surgery they could leave it until its good for me...Like early June 2006 which is agggggeeeees away!!!!

Liv
27th October 2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, try to have it in 2005... The spinal flexibility tests are just x-rays where you have to bend in every way if I'm not mistaking. For the lung function test you have to breathe through a mouth-piece (normal breathing, forced inspiration, forced expiration etc) for a couple of minutes.. Nothing bad!

BlueIce
27th October 2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Liv@Oct 27 2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, try to have it in 2005... The spinal flexibility tests are just x-rays where you have to bend in every way if I'm not mistaking.
yup, I had that. After seeing those, my doc knew he had to make a long fusion because it wasn't flexible enough. I just had to bend left and right, while standing against the wall

If you have it in August, I don't think you'll be ready for school in October. Of course this is different for everyone. I had my op the 28th of June and went back to school around September 20th. It still was hard and I find myself coming home with pain after school, so be sure to take it easy.

Becky
27th October 2004, 07:36 PM
I no it does seem werid that they put someone with a 100 degree curve above me....but yet I am below a person with 50 degree curve

The person with the 100 degree curve will probally be urgent or something, but if your curve doesnt urgently need operating on then they cant push you in front of ppl with less curves than you......put it this way, im having an op on (lets say 40ish degree curve because it may of increased within the year) if ppl with bigger curves than me was being put in front of me then id never get my op!

there will be ppl at your uni that will help you through it, and will make sure you dont fall behind. I have an assesor at college and she says she will bring me work to my home and will tutor me if i need it!

Marti
28th October 2004, 12:54 AM
I had my surgery July 9th and was able to return to school September 2 with very few problems. I got through the day fine, i was just more tired than usual by the end of the day and had to lie down right when I got home.

Jonny
28th October 2004, 01:22 AM
I had my surgery 6th and 13th of July and returned to school 6th of September but only just. I was in a small but significant amount of pain in school, got out of breath easily and had to lie down when I got home like Marti.

I still think I gave myself enough time to recover though :-)

Abbi
28th October 2004, 06:45 PM
Ideally I would like it to be in the summer...but well you cant have everything in life!
so two mths for recovery....wow thats long? Do any of you still have back pain after surgery?

tonibunny
28th October 2004, 07:12 PM
Ten years ago, I had my surgery in July (it was a big one - removal of old Harrington rod, fusion from T1 - L3, insertion of new Harrington and Zielke, costoplasty, the works....) and then, having missed the whole of the second semester of university because of waiting to have this operation, I tried to pass the year by taking exams during the uni's retake week in August for all the courses I'd missed. I passed all of them except for one bl**** classics module!!!! That retake week was one hell of a struggle. I could barely sit up for more than half an hour, and most of my exams were 3 hours long. I couldn't climb stairs very well so had to move rooms in hall, and as the exams were being held in the National Library of Wales I had to have go up to the exam hall in the goods lift.

Anyway, I had to retake the year just cos I failed the one classics module (*grrrr*) but I didn't have much to do for the first semester as I'd passed all the courses already, so I messed about taking extra music and classics and English lit, and took things easy. My university was built on the side of a hill and it was a real struggle getting around....I'd arrive at seminars completely puffed out, with the t-shirt under my brace wringing with sweat. I ended up chucking the brace before I should have done, cos it was just too uncomfortable to wear it!

I'd say things were back to normal by about Christmas. Remember, though, that this *was* ten years ago....people recover more quickly these days!!!

BlueIce
28th October 2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Oct 28 2004, 06:45 PM
Ideally I would like it to be in the summer...but well you cant have everything in life!
so two mths for recovery....wow thats long? Do any of you still have back pain after surgery?
I do. But I think I overdo myself sometimes, especially in school. I mean, I only take what I need with me, but it's still quite a lot and the chairs are horrible. It happens that I sit in them for two hours (no break) and that's just too much sometimes.

Kaja
28th October 2004, 09:31 PM
Well, I was back in school after one month, and I rarely have back pain. But never in school, since I got two sets of books the first year post op :D (one there and one home, no carrying) I also have my *own* comfy pc-chair, that the school provided for me straight away. I just demanded it, I'm sure you can too :roll: ;-)

BlueIce
28th October 2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Kaja@Oct 28 2004, 09:31 PM
Well, I was back in school after one month, and I rarely have back pain. But never in school, since I got two sets of books the first year post op :D (one there and one home, no carrying) I also have my *own* comfy pc-chair, that the school provided for me straight away. I just demanded it, I'm sure you can too :roll: ;-)
we are talking about a school that has toilets for handicapped people on the second floor, but no elevators... :nutter:
And if you'd want to go to another block, you'd have to go outside because you can only get to it by going up or downstairs which is pretty hard in a wheelchair
Plus I change classrooms almost every two hours so I'd have to take the chair with me. I have demanded my own parking spot right out front though :-)

Amazed Jean
29th October 2004, 12:41 AM
Blue Ice - stay after them to make you comfortable. If they have to drag a chair around for you they can do it..

Abbi
29th October 2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BlueIce@Oct 28 2004, 08:33 PM
we are talking about a school that has toilets for handicapped people on the second floor, but no elevators... :nutter:
And if you'd want to go to another block, you'd have to go outside because you can only get to it by going up or downstairs which is pretty hard in a wheelchair
Plus I change classrooms almost every two hours so I'd have to take the chair with me. I have demanded my own parking spot right out front though :-)
That is so rare like.....how r people who use wheelchairs suppose to get around? what school is this?
Blueice ~ you sed your chair? Are you a wheelchair user? :-?

Kaja
29th October 2004, 01:13 PM
No, she meant if she was to have a pc chair with wheels, like I do :D But the school system is different here, I never change classrooms, if I do it's only for an hour :P

Abbi
29th October 2004, 01:16 PM
oooh right....sorry blueice **eek**

BlueIce
29th October 2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Oct 29 2004, 12:55 PM
That is so rare like.....how r people who use wheelchairs suppose to get around? what school is this?
Blueice ~ you sed your chair? Are you a wheelchair user? :-?
no no, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I was explaining how it would be if I was.
And the upstairs toilets really don't make any sense. According to one of my teachers students asked about that last year and they replied: "but his/hers classmates can carry her upstairs with her chair" :roll:

Abbi
29th October 2004, 10:34 PM
Sorri again....aww man i feel so wick now

Marti
29th October 2004, 11:57 PM
that's terrible Leen! No elevators?! my school has two. My friends younger brother has spina bifida and he couldn't go to our normal elementary school becuase there's no elevator and there are three floors. but there are about 10 elementary schools in my town, so he just went to a different one instead... not too big of a deal.

Abbi, I had my surgery about 15 months ago and I rarely have any pain. When I do get any pain, it's not so much pain as feeling my rod. Like I can feel that that part of my spine is really stiff and that there's something there. and sometimes my ribs bother me a bit. But none of it's a big deal at all.