PDA

View Full Version : I'm back...with a bad back!

Phil
20th November 2008, 06:08 PM
Hi all, long time no see. Since having had my surgery for kyphosis in December 2005 I have lost a fair bit of correction and height of which was gained. Mainly because my spine above T4 fusion has continued to curve. Anyway, I've now got a fair bit of pain around my right shoulder blade area. I feel I need to see a chiropractor as it feels something needs popping back.
This is the first time since recovery I've had to take major pain killers.

Any advice or comments before I go and see a chiro. Really dont want to but feel it will relieve the pain.

Anyway, hope you're all well and liking the new site :)

Simon
20th November 2008, 06:21 PM
Hey phil welcome back

Sorry for the circumstances that have brought you back All i can suggest is that go back to your gp and get a referral back to your surgeon and see what he/she says .
It sound like to me muscle related but get yourself checked out as losing the correction and height it sounds as there is something up whether muscle weakness or other problems .

GillyG
20th November 2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Phil, I joined just about the time you 'disappeared' so didn't really get chance to know you!

I'd be very wary of going to a chiropractor with a fused spine if I were you. They use such extreme force that I'd be worried about the junctions between fused and mobile levels. I agree with Simon that a wiser approach would be to get a re-referral to your surgeon and take his advice.

Sorry for the circumstances of your return but pleased to 'meet' you at last :D

Phil
20th November 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Simon. I've seen my surgeon reference loss of height and correction etc on a few occasions. As with many kyphosis corrections it does happen, at the moment it does not pay to have further surgery although the option is there.

I'm pretty sure this feels more like a skeletol problem as normally my tramadol gets rid of muscular pain let alone the oxynorm I've just taken which still has not. It could be nerve I guess.

titch
20th November 2008, 10:08 PM
I'm really glad to see you again, Phil, but sorry about the circumstances :(

I'd honestly be very wary of a chiropractor - 2c did his back in good and proper a few months back (it's happened before, but this was the worst instance by a long way), and has been seeing a chiro. The only reason that he did was because of who recommended the clinic, and actually his chiro is lovely. She very nearly didn't treat him, came within a whisker of sending him to casualty in fact because she was concerned that it was a herniated disk - thankfully it wasn't, or at least that was not the main cause of the scary symptoms. Anyway, he chatted about me - because she was curious how he knew odd medical things about the back! - and she offered to see me for a prelim appointment for free.

I've had that appointment, and she's lovely. I'm hoping once 2c is not seeing her more than once every 3 months or so to find the money to go myself. She was very clear though on the fact that while she feels sure that she can help with some of my pain, particularly the neck pain, she will not be cracking anything, neck included. She did however say that they have a piece of equipment (the name of which eludes me unfortunately) which allows adjustments of the neck without any excessive extension or cracking. Basically, I would run a mile from any chiro who wanted to do any kind of manual correction, cracking, or remotely forceful manipulation anywhere near the fusion. With what you are describing in terms of where the pain is and where it feels bad, I would be very wary.

That said, it is possible that a non-cracky manipulation could help. Sam (2c's chiro) does all sorts of stuff including acupuncture, and a lot of what she does is soft tissue based, as she is also a fully trained sports therapist. She also does massage, by the sounds of it the rather vicious Swedish style. So it is certainly possible that you can find one that can help with it, just perhaps not in the traditional chiro sense.

Painkiller wise, it could be worth going and buying some good old fashioned Syndol - they're not going to touch it on their own, but paracetamol potentiates the effect of other painkillers, the codeine in them is a fairly low dose so should not interfere with taking your tramadol or oxynorm (just don't do it too often, and do double check with a pharmacist if you have any concerns) and importantly it has a muscle relaxant in it, which is what may really help. Speaking of muscle relaxants, a good stiff gin and tonic can work wonders (just make sure the tonic has quinine in it, Schweppes does) :glee:

There's a pain I get periodically which seems to originate from near the top of my fusion (mine starts at T3), which can be totally excruciating. It wraps round under my right shoulderblade, and drills through my right lung, and literally puts me on the edge of panic because of how screamingly *wrong* the pain is, and once it is set off nothing seems to touch it. About the only things that work are 2c attacking the area with his truly vicious thumbs, which seems to overload the area so that my brain shuts it off in self defence, or a large dose of painkillers and a long, hot shower, then a lie down and preferrably a nap as then there is some chance of it all relaxing a bit. I'm pretty sure it's a nerve pain, but not at all sure what causes it, although I suspect it has something to do with the level at which I have 2 hooks (I've read that they try to avoid having 2 hooks on any upper thoracic level because there is some risk of hardware stenosis, although it could just as easily be something different that causes it for me.)

Sorry for such a long reply and not really anything useful to offer. I really hope the pain settles soon :squeeze: On a totally different subject, just before I sign off, check out the meet up thread for the south in the common room, and see if you'd be able to make it - Hyde Park on 30th :)

MOB
20th November 2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Phil, welcome back! sorry to hear that you are having more probs with your back i would be a bit wary of going to a chiropractor he might do more harm.

Louisse
20th November 2008, 11:30 PM
Hi Phil
just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the site
I'm relatively new and had my surgery 11 weeks ago.
Cheers for now
Louisse

BeckyH
20th November 2008, 11:57 PM
phil please be careful with chiros! that's all i say, titch has come up with loads of better stuff than i could. although i'm intrigued as to why quinine is important?

Amazed Jean
21st November 2008, 05:34 AM
Beejeebers! If Phil is back at SSO it must be Christmas! Welcome back! Of course I am sorry about the pain and the progressing of your curve. Please be extra careful and at least call your surgeon. We've missed you.

titch
21st November 2008, 08:43 AM
although i'm intrigued as to why quinine is important?

Well, among other things it is an anti-malarial agent, which although superceded by more powerful modern ones is still used in some critical situations..... more importantly in this instance, however, is the fact that it is an effective muscle relaxant :)

Phil
21st November 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. Good to see the new site up and running. Intend to hang around on the site a bit as feeling a bit low.

Have a good weekend all.

GillyG
21st November 2008, 05:43 PM
Hey Phil, I was just wondering whereabouts you live as we have a couple of meet-ups planned, one in London (I think that might be next Sunday) and one in Leeds - tomorrow!! It would be great to meet you and I'm sure we could cheer you up :D