PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's surgery date is December 2, 2008

Mattie1095
11th November 2008, 01:10 AM
Hi - My daughter is 20 and will have surgery on Dec 2 to correct her kyphosis. She has scoliosis and kyphosis, but most of the treatment conversation from the surgeon centers around correcting the kyphosis. She is in constant pain now, with an 83 degree curve.

I'm new here, and I've read a lot of the previous threads since I'm looking for information on how best to care for her during her recovery. What types of things did you guys do that offered relief?

I saw someone mentioned the tempurpaedic space foam layer on top of their bed and I'll look into that. She is a back sleeper. Also, is it difficult to shower once you come home from the hospital? Someone mentioned a chair in the shower. Any tips you learned that helped you during your recovery will be greatly appreciated.

Right now, I'm just a frightened mom, waiting for the surgery and hoping for great results for her. Thank you in advance - I'm very inspired reading your threads. I'm glad to have found this site.

Chad25
11th November 2008, 07:17 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I'm a 26 yr old male that had surgery for kyphosis at the end of September. My curve measured between 88 and 93 degrees depending on the doctor that measured it. like you, i didn't have a clue what to look forward to with the surgery. I was in the hospital from Monday til Friday and was definitely ready to get out of there. One of the recommendations I can give is to always have someone with your daughter while she's awake (7 am - 11 pm?). Even though the nurses are there, it's really nice to have someone there to do the little things for you. I thought I'd be bored in the hospital and want books and things to do, but besides having an ipod to listen to, you really don't have time for or feel like doing anything. I wasn't really in the mood for visitors and don't really remember any conversations I had with people that week. The BIGGEST recommendation I can give is to be completely honest about your pain level. I always told them my pain was a 5 out of 10, not knowing that a 6 would've given me more medication that I needed. You can't really prepare yourself for the pain, but it's just something you have to get through.

Once your daughter gets home, she'll start feeling a lot better. I was able to walk a couple miles just 2 weeks after my surgery. I'm sure you have comfortable chairs/couches/beds she'll be able to use. I found myself always switching from one to the other throughout the day. Another thing I would recommend is to have a fan that you can move around (even though it's December). The pain medication raises your body temperature quickly and it's nice to have a fan to help cool down. I had no problems with the shower even when I first got home, but I needed someone to help dry me off. The nurses mentioned getting a chair for the shower but I didn't find that necessary.

I'm 6 weeks post-op and besides minor pain and not being able to bend a lot or carry a lot of weight, I feel normal. I had a lot of pain with my kyphosis and I'm really confident that the surgery will reduce the pain significantly. It's amazing how fast your body heals, especially at a young age.

It sounds like your daughter is going through almost the same surgery I did, so if you have more specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Good luck with everything.

Chad

Amazed Jean
11th November 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello and Welcome to SSO! It sounds as if Chad has you covered. Nothing like someone who has been there to help out. I want to encourage you as a parent. Hang in there. You are doing great so far. Try to stay sane and please take some much needed breaks so you stay sane. Hugs!

Di B
11th November 2008, 11:35 PM
Hi my son is 20 too ,he had surgery october 14 and is doing great .I really feel good pain mangement is the top one ,we lowered meds too soon and it took ages to get back on top of it all .He has hoisting in the bathroom so cannot comment on that bit ,he did thou go in the hydro pool 2 weks post surgery which he loved ,I work in a special school so he gets in every week as we hire it .He has a tempur mattress so he has no problems there ,hope it goes well can I share anything else with you ? Di

Mattie1095
12th November 2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you Chad for your response - I'm sending this to my daughter. I'm glad your surgery went well and your recovery sounds extraordinary. I hope you do have pain relief from your surgery. I am grateful that you took the time to respond, and in such great detail. Your post really gave me a boost!

Take care and I hope you continue to heal quickly. I wish you well and much happiness in the future.
Brenda

Mattie1095
12th November 2008, 02:39 AM
Thank you Jean and Di - I'm so glad to get your responses. Your posts have helped me feel more relaxed about what is coming. I have sent these to my daughter. I'm glad your son is doing well Di.

The kind words from you both will help me prepare to be strong for her. :) Brenda

Chad25
12th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Hi Brenda,

I'm glad I could help. No two situations are ever exactly alike with spinal surgery but hopefully your daughter has the same success that I've had so far.

Two things I forgot to mention in my post. My parents or girlfriend made all meals for me for at least the first couple weeks. I'm not sure I could've done that on my own.

Also, I was taking medication every four hours, even at night, for the first few weeks so my mom would sometimes help me out with that in the middle of the night.

Just a couple more things to keep in mind.

Chad

GillyG
12th November 2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Mattie :welcome:

I'm glad you're finding the site helpful. My surgery was for scoliosis rather than kyphosis, and my recovery was a bit slower than Chad's, but then again, I was 49 when I had my surgery :p

Sending best wishes and positive vibes to your daughter :gvibes: