PDA

View Full Version : pectus excavatum / pectus carinatum questions

bvb108
7th November 2008, 04:25 AM
Hi all,

For anyone who hasn't heard of these two conditions, here's a link describing it http://www.pectusdeformity.com/

I am 3 weeks post-op for kyphosis, and I have pectus carinatum (my chest sticks out). I was wondering how common pectus excavatum or pectus carinatum was with patients diagnosed with kyphosis? My little brother has a mild case of scoliosis and pectus excavatum.

Has anybody ever had surgery to correct either of these conditions? Since my surgery, I have been unable to sneeze and I become very winded when I go up stairs. My chest seems to stick out even further since my surgery, and I am curious if it's impacting my breathing. I am unsure if my body needs time to adjust to my new posture, or if the surgery caused a problem.

When I was in the hospital, I had a panic attack and couldn't breathe, I ended up having a CAT scan, echo of my heart, and blood work done. Everything came back normal (except for a heart murmur), but after reading more about pectus carinatum, I think I may have a problem which will require another surgery to fix. I am planning on contacting my doctor tomorrow to find out, but was hoping somebody had experienced this before?

madmclw
7th November 2008, 08:25 AM
I think we have a few members with Pectus Excavatum. Person who comes straight to mind is Lyssie, who I think has had surgery for her scoliosis as well as the pectus. I'm sure she'll be along soon and she'll be able to help you a bit more :)

alyssa
7th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Hey there, Maddy's right, I had surgery for both. I am a girl and had scoliosis and pectus excavatum, both for which I had surgery. With you having carinatum, you will probably require a Ravitch technique which I had, where they remove the affected cartilage and bone.

Although you can have the Nuss procedure for excavatum too, which is a much less invasive procedure.
My thoracic surgeon said that there's a test they do to see if you have heart problems if you have both scoliosis and pectus but mine was just coincidence. I think it's Marfans syndrome they test for but I came out all clear. I was also having palpitations but this was due to medication I found out recently. But they gave me an echocardiogram and my heart had been pushed away to the left because of the condition.

Surgery went well, took 3.5 hours and a few hours in recovery. I was given morphine through the PCA and I spent 4 days in hospital.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Gilly has PEx too, I hope you don't mind me saying that Gilly. Love you lol.

Take care Brad, Lyssie!

jennyyy92
7th November 2008, 03:00 PM
I have pectus excavatum, but I haven't had surgery on it and I doubt I will really, mine doesn't cause me any problems. Not at the moment anyway :)
x

bvb108
7th November 2008, 04:12 PM
Hey there, Maddy's right, I had surgery for both. I am a girl and had scoliosis and pectus excavatum, both for which I had surgery. With you having carinatum, you will probably require a Ravitch technique which I had, where they remove the affected cartilage and bone.

Although you can have the Nuss procedure for excavatum too, which is a much less invasive procedure.
My thoracic surgeon said that there's a test they do to see if you have heart problems if you have both scoliosis and pectus but mine was just coincidence. I think it's Marfans syndrome they test for but I came out all clear. I was also having palpitations but this was due to medication I found out recently. But they gave me an echocardiogram and my heart had been pushed away to the left because of the condition.

Surgery went well, took 3.5 hours and a few hours in recovery. I was given morphine through the PCA and I spent 4 days in hospital.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Gilly has PEx too, I hope you don't mind me saying that Gilly. Love you lol.

Take care Brad, Lyssie!

Thank you Lyssie, that is a lot of information for me to research. Did you have the scoliosis and pex surgery done at the same time? Also, did the same surgeon do both procedures? Sounds like another painful surgery :woe:

alyssa
7th November 2008, 06:19 PM
No... I had the pectus done in January of this year and the scoliosis done in 2006. The scoliosis was done by a spinal surgeon and pectus by a thoracic surgeon. It was quite painful but worth it.

GillyG
7th November 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Brad,

Yes, Lyssie's quite right, I also have Pectus Excavatum (sunken chest) as well as scoliosis. Although I didn't even realise the condition had a name till I came on here :p I have had surgery for my scoliosis but not the pectus deformity, I think i'm a bit too old to be worried about that now :)

RobertSWE
8th November 2008, 05:33 PM
I actually have some mild Pectus carinatum, nothing that bothers me really much, alot can be hided ( atleast in my case ) by training my chest on the gym ;)

IŽll try to edit: in some pictures when i got time :P

found some pics
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/981/brstetwo2.jpg
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/618/brstetindragenmagexv9.jpg

its slighty less visible atm, due workout.