PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractic and Scoliosis

crkcallie
31st October 2008, 12:52 AM
Who here does or has done chiropractic and has/has had success? I do chiropractic along with my scoliosis yoga stretches and I can't tell you how great I feel after an adjustment.

BackAche
31st October 2008, 11:38 AM
I've seen a chiro for pain management. My neck, like most folks with scoliosis, is straight and therefore the discs can prematurely degenerate. I did several months of traction and adjustments and now feel great - no more stabbing pain between my shoulder blades. However it was a lot of work to find a good chiro - I went through 4 before finding one that worked for me.
I also started taking my daughter. She finds the hydrotherapy bed and a few minor adjustments helps work the kinks out of her tired back. She currently wears a back brace 22 hours/day.

Lucy7
31st October 2008, 03:14 PM
I used to see an osteopath twice a month when I lived in the UK. He was amazingly good at helping me with pain management and keeping me flexible. I have tried both Chiros and Osteopaths here in the USA and i will never go back as they were too severe and I ended up in much more pain....a real nightmare. One even re-injured a disk...!!! I would always recommend osteopaths that have trained at the London School of Osteopathy as they are leagues ahead of any other osteopaths. I believe they have a list if you write to them of all their graduates around the world. Anyway, for my 2 pence worth I reckon chiro's can be way too severe. Please be careful.

Little Ali
31st October 2008, 03:57 PM
Personally, I'm always wary of anyone who says that can'adjust' or re-align a spine with scoliosis! I'd be very careful and anyone with a fusion shouldn't let anyone try!!!

It's great if it's working for you though and I'm very happy for you! :D

Lucy7
31st October 2008, 04:34 PM
I agree. I only saw an osteopath for pain management but I never expected (nor was it claimed) that my scoliosis could be "cured". If any therapist ever claims that kind of thing then they should be avoided .....there are too many quacks out there preying on people like us. The only way to rectify a curve if surgery.

bluestone
2nd November 2008, 08:08 PM
My GP has always told me to stay away from osteopaths as they can sometimes do more damage than good.
When I was younger and didnt really understand fully about scoliosis I visited an osteopath a couple of times.I did feel much lighter and not so tight when I had treatment but he just claimed to have released some fluid which he said had settled on my back.I only felt good for about 2 weeks so it wasnt worth the expense as its so temperory.

Little Ali
3rd November 2008, 12:44 AM
I only felt good for about 2 weeks so it wasnt worth the expense as its so temperory.
That depends of course on how much you can afford and how much the pain bothers you. Sometimes temporary relief is very welcome in my experience!:D

jennie
3rd November 2008, 05:50 PM
Emily has seen an osteopath all of her life and in many ways we wouldn't have the wonderful girl we have now with out him, as all of the professionals at the childrens hospital thought there was nothing to be done, or worth doing when she was born. He has over the years treated her for free, for 50p etc. In the months before her op he kept the pain tolerable, always kept Em in control of what he was doing, and he never suggested he could cure it. He kept an eye on her brace as well , when she was beginning to grow out of it etc, and wanted her to have the op as soon as possible...Here in Brighton I have heard of many osteopaths who charge much less for severe patients and who will work out a payment that people can afford..
all the best
jennie