PDA

View Full Version : Poll suggestions

titch
23rd October 2004, 01:16 PM
You may have noticed there is a poll section on the front page of the site, and the poll hadn't changed for a while. I've just updated it with another new poll, but again it's one that only applies to people who have had surgery. I'm sure there must be lots of scoliosis related things we could run polls on though, so, if any of you have suggestions for future polls we could run, add them here :-)

Becky
23rd October 2004, 01:44 PM
thats a good poll titch, i was wandering how many ppl grew after surgery, i hope i grow but i dont think it will b a lot becuse my curves not that big!

butterflylr
25th October 2004, 01:41 AM
How about some polls for those of us who haven't had surgery yet?

Kayla
25th October 2004, 03:14 AM
What about what kind of brace we have had or if we have had bracing

Marti
25th October 2004, 04:47 AM
Or maybe one on what type of treatment... just a general one... and it could have something on the siz of our curves too... I'm not making any sense...

Amazed Jean
25th October 2004, 05:29 AM
Do some less serious polls that we can all do. Stuff like what part of having scoliosis drives you crazy? What scares the heck out of you? What would you like to ask a doctor but feel stupid asking?

jfkimberly
25th October 2004, 06:29 AM
Those are more open-ended questions, though (great topic ideas!). The polls need to be something where a list of possible answers will suit most of the people polled.

titch
25th October 2004, 10:03 AM
It would certainly be easy enough to do say, "If you wore a brace before surgery (or have never had surgery but wore a brace), what kind was it", and "If you wore a brace after surgery, what kind was it" (and I think I can set it to allow you to vote in more than one category, which would make sense for these as often people do wear more than one kind of brace over the time that they are braced).

I could also come up with one on what sort of treatment have you had, with possible answers like none, observation only, bracing only, bracing plus surgery, surgery only, chiropractic, schroth or other posture therapy, chiropractic plus surgery, chiropractic plus bracing, chiropractic plus bracing plus surgery and so on.

A simpler curve size vs treatment poll could also be done quite easily. To do a poll such as what part of having scoliosis drives you crazy, we'd need a list of things about it for people to choose between - some could include pain, uneven waist and so on - it's kind of harder though, because there are so many things that to shorten it to a list isn't easy. It's a good idea though if we can come up with a good list.

Amazed Jean
25th October 2004, 06:04 PM
OK At least we can think about it a bit.

nutmeg
7th April 2005, 03:45 AM
It's nice to have a new poll at last, especially one that those of us who have never had treatment can join in. I like the way you have split it into the different types of scoliosis too.

Here's another suggestion - birthweights (I'm happy to provide conversions to pounds and ounces for those who don't use the metric system)

titch
7th April 2005, 01:00 PM
Now that's a good one as well :-)

I've been feeling a bit guilty over the fact that the last couple haven't been any use for people who haven't had surgery, so this one Jonny has set up is perfect, not to mention potentially very interesting. It's a fairly small sample, but it will be interesting to see if it diverges from larger studies or not :D

I guess a birthweight one should also be mapped against types of scoliosis, as it could differ somewhat between different classifications. Perhaps another one that could be interesting now that I think about it would be smoking during pregnancy.

Any more ideas anyone?

sins
7th April 2005, 02:15 PM
I think maybe a poll on Brace compliance? How many of us actually wore it for the prescribed time?

Jonny
7th April 2005, 07:27 PM
If we're doing birthweight, we could also consider BMI mapped against types of scoliosis (with a link to a BMI calculator of course!)

jfkimberly
7th April 2005, 08:47 PM
Okay, Jonny. That's triggered some thoughts...

BMI is difficult to calculate correctly for some of us, I think, because of our artificially shortened stature with the height missing from the torso. I could see an argument for using armspan height rather than actual height (a difference of 5 inches in my case!)... or maybe splitting the difference? I've used my actual height to date, and even by that, my BMI is in the "underweight" category. What do you all think?

Jonny
7th April 2005, 09:56 PM
Good idea.

Actually, my armspan is 6'1" and I've lost virtually no height from curves... but does armspan work for everyone else? If it does, we'll say armspan-BMI.

jfkimberly
8th April 2005, 06:05 AM
Well, there is a form of dwarfism that causes shortened limbs, and I think scoliosis is as likely to occur in those patients, too... armspan wouldn't be of much use in determining "real" height for people with the condition. But I think it's rare enough that it won't be a problem for our poll.

nutmeg
12th April 2005, 04:09 AM
The other problem with BMI is that the values mean diifferent things for children and adolescents to adults. As children mature the bones become denser, and fuse together (or something like that), which I think means that the skeleton of an adult is proportionately heavier than that of a child. In some bones this process is often not complete until a person is in their early twenties (They worked out how old Tutankhamen was when he died because his thigh bones hadn't quite reached the adult form).

In other words a BMI of less than 20 might be considered underweight for someone in their twenties, but be normal for someone in their teens.

When I was 16 my BMI (I've just worked out) was around 18, even though I had been physically mature for at least 2 years and no one would have described me as skinny.

mark
13th April 2005, 12:55 PM
Anything Kyphosis related ?

titch
13th April 2005, 03:40 PM
Could do one something like:
Kyphosis only
Kyphosis with slight scoliosis
Kyphoscoliosis (strict diagnosis)
Scoliosis with kyphosis mentioned but no diagnosis
Scoliosis without kyphosis
Don't know

Possibly there should be some other options such as whether there is also hyperlordosis etc?

mark
13th April 2005, 03:42 PM
And maybe had surgery or haven't had surgery

Jonny
13th April 2005, 05:26 PM
All possible permutations of significant scoliosis, hyperkyphosis and hyperlordosis. I think most scoliotics have the others to some extent.

S, K, L, S+K, S+L, K+L, S+K+L

that's seven options.

We could say that 'significant' is when the curve is at least 15 degrees (maybe?) above the normal range.

How does that sound?

Jonny
3rd August 2005, 04:34 PM
:bump: We could do with a new poll and suggestions please!

mark
3rd August 2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by titch@Apr 13 2005, 01:40 PM
Could do one something like:
Kyphosis only
Kyphosis with slight scoliosis
Kyphoscoliosis (strict diagnosis)
Scoliosis with kyphosis mentioned but no diagnosis
Scoliosis without kyphosis
Don't know

Possibly there should be some other options such as whether there is also hyperlordosis etc?
Something along those lines with have you had surgery have you not had surgery

Jonny
3rd August 2005, 04:46 PM
That's what my suggestion was an extension of:

With surgery performed or planned:
Scoliosis
Kyphosis
Lordosis
Scoliosis and kyphosis
Scoliosis and lordosis
Scoliosis, kyphosis and lordosis
Kyphosis and lordosis

Surgery not performed or planned:
Scoliosis
Kyphosis
Lordosis
Scoliosis and kyphosis
Scoliosis and lordosis
Scoliosis, kyphosis and lordosis
Kyphosis and lordosis

mark
3rd August 2005, 04:51 PM
Something along those lines sound great Jonny

sweetkisses2351
5th August 2005, 03:34 PM
where is this poll about how much you grew from your surgery?? all i see is one about your mother's age or something... lol i'm confused.

<3 Annie

rosie
5th August 2005, 04:28 PM
Annie, the one about height was there a while ago, and the one about your mother&#39;s age has replaced it.
xxx