PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information

Seeking_help
17th October 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

Just looking for pictures of kyphosis in the 50-60 degree range. Xrays or actual photos would be excellent. My surgeon said he'd be able to bring it down to this range, so I want to have a realistic expectation of the outcome.

So please, if you have any pics, please post or PM me.

Thanks!

sally333
19th October 2008, 02:46 AM
Hi all,

Just looking for pictures of kyphosis in the 50-60 degree range. Xrays or actual photos would be excellent. My surgeon said he'd be able to bring it down to this range, so I want to have a realistic expectation of the outcome.

So please, if you have any pics, please post or PM me.

Thanks!

I do have my xray of the 53 degree curve, it used to be at 110 or a little higher. I can't get it on my computer as I have no meens to do it by.
I have a feeling your surgeon will be able to get you down to in the forties as they never really know for sure untill they get in there and do. The thing that is nice is it wont curve anymore once it is done.below and above maybe but not the area they did the surgery on.

Seeking_help
19th October 2008, 06:28 AM
I do have my xray of the 53 degree curve, it used to be at 110 or a little higher. I can't get it on my computer as I have no meens to do it by.
I have a feeling your surgeon will be able to get you down to in the forties as they never really know for sure untill they get in there and do. The thing that is nice is it wont curve anymore once it is done.below and above maybe but not the area they did the surgery on.

Can I ask you... at 53 degrees, does the curve still stick out? Do you feel comfortable now wearing t-shirts, close fitting clothing? I hope so :)

Seeking_help
19th October 2008, 06:36 AM
I admittedly feel sort of stupid and superficial for asking these questions. I know, there are much worse things in life to suffer and there will be a reduction if not elimination of pain.....but physical appearance is also a major factor to me...I feel a bit guilty for this. :(

I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to wear layers of clothing to be comfortable but I'm scared that day may not come.

Vicki
19th October 2008, 08:58 AM
I don't have the answer to your question I'm afraid, but don't feel guilty, I doubt there's any of us with visible scoliosis / kyphosis who aren't in some way, at least in part, motivated by aesthetics when choosing our course of treatment. I know my own intention to at some point get around to being referred to another consultant a bit closer to home is around 80% motivated by the fact that I intend to ask him if he can do anything to make me cosmetically better, (which my current consultant seems unwilling to entertain thinking about) and only 20% due to the convenience of the location!

Seeking_help
19th October 2008, 09:51 AM
I've heard or read somewhere that if the curve is less than 70 degrees then its essentially undetectable by people...is that true? Or am I on crack?

sally333
19th October 2008, 05:17 PM
Can I ask you... at 53 degrees, does the curve still stick out? Do you feel comfortable now wearing t-shirts, close fitting clothing? I hope so :)

Not a stupid question at all. At 53 degrees one can still see my curve but only on the xray itself. Of course my back is not perfect in a swim suit you can still see some but one can also see the scar so no one really say's anything. It is just not as perfect as others. The first thing I noticed after the surgery was how big my t-shirts were. I always had to buy them bigger to fit over the large hump in my back. The shirts I ware now can fit me just right and no one can tell at all. I could not see the hump anymore when I looked in the mirror. If I bent over in a shadow I could see how bad it was by the outline on the wall. Not anymore. This is what I was most pleased with I could now ware anything that I wanted.
There are so many gains with this surgery. It is painfull but if I had to do it all over again I wood as it it so so worth it. It is amazing what the surgeons can do to correct this. I had a ridged curve and am just so surprized at how they were able to make it straigt again. I will never understand but I will always be greatfull.

I also must say that the pain after the surgery is different then the pain before the surgery yes it hurts but not in the same way. I didn't have a whole lot of pain in the back area from the surgery it was there but I could handle it. It was the chest part of the surgery that was really painfull for me. That pain was the worst pain I have ever had and it lasted for several months. My pain though was because I had fluid around my lungs as my chest tube was taked out to early and this was not discovered right away. It was four weeks later that it was found. I also ripped out the inside stictches out of my chest area. These to things were very painfull and it made it so I could hardly breath. I had to go back by ambulance and stay another week in the hospital. So for me to go on with how painfull the surgery is is wrong as I had these problems and usually people will not. So I am hopeing that it will go a lot smother for you.
Good luck.

sally333
19th October 2008, 05:26 PM
I've heard or read somewhere that if the curve is less than 70 degrees then its essentially undetectable by people...is that true? Or am I on crack?
A curve of 70 degrees is detectable. A curve of fifty is not to detectable. A normall kyphosis curve is rated to be inbetween 20 and 40 degrees. Hope that answers your question. What is the size of your curve now?

sally333
19th October 2008, 05:33 PM
A curve of 70 degrees is detectable. A curve of fifty is not to detectable. A normall kyphosis curve is rated to be inbetween 20 and 40 degrees. Hope that answers your question. What is the size of your curve now?

My hardware from my first surgery is from T2 all the way to L2.

I was in a car accident and my T1 vertabra slipped sideways onto my T2 vertabra. This one vertabra created a 50 degree curve just at that area which is right at the base of my neck. To just have that curve in that one area one could really tell it was there as there was a huge curved bump there and it caused my head to turn towards the ground.

I guess it all depends ware your curve is located and how much of your back it has taken over. For my first surgery the kyphosis had taken over my whole thoracic area. It was a really large curve that covered most of my back and some.

Ware is your curve located? What is the degree of it?

Seeking_help
19th October 2008, 06:23 PM
Not a stupid question at all. At 53 degrees one can still see my curve but only on the xray itself. Of course my back is not perfect in a swim suit you can still see some but one can also see the scar so no one really say's anything. It is just not as perfect as others. The first thing I noticed after the surgery was how big my t-shirts were. I always had to buy them bigger to fit over the large hump in my back. The shirts I ware now can fit me just right and no one can tell at all. I could not see the hump anymore when I looked in the mirror. If I bent over in a shadow I could see how bad it was by the outline on the wall. Not anymore. This is what I was most pleased with I could now ware anything that I wanted.
There are so many gains with this surgery. It is painfull but if I had to do it all over again I wood as it it so so worth it. It is amazing what the surgeons can do to correct this. I had a ridged curve and am just so surprized at how they were able to make it straigt again. I will never understand but I will always be greatfull.

I also must say that the pain after the surgery is different then the pain before the surgery yes it hurts but not in the same way. I didn't have a whole lot of pain in the back area from the surgery it was there but I could handle it. It was the chest part of the surgery that was really painfull for me. That pain was the worst pain I have ever had and it lasted for several months. My pain though was because I had fluid around my lungs as my chest tube was taked out to early and this was not discovered right away. It was four weeks later that it was found. I also ripped out the inside stictches out of my chest area. These to things were very painfull and it made it so I could hardly breath. I had to go back by ambulance and stay another week in the hospital. So for me to go on with how painfull the surgery is is wrong as I had these problems and usually people will not. So I am hopeing that it will go a lot smother for you.
Good luck.

Thank you for that. My curve is roughly 90 degrees and located right in the middle of my thoracic spine. I have another thread showing the xrays

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/showthread.php?t=6632