Jonny
21st October 2004, 01:58 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/rodlumps.jpg
the top of my posterior scar, with the lumps made by the top of the two rods

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/rodlumpslateral.jpg
what's going on under there: from the side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/rodlumpsap.jpg
what's going on under there: from the front

The lumps are much bigger than they look. Now my brace is off they're really getting to be very sore, as if I lean against a wall, they are what hit the wall and nothing else. It's the back of the hooks at the top end, and to a lesser extent, the next hook down and the crosslink.

If I'm right, I can have my instrumentation altered six months after surgery, right?

Well, I'm going to ask for them to be removed. More surgery, but not on the same scale as before.

The SHO I saw at my last appointment said I could have them chopped off if they become sore.

You can see them quite clearly through clothing - so it's a cosmetic thing too.

Blair
21st October 2004, 03:56 AM
Wow... That doesn't look fun to me Jonny!
I hope that they can fix them for you quickly and it's not *too* big a surgery!

Amazed Jean
21st October 2004, 04:30 AM
Geez Jonny I'm amazed you can stand that pain. Is it constant? Can they fix it?
I'm sorry you hurt . Here's a hug.

Kaja
21st October 2004, 10:13 AM
:shock: Waah! If you feel like there's no other way out, and this really bugs you, you should certainly get them fixed! I think that looks creepy, but kind of cool.. :D

sins
21st October 2004, 11:07 AM
I would definitely have that fixed Jonny,especially if it's visible through clothing.I never imagined it was that bad :-o If surgery is what it takes then go for it..
Sins

titch
21st October 2004, 11:48 AM
I think getting rid of them is a good idea - I was lucky with what stuck out at the bottom of my original surgery, it just felt odd, and it never occurred to me that there was anything that could be done about it. But as they're getting sore it's definitely a good move.

Liv
21st October 2004, 07:01 PM
I don't know how long you have to wait till you can get it adjusted... When is your next follow-up appointment planned?

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 08:55 AM
It doesn't look that bad, compared to some of us... :roll: But it does look uncomfortable, and I can imagine how it feels when you lean against something. *cringe* So, yeah... for your comfort, I would recommend having it removed. But please PLEASE make sure your fusion is solid before you go having things removed in there.

Jonny
22nd October 2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys... your opinion reassures me about my decision. Liv, another two and a half months, and then it'll be almost 6 months since surgery.

Amazed Jean
22nd October 2004, 07:22 PM
Jonny What was that doctor thinking leaving that poking out ? Doesn't it hurt like crazy? It looks as though it was about to pop through your skin. If you bump your back there OUCH! Couldn't they cushion it somehow?

Marti
23rd October 2004, 12:31 AM
That looks really painful! I'd definitely get them chopped off if I were you. Would they remove the entire rods, or just chop off the top?

Joy
23rd October 2004, 01:32 AM
ooh that looks sore! Mine you can feel, but nothing like that. I would definetly get it removed if it is causing you pain!

jfkimberly
23rd October 2004, 03:49 AM
I wonder what the titanium rib will look like through my skin (if I get it)... I believe it goes outside the rib cage, so I expect it'll be prominent like that rod hump. But at least it'll be on the front, so I can lean back against things without pain. I'll look weird if I get it, won't I?

Amazed Jean
23rd October 2004, 05:06 AM
Kimberly You aren't really worried about looking a little weird are you? Not when the trade off is better lung function! Trust me I've looked very weird for a long time - I don't like living with it but its a fact of life. If it would give me better lung function I'd sign up to have green skin, purple hair, extra digits and the dreaded big feet!

jfkimberly
23rd October 2004, 07:03 AM
I already look a bit weird. I don't suppose the little rib thing would make that much worse. And you're right... even if it did look funny, any improvement to my lung function would make it worth it.

Vicki
23rd October 2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by amazed@Oct 23 2004, 03:06 AM
purple hair
Heeeey! What's wrong with purple hair? :P

.. I don't really have anything more constructive to say today. Haven't woken up yet. Although Jonny, if you're still underweight, it'd probably look much better as you put more weight on. I'd still go for it though, no point in living with it if it's gonna get to you.