PDA

View Full Version : More updates...

lindzi_11
20th October 2004, 10:20 PM
Okay i went to the Toronto Sick Children's hospital on Tuesday for an appointment for my upcomming sugoery. Wow it was a bad appointement!!!! Okay my top curve like sky rocketed within the last 2 months! It was 57 now its 70!!!! I was shocked outta my mind! And then like I have to give 2 units of blood. I've given one unit already and ahhhhhhhh i had blood tests! Its disturbing i hate looking at blood! It makes me sick! Then after that I got told stuff to expect about the sugeory. Eeeek i didn't wanna hear it! The docter has to decide whether he opens me from the back or the side... if he opens me from the side then like i'll have to have this device attached to me for a LONG time so my lung will continue working properly. Cuz the docters opening me from the side will cause negative pressure for the lung causing it to collapse! I hope they open me from the back though. They went through the WHOLE surgeory proceedure :woe: and god i didnt wanna hear it!

Now heres something that is confusing me: apparently your ribs sorta stay curved a bit. and theres a proceedure call Thoratic Plasty (something like that) Where they cut some of the rib to make it unnoticable. However i'll be braced for 6 months... but the brace isn't bad... its soft at the bottom and theres not much of that hard shell. Like i dunno if I should do this? Cuz I have to decide that morning of the sugeory..

butterflylr
20th October 2004, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear that!

It only makes me worry more about my back. I haven't been able to check on it in over 2 years! Last time I did though it had been about 2 years and it only progressed about 8 degrees. Still scary though. :woe:

I WISH I was getting surgery. Maybe all this worry would end! :-(

Crazy16girl
20th October 2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by lindzi_11@Oct 20 2004, 08:20 PM

Now heres something that is confusing me: apparently your ribs sorta stay curved a bit. and theres a proceedure call Thoratic Plasty (something like that) Where they cut some of the rib to make it unnoticable. However i'll be braced for 6 months... but the brace isn't bad... its soft at the bottom and theres not much of that hard shell. Like i dunno if I should do this? Cuz I have to decide that morning of the sugeory..
Im so sorry to hear about it all, but hey...you having surgery soon! so its all good.

I had one of my ribs removed i didnt get a choice, personaly if they do it from the side its best to have it done, you wont know the difference! I always had to wear a brace but it was upto my neck, had a soft bit on my tummy and boobs. But i was allowed to have it off after 3 months.

I know how horrible it is to hear about the "what if's" but we cant think like that, chin up! your be all good and new before you know it! :squeeze:

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:08 PM
Good to hear your surgery's soon! Unfortunate your curve's progressed, but they can do amazing correction these days.

Whether they do it side (anterior) or back (posterior) - anterior's definitely the easiest of the two in my experience because they don't have to go through too much muscle, and the fusion wouldn't need to be as long. Your side is painful afterwards, obviously, but your back will barely hurt after an anterior. You don't know anything about what they did to the lung - you just wake up and suddenly there's a dressing on your side. You can't tell it's been collapsed or anything :-)

The chest drain, which they have to put in after the anterior, is nothing to worry about. It's a bit sore when it's in, but it'll be in maximum 4 days and then they take it out.

A posterior (back incision) on the other hand is more painful, and takes a little longer to recover from.

Ultimately though, they'll do whatever operation that's best for your back.

A thoracoplasty is where they take a little section out of all the ribs that make up the rib hump, as though they shave the hump off. It's because just straightening the spine doesn't perfectly make the ribs flat again. I thought it was more painful than the two spine surgeries, but EVERYONE thinks it's worth it in the end, making your back SO much flatter. I didn't have a choice in the matter (they didn't tell me they were going to do one, and then they did it in the middle of the operation) but I suggest you have one and get it all over with. :-)

Do you have a date yet?

sins
20th October 2004, 11:17 PM
Hi Lindzi,
I was surprised to hear today how much the curve had progressed.it's still very correctible so don't worry too much as your surgery is so soon.
With a 70 degree curve I'd certainly have a thoracoplasty if I had the option.You're so pretty and it would be great to get rid of as much evidence of the scoliosis as possible.
Just think positively and try to just get the surgery over and done with.
Sins

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:30 PM
Jonny you may be able to help me.... when you said about the lung thing and the chest drain, is that for all anterior or just for bad scoliosis. because im having anterior, but my curve isnt as bad as lindzi's. i dont like the sound of them!

Becky x x

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:34 PM
Whenever they do an anterior surgery on any kind of curve they have to collapse the lung and put a chest drain in, but it's really not as bad as it sounds.

The chest drain is just a tube from your side into a pot on the floor, and it doesn't really hurt much while it's in, although it's nice once it's out.

With a posterior they don't need to use any kind of drain or anything, but I didn't find it as pleasant.

As I had both kinds, ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer! :-D

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:37 PM
do they put that wee thing in when your awake?

Crazy16girl
20th October 2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by licle_angel@Oct 20 2004, 09:37 PM
do they put that wee thing in when your awake?
No :-)

I had a chest drain too...i was told its the worse part of the whole thing...i guess it was in a way...its NOT painfull. Just uncomfortable.

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:42 PM
what goes through me is the thought of it getting caught on something and pulling!! :P

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:43 PM
Everything should go in when you're asleep - tubes, dressings, all that sort of stuff :-) they decided to put my catheter in after I came round, but I was too drugged up to care much.

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:44 PM
whats a catheter?

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:44 PM
Oh it won't get caught on anything - you probably won't feel like moving until after it's out, and it's pretty securely held by a stitch :-)

A catheter is a thin tube that goes into your bladder and stops you needing to use the loo while you're in bed. It drains the urine and you don't feel anything.

It feels a bit weird in there at the beginning, but it doesn't hurt.

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:47 PM
ahh so its the wee thingy!!! do you not feel like you need to hold it in because it must feel like your gunna wet yourself?

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:49 PM
no, not at all - you don't feel like you need to use the loo at all, because it goes down the tube as soon as it goes into the bladder and your bladder doesn't fill up.

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:49 PM
Everything should go in when you're asleep - tubes, dressings, all that sort of stuff they decided to put my catheter in after I came round, but I was too drugged up to care much.

so what about when they take it all out????

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:51 PM
They come out one by one - some things are uncomfortable, like taking the catheter and chest drain out, but in general they don't hurt when they come out. The lines in your hands and wrists will come out one by one too - they don't hurt either, and it's nice when they're gone.

Becky
20th October 2004, 11:52 PM
ahhhh! not them aswell! im gunna be all tubed up!! i think ill just stay completely still for the whole hospital stay!

Jonny
21st October 2004, 12:19 AM
To tell the truth you won't really feel like moving while the tubes are in, but the tubes are all out before you're walking, and the tubes didn't bother me.

Marti
21st October 2004, 12:35 AM
The tubes really aren't that bad! The chest tube isn't really painful, just a bit uncomfortable and pretty irritating. I didn't notice the catheter at all. I didn't feel anything when they took it out. I thought the chest tube was sort of painful coming out, but the pain stops the second it's out, and they pull it out very quickly. So there's only a few seconds of pain from that. I had the anterior surgery and I'm really glad I did. The scar is much less noticable and seems shorter, even though it probably isn't. Also, my back didn't hurt much at all. I mean, it hurt some, but most of my pain came from my side. Which was easier for me. I felt like I was actually in less pain when my side hurt a lot than when my back hurt. Also, about the tubes, by the time I woke up, all I had in me were the chest tube, the catheter, and two IVS-one in each hand.

lindzi_11
21st October 2004, 01:04 AM
How come some people get the rods inserted from the side and some people get them inserted from the back???

Marti
21st October 2004, 01:17 AM
It depends on many things... the size of your curve, where it is in your spine, as well as other things.

Amazed Jean
21st October 2004, 01:20 AM
How come some of us curve right and some curve left. Ya know it just does. Everything depends on what the doctor is hoping to accomplish and how the spine is bending and curving. No two spines alike -No two surgeries alike either.

lindzi_11
21st October 2004, 01:26 AM
Hmmm is one more risky than the other?

Amazed Jean
21st October 2004, 01:37 AM
Any surgery is risky including having your ear pierced. I don't really think you can classify one type or the other "more" safe. There are always risks. You have got to go with the professional opinion. Trust your surgeon to know what's best for you and understand that sometimes things change and they may change some of what they do in a surgery as they are doing it. You are young enough to be very resilient and you have to trust the professionals to do what they do everyday.

lindzi_11
21st October 2004, 01:39 AM
Yes i see ur point... everyday there are risks.

Jonny
21st October 2004, 01:40 AM
There are different risks with both, as with any operation, but NOTHING to worry about - they're very, very rare indeed. The worst thing that might happen is you lose the feeling on the front of your thigh like I did ;-)

In general I think, if people have a single curve (or only one curve is predicted to progress), and it's nice and flexible, then they often do an anterior fusion and rod (going in through the side) because it's easier for the patient. If people have two curves to be fused at the same time, then they do a posterior fusion (two rods on the back of the spine), and if the curves are particularly stiff or large then it's likely they'll do both posterior and anterior on the same curve or curves.

Sometimes if you're growing they'll do both, as well, and sometimes they do both but don't actually put a rod on the anterior, and then it's called an anterior release and posterior fusion. The anterior bit makes the curve flexible, and the posterior bit straightens it. Lots of people here had that - Jess, Joy, Jenn, Liv I think :roll:

Ultimately, though, the surgeon decides with each case what kind of operation to do, what kind of rods to use, and which vertebrae to fuse.

Is what I've said reasonably accurate? I'm only guessing based on the case examples I've seen here.