PDA

View Full Version : SOS clinic

doodii
14th September 2008, 10:22 PM
hello everyone..
i am a new member :)
first of all excuse my english :p
i am 22 years old i knew that i have scoliosis last week ..the curve 35 dgree ..i have a lower back pain from like 2 months ..my doctor said that i dont need a surgery but i just have to do some streching exercises and he will see me after 6 months to see if the curve got worse than it is ..but i dont want to be in a possion where i must say yes for the surgery !!

so i did some research and i found th SOS clinic in Woodbridge, Suffolk ..i like what i saw at their site but i need to know more about them i want to hear from who went there and do you recommend me to go there? my parents didnt like the idea but i really feel good about it..so what do you think?? should i wait untill the next examination after six months or i go to this clinic?

i really need ur help ..

Amazed Jean
14th September 2008, 10:55 PM
Hello and welcome to SSO. Don't worry about your English- I have a college degree in it and I still don't understand it! You communicate well in it - don't apologize! I have not had surgery or any other treatment. Which I do not reccomend. I do think a 35 degree curve is generally not thought of as being very bad. However if you are in pain you need to be very aware of what is happening. You also need to know that you are the only person who can make the right decision for yourself. Gather facts. Ask questions. Do research. Ask more questions. and see professionals that KNOW scoliosis! I reccommend keeping a notebook with you. You can write down questions as you think of them. You should also write answers in as you ask them. I guarantee you will forget some stuff. Try to get copies or make photos of your xrays. That is just so you have them whenever you need them. And since they will change you will need to refer to them in 6 months , 1 year etc. Have I given you enough input? Anytime you have something that you are curious about there are people here who can help. Once again, Welcome.

doodii
14th September 2008, 11:11 PM
that was helpfull thxxx alooot ..:)

sins
15th September 2008, 10:15 AM
35 degrees is too small a curve to consider surgery.If you're planning to travel from overseas then contact the clinic directly and discuss this with them.You could also consider the Schroth clinic in Germany directly.
Exercise based therpay is non invasive but it is expensive.
It might help with pain and posture, again you should discuss this with clinics directly and discuss your case with them and see if your expectations from treatment will be met.
Sins

doodii
15th September 2008, 04:38 PM
i sent emails for both of them and this is what the SOS said
"At 22, your scoliosis will never be more correctable. For every day you delay treatment, your scoliosis and symptoms are likely to worsen. This is because you are compounding incorrect posture. You can halt this inevitable progression by starting a ScolioGold treatment programme as soon as possible"

so i'll send my pix and x-rays to know exactly what am gonna do.

thx Sins :)

twizzlegirl
15th September 2008, 04:58 PM
i went to scoliosis sos about 1 1/2 years ago, and i had a very bad experience with the management.
it's a lot of money, and for me, it was not worth it, as my back didn't look any better after treatment. however, i know people that found that it did help with their pain and posture. i wasn't in pain before i went, so i can't really comment on this.
also, they ask you to do a minimum of 30 minutes exercises every day to keep the 'correction', which is very hard. of the 4 people that i kept in touch with from the clinic, none of them have managed to keep doing them.
i really don't want to start another argument, but felt that i have to share my experiences...
doodii, you're english is very good!
xxx

doodii
15th September 2008, 06:09 PM
am sorry to hear that ..i hope u got over that bad experience :(

I prefer the Schroth clinic in Germany because they have more experience on that method . but i am afraid that am gonna be on the waiting list for sooo long . anyone know's how long it would take??

btw thx twizzle girl i thought my english is bad :D

sins
15th September 2008, 06:48 PM
There's also a Schroth clinic in Barcelona as well.
If you feel more comfortable with a particular clinic then perhaps it's better to wait.As you are fully grown it's unlikely a 35 degree curve will get worse or if it does very slowly.Take your time and find what's best for you.Also the schroth clinics may have a list of schroth practitioners near you where you don't have to travel such a distance.
Sins

doodii
15th September 2008, 06:56 PM
i couldnt find an address for that Barcelona clinic ..

How i can get the list of schroth practitioners ??

mark
15th September 2008, 08:03 PM
Hi welcome to sso, i hope we can help you in any way possible

First of don't worry about your English it is far better than mine and i was born in England

Secondary, you need to find a place and treatment that you are comfortable with, never mind about waiting lists and recomendations, you are the primary importance an your welfare is the main concern

This in mind i would recommend you go with the clinic and treatment plan that you are most comfortable with

take care and once again welcome to our slightly wonky world

mark

doodii
16th September 2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you Mark :)

well thats the problem ! i dont know which clinic is the best ..

titch
16th September 2008, 01:49 PM
I can't make any judgement of which clinic is best, as I have no experience of any of them. What I can say for sure is that SOS is the only place offering ScolioGold, which is not exactly the same as Schroth therapy. It may be better, or it may not, however it has not been in existence long enough for there to be any clinical trials to show how effective it is, so it is impossible to compare the two forms of treatment. As you can tell from replies to you, for some people it is effective and for others it is not, and I am sure the same is true of Schroth and indeed any other physical therapy.

As Sins said, because you are fully grown and your curve is not terribly large you are unlikely to suffer any rapid progression (indeed clinical trials all show that because your curve is below 40 degrees and you are fully grown, it is fairly unlikely to progress at all even if you do nothing to treat it), and also you are unlikely to become less correctable just by waiting a few months or even a few years - if you wait until you are gone 30, perhaps there may be some difference, but there is no need to worry about a bit of delay at this stage given your age.

If you weigh things up and decide that you really want to go for ScolioGold, then obviously you need to go to the SOS clinic. If you just want a targetted system of exercise designed for treating scoliosis, then you can choose between clinics in Martlesham (http://www.scoliosissos.com/), Bad Sobernheim (http://www.skoliose.com/), Wisconsin (http://www.scoliosisrehab.com/index.php), Barcelona (I can't find a site for the clinic, but it's variously referred to as either the Quera Salva clinic or the Instituto Elena Salva, in any case you can find both the address and some possibly valid email addresses for Dr Rigo here (http://www.infodoctor.org/cgi-bin/eutils_examplespa.pl?query=Rigo,%20Manuel[fau])). There is also apparently a clinic in Israel and possibly one in Switzerland, although I've not found any details for these. They are referenced by Scoliosis Rehab Inc in Wisconsin though, so it is possible they could give you more details on how to contact them. In addition to this, there are individual trained praticioners including Isabel Grote (http://www.foxburgh.co.uk/), and it is possible that she may know of others closer to you, or that the Asklepios Klinik would be able to provide you with details of practicioners closer to you.

Hope this helps!

Simon
16th September 2008, 03:00 PM
i sent emails for both of them and this is what the SOS said
"At 22, your scoliosis will never be more correctable. For every day you delay treatment, your scoliosis and symptoms are likely to worsen. This is because you are compounding incorrect posture. You can halt this inevitable progression by starting a ScolioGold treatment programme as soon as possible"

so i'll send my pix and x-rays to know exactly what am gonna do.

thx Sins :)

I got exactly the same email back from them word for word apart from the 22 bit Ummm
Anyway whatever your choice i hope it all goes well for you

doodii
16th September 2008, 04:55 PM
Thaaaank you sooo much titch that was very helpful.. but thats what am worried about,i dont want to get worse when i am in my 30's or 40's so i want to work on myself from now to avoid bad things to happen. but anyways am gonna take my time to decide ..

*Simon: is ur condition similar to mine?

Simon
16th September 2008, 05:53 PM
I did have kyphosis just had spinal surgery to correct it from 98 degree curvre down to about 28 degree ..I dont really want to comment on sos clinic but please do your research before parting with your cash ....

Thats all i can really say on this subject but good luck

caro
16th September 2008, 07:18 PM
As you will have seen on previous threads I went to SOS this summer and it was brillinat for me. You do need to make an informed choice and I think the best suggestion is to actually go and have a consultation. I struggled to make contact with the place in Barcelona and also looked into Germany but found it difficult to pin them down on costs. In the end I wanted to get on with it & went to SOS. Schroth therapy is excellent (I htink) for those with our type of degree curve (mine is 30). So far I have managed to keep up my exercises although it has only been a month!

Lots of good advice on this thread - it is hard for you to know where to start but I agree you shouldn't waste time. I really wish I ahd been able to do Scroth 10 years ago!

doodii
16th September 2008, 08:12 PM
i will contact all of them and search more . do you have an address for the Barcelona clinic?? i emailed dr.rigo but he didnt answer me yet .

doodii
16th September 2008, 08:16 PM
ohh i just checked my email and i found a reply from him .

Thank you caro :)

Ausmum
17th September 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Doodii,

I'm fairly new here too and I am traveling from Australia to take my 15 year old son to the Scoliosis Rehab clinic in Wisconsin in a few days.

In case you might want to look into that clinic, I thought I could tell you of my experience so far which has been absolutely professional, kind and helpful.

The clinic asks for a doctor's referral and x-rays beforehand and supplies you with a contact list of past patients who are happy to share their experience with you. Some of these I emailed and others I spoke to directly on the phone.

So far the staff at the clinic have made me feel very confident in our decision to go to them.

All the best with your decision. :)

doodii
17th September 2008, 09:10 PM
Hii Ausmum,

Wisconsin is too far from where i live and also the American visa is sooo hard to get .. so i didnt think of this clinic alot ..but it seems a very good clinic ..until now i think am gonna choose either the SOS clinic or Bad Sobernheim but the Bad Sobernheim clinic told me that i'll be on the waiting list until Jan. 2009 !

Thank you Ausmum. I hope your son will benefit from this experience and get well soon :)

tell us when you get back how was it ..

best wishes ..

titch
18th September 2008, 01:27 PM
I honestly don't think that a delay until January next year will make the slightest bit of difference to how treatable your spine is, so I think you can safely make your choice based on other factors. I understand that you want to get started as soon as possible, but it should make no difference to the effectiveness of treatment, and anyone who tells you otherwise is scare-mongering. If you were say 12 or 13, with a lot of growing left to do, then delay might have an effect if you had a sudden growth spurt, but that is not something you need to worry about at your age :)

I would also suggest - given that the Wisconsin clinic sets a very good example with this - that you ask for details of former patients who you could talk to, as if you can talk to patients who have used both insitutions it might help you make a decision. Something I would like to point out to anyone who is reading is that if you have been to either of these institutions and for whatever reason don't want to post publically, there's nothing to stop you contacting people directly to ask if they would like to talk to you about your experience outside this forum system :)

doodii
19th September 2008, 04:28 AM
After reading to what you all wrote, i think i agree with you that i dont have to worry, also all the doctors who i asked told me to wait at least 6 months to see if there is a progress.

am sorry i was scared and shocked becouse i just knew about the scoliosis .. so thats why i was searching for anything that will benefit me .

sins
19th September 2008, 12:59 PM
You can always e mail the wisconsin clinic because I saw on their website that there were Schroth practitioners in the Middle east(although they weren't specific about exactly where).I'm happy that you're feeling better but can fully understand your wish to stop any worsening of the curve.
Sins

stana29
10th November 2008, 10:31 AM
Hello,

I think somebody here was not able to get any price info from the German Scoliosis clinic.
I e-mailed them a while ago and here is their reply:

Dear Ms. Magnusova,

thank you very much for your inquiry and your interest in our inpatient intensive rehabilitation programme.

At present the Asklepios Katharina-Schroth-Klinic is worldwide the only clinic offering such an inpatient intensive rehabilitation programme of 5 ½ hours per day. Knowing this programme, patients concerned can decide whether they want to undergo surgery or not.

Daily costs of inpatient treatment including accomodation for the patients: Euro: 135,--

Daily costs of accomodation for an accompanying person (necessary for patients until 12 years) Euro: 60,--. The full amount has to be paid 6 weeks in advance. Accomodation for accompanying will be together with the patient in a double room. The first treatment should to go over 4 weeks at least.

The therapy language is German. Only a few single exercises can be made in English. But most of our patients from abroad had been very good integrated in the therapy, because of the physical demonstration of the exercises.

A percentage of a reduction of the curvature cannot be give, because it is very individual and not at least depending from the compliance of the patient. The patients are learning to control their posture with special exercises, whish has to be done at home every day. They are learning to help theirself.

Our therapie is the pysiotherapie 5 – 6 hours per day, Saturday from 08.00 – 12.30 h individual, but most in groups. Patients with the same curvature will be done in groups from the 2. week of treatment. In the first week patients who come the first time, are learning special exercises for their individual curvature.

There are openings from middle of February at present.

The reservation can be made per email. We need the personal dates of the patient and the accompanying person. Arriving and departure is only on Wednesday. Please send us a medical certificate about the scoliosis and, if there are other diseases, also a certificate about this.

Further information about our clinic you will under our internet adress www.skoliose.com or www.asklepios.com.

Hoping to hear from you soon we remain

With best regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Rosemarie Bleif

Leitung Disposition

Asklepios Katharina-Schroth-Klinik

Korczakstr. 2, 55566 Bad Sobernheim

Tel.: +49 (0) 6751 874 162 , Fax: +49 (0) 6751 874 170

email: r.bleif@asklepios.com, www.asklepios.com

Angel95
18th November 2008, 05:50 PM
I live about 20 mins from the clinic in Woodbridge but my consultant said not to use it because my consultant said it wouldn't be worth because my curvatures were too big.
If you want me to find any info about it and post it on here just ask!
Where do you live? Do you live anywhere near Woodbridge or Suffolk?

Write back soon
XOXOXOX

Essi
19th November 2008, 09:39 AM
Hello,

i'm new to this forum so forgive me if i say anything that shouldn't be said.

Anyway, my name is Esther (from Australia) and i went to the scoliosis SOS clinic about 2 and a half years ago, just when it was opening in England. I was 13 when i first went to the clinic, with a curve of about 56 degrees. I have to admit the exercises were very hard to keep up at first, but over time i got used to them and they were part of my daily routine. I wasn't quite sure if the treatment was going to work, but i really didn't want to have surgery, so i gave it a hard go. 6 months after i first went, i got some x-rays and my back had not only just stayed the same but it got better and went down to 49. I tried to keep my exercises up, but when it reached 2 years i felt like i didn't have anything left in me, so i slowly started to give up. Then i decided maybe it was time i was to go back, to see if i could get some extra inspiration and maybe improve.

So a little less then a month ago (now alomost 16 years old) i went back to SOS for a week to have a check up, and it helped me alot. I see my surgeon next week for some more x-rays to see if it has stayed the same. I know this treatment doesn't work for everybody, but it has seriously changed my life forever. I met alot of other people other there with scoliosis and it made me feel good that i could relate to other people with it. The therapists and the Maude family are really friendly and helpful, they put in alot of time and effort.

If anybody else would like to ask about the treatment or anything else, please feel free to ask me.

(:

GillyG
19th November 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Essi, welcome to SSO :welcome:

Like you say, the treatment doesn't work for everyone and, of course, it's too expensive for many to even try, but it's great to hear that you had some success with it. I hope it's all good news when you see your consultant :D

Amazed Jean
19th November 2008, 07:53 PM
Welcome to SSO Essi. ( I couln't resist since I am an old Pokey and Gumby fan/).

Essi
20th November 2008, 05:17 AM
hahah, thanks guys. (:
yeah well the treatment is going well so far, i shall update everyone when i see my consultant.
+
i love gumby -cheesy grin-

Unregistered
29th March 2009, 12:43 AM
Hi,

can anyone please give me the contacts for the scoliosis clinic in Israel,

thank you,

Lara

Sandman77
29th March 2009, 11:02 PM
A week in Bad Salzungen is 599 Euro a week with bed and 3 meals a day. 2 weeks 1099 Euro, 3 weeks 1648 euros...

http://www.skoliose-badsalzungen.de/media/downloads/Selbstzahler.pdf
http://www.skoliose-badsalzungen.de/media/downloads/Skoliosetherapiewochen.pdf

sins
30th March 2009, 10:01 AM
Thank you for that William.
I also have a brochure and a list of accommodation close to the clinic if anyone ever decides to travel for an assessment.It's in a very picturesque location:)
Sins

stana29
30th March 2009, 06:00 PM
ScoliosisSOS clinic have a newly opened centre in central London.

tonibunny
30th March 2009, 06:37 PM
There is also a Schroth Centre in London too now, for people who are interested in the Katherina Schroth method. This clinic is registered with the Health Professions Council, which is reassuring :)

http://www.scoliosisinlondon.co.uk/

stana29
31st March 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that.
I will contact them for prices and further info.

Sandman77
31st March 2009, 09:07 PM
Bad Salzungen a great small town, I enjoyed it alot there going back in 2010 I hope for 3 more weeks of rehab Schroth...

HollyBeryl
16th October 2009, 05:36 PM
Just to back up what Twizzlegirl said, I also had an extremely unpleasant experience at the scoliosos sos clinic.
Obviously, your curve might not require surgery so you are going to be needing some exercises. However, I would not recommend this method as although it may be effective for some people I feel that it is over priced for a treatment that is misleading to be some kind of miracle. The treatment is over the course of a month and any treatment at that intensity is going to have a positive effect if anything.
I have had the operation now (age 18) as I found no other suitable alternative method and am extremely happy. Of course I cannot speak for everybody but the time I spent at the scoliosis sos clinic was the most unhappy I've ever been in my life.
Hope this helps you in your decisions, as I know it can be hard. Good Luck!

mark
16th October 2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Holly, welcome to SSO i hope you enjoy our support and you can get the support you need from us, thanks for your personal opinions, we love feed back on treatments our members go for, sorry you did not get out what you expected, i hope you stick around and post your experiences, it helps nebies who maybe are struggling with intervention options make up there minds especially when it costs a considerble amount of money

Once again welcome to our slightly wonky world, we are a friendly bunch who just want to support one other through the good and bad times without being ripped of our hard earned cash

take care

mark

tonibunny
17th October 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Hollyberyl, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at that clinic :( I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well now post-op though. Where did you have your surgery? Please tell us more :)

Toni xx