PDA

View Full Version : Unbalanced

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
20th October 2004, 09:00 PM
Does anybody know if scoliosis has any bearing on the actual balance.
Unless it is just a coincidence but Sarah seems to be losing her balance lately.
We have put it down to her being just a bit clumsy.

As always any comments would be most welcomed.

lindzi_11
20th October 2004, 09:35 PM
I'm super clumsy too! I seem to drift sometimes when i walk.

sins
20th October 2004, 09:38 PM
There are some theories about the relationship between scoliosis and altered balance. It's a topic that interests me a lot as I have pes cavus or abnormally high arches....although they seen normal enough to me.
Take a look at this website which explains perfectly what would take ages for me to try and put together.
http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/medmuseu.../treat1920.html (http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/medmuseum/wallexhibits/scoliosis/history/treat1920.html)
High Arches. One study showed a higher incidence of abnormally high arches in the feet in people with idiopathic scoliosis, suggesting that altered balance may be a factor in certain cases.

Problems in Coordination. Some experts are looking at inherited defects in perception or coordination that may cause asymmetrical growth in the spine of some children with scoliosis.

Also Chrissy, it's possible that the curve is pulling her to one side making it a bit harder for her to maintain proper balance.I think some others here would agree that they have some balance issues.
When you have your next appointment, be sure to mention it to your doctors so that they can offer an informed opinion on it.
In the meantime try not to worry.How is your search for an alternative hospital with a shorter waiting list going?
Sins

butterflylr
20th October 2004, 10:03 PM
Hmmm...that high arches thing is interesting. I've noticed that in order for me to walk comfortably, I have to wear arch supports. Maybe mine are higher than normal?

andrea
20th October 2004, 10:19 PM
That's really interesting Sins. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but I have high arches and my husband is super clumsy, so much so I've often wondered if he had that clumsy condition that I can't remember the name of as a child. However, as you all know, it's not us that have the scoliosis, but our daughter. Weird.

She has balance issues too, although I put that down to the weight of the cast rather than her curve. Could be that too though.

Jonny
20th October 2004, 11:12 PM
My hand-eye coordination is absolutely terrible (don't watch me playing cricket ;-)) and my balance before surgery was pretty bad. Ask Titch about the LAN weekend a few months ago and how much I was tripping up and staggering around then :-P sober, honest guv.

My arches seem normal but my feet (and my mum's) are particularly narrow, meaning we can't wear slip-on shoes.

Little~shedevil~dee
21st October 2004, 12:16 AM
i am allways falling over i thought it was because i had an operation on my foot but maybe its both

Marti
21st October 2004, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty klutzy... I have no hand eye coordination, and I trip and fall a lot. I can't wear those high shoes with skinny heels. But I actually have a pretty good sense of balance. I tribute that to all those years of ballet.

Blair
21st October 2004, 03:52 AM
I was badly out of balance due to my scoliosis since I only had one curve... My balance is much better since my op.

titch
21st October 2004, 11:21 AM
I think the clumsy child condition is called Dyspraxia, and often goes hand in hand with dyslexia. As to general clumsiness, I think in my case it was more the curve that made me clumsy than the other way around. I really wasn't clumsy at all in earlier childhood, but started getting clumsy when I was around 7 or 8, which is also when my posture and body shape started changing (I put it that way because I wasn't diagnosed until I was 15). It was a lot better after surgery, like I knew where I was, but as I went out of balance again I got pretty clumsy. These days I'm generally not clumsy unless my neck is playing up, and then I tend to drop things or if it's really bad I have all manner of trouble with balance, but that's really not the scoliosis in any direct sense.

BarmyArmy
21st October 2004, 12:55 PM
I'm just accident prone :oops: I have a postcard of Little Miss Whoops (latest Little Miss character who is the sister to Mr Bump) stuck to the front of my locker at work. I'm always doing stupid things and sadly my workmates are used to hearing me shouting and swearing in the staff area about my latest accident. I was only on the shop floor for 5 minutes yesterday and I jammed my finger in the till :oops: :oops:

I don't think there is a condition with my scoliosis, I'm just hopeless. :ph34r:

Liv
21st October 2004, 01:48 PM
Oohh! So I can blame my curvy spine for being so clumsy and spilling food and drinks on my clothes all the time! :joke:

Kaja
21st October 2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Liv@Oct 21 2004, 12:48 PM
Oohh! So I can blame my curvy spine for being so clumsy and spilling food and drinks on my clothes all the time! :joke:
YAY :monkey: What a relief :joke:

ivanleg
21st October 2004, 05:11 PM
I have high arches. Not sure but I think I also have an arched palate.
Both these are also associated with Marfans. Arched or flat feet are mentioned interchangeably.

Amazed Jean
21st October 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm in the high arches and high palate group too. When I asked a doctor some years ago if I could have Marfans syndrome,he said No , I wasn'tblack. What does that mean?

sins
21st October 2004, 05:30 PM
Presumably your doctor was under the misapprehension that only AfricanAmericans could have Marfan's.
Caucasians have it as well, although I'm not certain about other races.
if you want more information there's some good links in the medical information section.Hopefully you're not seeing that doctor these days.
Did you mention something about a heart problem or am I confusing you with someone else?genetic testing is now available and I'm sure you could have a sample of blood taken and screened for Marfan's if you wished.
Sins

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
21st October 2004, 06:01 PM
Sins: We've made enquiries through G.O.S.H. but their waiting time is approx. 3-6 months. So we have decided to stick with The Nuffield and Jeremy Fairbank who will be operating on Sarah. Charlotte says he has a good reputation and he is one of the top scoliosis surgeons in the country. So we are going by "better the devil you know".

ivanleg
21st October 2004, 06:23 PM
Your doctor made a baffling comment - how many years ago was it?
Marfans is not age, race or gender specific. (SUCMS 1997)

Amazed Jean
21st October 2004, 07:40 PM
I should have been clear that it was an EX doctor. Same Bozo decided that I could breathe too.(Never mind that my lips were blue and fingers white and I was puffing like a steam engine --.) And yes I also have a mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation. I have to have a sample of everything I guess.

ivanleg
21st October 2004, 08:15 PM
I've got the mitral thing too I believe. The aorta was ok last time I checked.

Crazy16girl
21st October 2004, 10:28 PM
Ive never thought about this before...but when i was 12/13 my friends use to moan at me for not walking in a straight line...and when i was about 7/8 i could NOT do rolly-pollies without going to the side...

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 08:59 AM
I can't respond to the balance question as I had a brain tumor removed in 2002 and my vestibular (balance) nerve was cut during the operation. But I also have very narrow feet and relatively high arches.

Anyway, my balance is so bad that I'm worried that if I'm ever distracted enough while driving that I get pulled over for weaving, I won't be able to walk straight to prove my sobriety.

lynns
26th October 2004, 03:01 PM
i too am very clumsy and i to drift to one side when i walk. i cant stand it because when you do it in front of people you look like your either drunk or on drugs. its funny. i think back and i drift to the left which i seem to always hit walls. my hubby says i walk crooked like a car thats main body is bent. its funny and yet again its not. i tip everything over and seem to not grasp anything without spilling, or droping it. it can be a real mess when your around me. i remember when my son wonted raviolis so i went to kitchen to get him some. as im leaving the kitchen to bring them to him i tripped on that invisivle stick or something and i and bowl go to the floor. my son just looked at me and said." why did you do that?" i look now and i laugh at that. because usally thats his job not mine.

jfkimberly
26th October 2004, 05:24 PM
I hate that invisible stick! It gets me every time.

Oh, except for the time Courtney (my sister) thought it would be funny to get me... we were meeting our parents for lunch at a restaurant, and as we walked across the parking lot, she threw her foot between my legs during my stride. My back leg couldn't come forward like I expected it to, and down I went. I sprawled across the asphalt, and Courtney looked down at me in surprise and said, "Whoa! I didn't think you'd fall!" I said, "You tripped me, and I had my balance nerve cut! What did you think would happen?!" I was was very angry for the entire seems-like-eternity that I was falling, but by the time I reached the ground I started laughing too hard to get myself up. A nice couple was coming out of the restaurant when it happened and saw the whole thing... the woman asked if she should call an ambulance. I said, "Yeah.. for her [pointing at my sister], because I'm about to kill her!" They decided I was alright.

Amazed Jean
26th October 2004, 06:20 PM
So your sister just does a little experiment on you. Nice. I hope you have responded in kind.

jfkimberly
26th October 2004, 11:39 PM
I have tried. I'm not big enough to have any kind of affect on her. I'm like a gnat flying around an elephant. She just swishes her tail at me, and lumbers off. Not that she's big, or anything... I'm just small. It's easy for her to trip me, but I can't seem to get her.