PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Rib Implant

Elladan
20th October 2004, 05:59 AM
Hi!

Kimberly doesn't have good computer access in Texas, so she asked me to fill you in on her trip.

She saw a Dr. Cyr in San Antonio, and he looked over her charts. She has a 48 thoracolumbar curve below the fusion, and pronounced lordosis.

However, he agreed her real problems right now aren't due to her spine so much as her lungs... To that end, he suggested she go see a Dr. Campbell at the University of Texas. Why, you ask?

Well, it seems he may be able to fit Kimberly out with a new...

Titanium Rib Cage!

She doesn't know yet, but we're hoping he can also fit her out with retracting titanium claws, and a healing factor. You know she'll look really cute in one of those latex armor suits!

Anyway, she wanted me to tell everyone here, since she's staying an extra day for a CT scan.

So long for now!
-Elladan

titch
20th October 2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks for letting us know! Fingers crossed that she is a candidate :-)

sins
20th October 2004, 11:56 AM
That's fascinating and so exciting.I hope this works out Kimberly,it could be just the answer you were looking for.
Sins

DublinPauline
20th October 2004, 12:05 PM
Wow, that sounds very promising.
Just found this on the Titanium Rib Cage: http://www.shrinershq.org/whatsnewarch/arc...03/rib4-03.html (http://www.shrinershq.org/whatsnewarch/archives03/rib4-03.html)
Dr Cambell seems to be the Main Man,
Best of luck Kimberly. :-)

Liv
20th October 2004, 12:19 PM
Wow! That's very interesting! :-) Thanks for that link, Pauline. :niceone:

ivanleg
20th October 2004, 04:29 PM
Welcome Elladan.
For a minute there I was picturing an entire ribcage made of titanium, like some sort of Robocop.
Sounds fascinating, keep us posted.

Kaja
20th October 2004, 04:31 PM
Titanium ribcage?! How cool is that? :D :D

Amazed Jean
20th October 2004, 04:50 PM
Titanium rib cage. I lLOVE it! I checked out the sight and how amazing this is. I want one. OK I know I can't have one but it sounds perfect! Please let Kimberly be a good candidate. I'll say an extra prayer.

andrea
20th October 2004, 07:18 PM
Wow, I thought they only did this with kiddies. Someone I correspond with on another site is waiting to see if her daughter will be accepted on to a titanium rib implant project too. I don't know if it's the same thing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed - it looks amazing.

Jonny
20th October 2004, 10:28 PM
Wow - good luck Kimberly! With luck you'll be a candidate :-D

Marti
20th October 2004, 11:41 PM
That's really exciting! *crosses fingers that it works out* thanks for telling us Elladan!

Blair
21st October 2004, 02:53 AM
OOOH! That sounds pretty interesting!
*crosses fingers*

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 07:43 AM
I'm back! Yes, I'm being referred to Dr. Campbell who invented the titanium rib. I really don't know if I will be a candidate for the device because so far they've only used it for children. Dr. Cyr (the orthopaedist I saw in San Antonio) thinks they haven't had any opportunities to try it on an adult yet because the kids with Thoracic Insufficiency Syndrome don't survive into adulthood (without the implant). In fact, at one point in my consultation he acknowledged my 31 years and literally congratulated me for being alive.

Anyway, here's an article about the titanium rib: click here (http://www.uthscsa.edu/mission/spring98/titanrib.html)

*happy smile* I am so happy to be on Tricare and back in the military medical system!

Ohmigosh! *heads over to the Pink Room to talk about the rest of the appointment*

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 07:49 AM
Oh! About that lumbar curve... Dr. Cyr did note the 48 curve and lordosis, but said it is a long curve that encompasses all of my lower spine. Because of the length of the curve, he doesn't want to fuse that unless it becomes aboslutely necessary (which, hopefully, it won't). But he did say that if the titanium rib procedure works out to provide better lung capacity, we can look at more options for the rest of my spine in a few years.

Now I'm off to the Pink Room... *chuckle*

Amazed Jean
22nd October 2004, 04:00 PM
That titanium rib is really cool. What did they say about your chances to get one? You know I'm all for keeping every bit of breathing room you can. I'm convinced that even ten years ago it would have been at least some help forestalling the last bits of rib collapse for me. Hanging on to every bit you can should be made abundantly clear to these doctors. Can I lobby for your case?

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure what it will take to be accepted for this procedure. Dr. Cyr sees no reason why it can't be used on me, but Dr. Campbell will have a better understanding of it (he invented the thing, after all). A friend of mine found a better article than I've seen so far at this (http://www.news-medical.net/print_article.asp?id=4841) site. According to the article, "The rib is implanted in infants as young as 6 months and in teenagers until skeletal maturity, typically age 14 in girls and age 16 in boys," which means to me that I am not a candidate. But we'll see how it goes... Dr. Cyr thinks it would help me.

andrea: There is only one Titanium Rib project, so your friend is probably waiting for the same thing. I hope her child is approved!

amazed: Yes you can. Anybody who wants to argue on my behalf is welcome to do so.

Joy
23rd October 2004, 12:47 AM
That's very exciting Kim! I really hope that you get in and that it can help you!