PDA

View Full Version : surgery date set!

SarahBella
10th September 2008, 05:53 AM
Hi everyone! I went to get a second opinion from another reputable surgeon about two weeks ago, and he also told me that I could have surgery now, or in 30 years. I chose now. December 16th- the day after my final exam. Hopefully all goes well and I'm home for Christmas! Anyways, now it has finally hit me that I won't have to live with the pain and my back will be straight! As much as that excites me I keep freaking out about the fact that something could go wrong. And I'm scared about the recovery. Anyone who has had the surgery have any methods of calming down? It's still 4 months away but it's still not far off at all. I tried to read up on exactly what the surgery entailed (since I'm in school to be a nurse and nothing really gets to me) but I got scared. Also, I think I'm going to start religiously taking pictures of all my dr. appointments and everything: before, during, and after the surgery- since photography is one of my hobbies and I think it may be a useful guide for new patients doing research.

Seeking_help
10th September 2008, 07:38 AM
Congrats on the surgery date! I'm goin in next month (I have kyphosis as well). I put off surgery for a few months because I was pretty scared but I had a good talk with my surgeon. He told me that the benefit has to FAR outweight the risk for surgery. I imagine your surgeon is the same way.

I also think the picture book is a good idea. I am going to do the same thing. It'll be nice for others to see before/during/after pictures.

As for calming down - I've found music to be a good release.

Kentish
10th September 2008, 11:36 AM
Good luck with your surgery. Trying to keep calm can be tricky. Its probably best to just do your usual things and try not to think about it too much. Easier said than done I know but the mind has a way of making things seem so much worse than they actually are. Before my fusion I found it helpful to write a list of all the positives and negatives that the surgery could cause and the positive list was twice as long as the negative one. I hope everything goes smoothly for you :)

twizzlegirl
10th September 2008, 12:31 PM
congrats on getting a date! i found my ipod invaluable, also i had harry potter tapes that i could listen to which were a great help, although i tended to find that i'd fall asleep listening to them!
another thing that i liked was for my visitors to read out crossword clues to me, as it made my brain work but didn't involve any physical effort!
taking pics are definately a good idea, i didnt take enough pics of my back before scoliosis surgery so i dont really have much to compare it to!
anyway, i'm sure the surgery will be fine, mentally i found the waiting much worse than the recovery!
xxx

Mustang Sal
10th September 2008, 11:05 PM
December 16th was my surgery date too, although this year will be the 10 year anniversary for me - can't believe it's been that long!

I hope you don't have to be in for too long over the festive season - I managed to escape on Christmas Eve, but only because my mum was annoyed at the level of nursing care and knew she could do a better job of it at home!

It's normal to feel scared, apprehensive, confused, and lots else besides, but just seeing the positive results of surgery on this forum will hopefully reassure you that you can get through it and be happy and healthy at the end of it :)

GillyG
10th September 2008, 11:37 PM
Just try to focus on the positives as much as possible and concentrate on getting yourself fit an healthy as this will speed up your recovery. Hopefully, it'll be the best Xmas prezzy ever :D

mark
11th September 2008, 01:18 AM
Good luck, i will be thinking about you in December

mark

sally333
14th September 2008, 01:01 AM
Hello-
It really worries me that you write that you will not have to live with the pain after surgery. I am also worried that you are so excited that your back will be straight. I have had surgery for Scheuermann'a kyphosis and I thought the same thing before I had the surgery done. It has almost been three years since my surgery for the kyphosis and I am still having pain. At the same time I am in less pain then before I did have the surgery but still I am on a lot of pain medication. I just hate to see someone go threw this surgery and think that all of there pain will be gone after it is over. I also want you to know that the surgery most likely will not correct your spine all the way to 100%. The surgeon can only go so far as not to cause worce problems. My curve was at or more then 110 degress before my surgery and it is now at about 53 degress. I also hope that you do understand how very painfull Sceuermann's surgery really is. I believe that is what you are having surgery for? Surgery for scoliosis is painfull but acording to my doctor it is far less painfull then the surgery for kyphosis as they have to tork your body in a different way. My surgeon told me that surgery for kyphosis is the most painfull surgery to go thew. Even with the months of post-op pain,tlso brace and walker for four months,not being able to wipe yourself with out a special tool to help you out with, not being able to lay down in your own bed let alone turn over in bed for several months, I knowing the outcome after the surgery would glady go threw it again if it got me ware I am today. Just don't think your back will be perfect and please be aware of the extream pain in the first two or three months. I am not tring by any means to scare you however I wish I had known all this information before I had my surgery. I also think that the chest part of the surgery was far worse then the back part as far as the pain goes. I am however happy I had the surgery and I hope all goes well with your surgery. If you have any questions please feal free to ask. I am screwed,fused,and roded from T2 to L2. I have 36 screws,two cross links,to rods almost 2 feet long all in my thoracic and lumbar spine. I had a car accident and had to have a plate,four more screws and another fusion at C5/C6. I also need another surgery in the next month and hopefully that will be the last. The last surgery will be to connect the two together. This means eight more scres and another five or six inches of rods added on to the old rods. I will be fused from C4 or C5 straight down to L2. Anyway I am very well informed on Scheuermann's kyphosis. I will try and answer any questions that you have.

Buffalowilliam
15th September 2008, 11:47 AM
Good luck with the surgery! The way I dealt with the worrying was just to keep telling myself that whether or not I was freaking out about the surgery would have absolutely no impact on the outcome of the surgery whatsoever. So I could think 'whats going to happen, whats going to happen, whats going happen?' obsessively, or just take a step back, take a deep breath and think 'whatever happens, happens. I'm sure it'll be fine and if its not I'll deal with that if I have to'. I was 100% great afterwards (all things considered) and had spared myself a huge amount of stress before hand.

Also helped me think about what my parents were going through. At least I was asleep for the eight hours of surgery, they must've been on the edges of their seats!

mark
15th September 2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Sally thanks for letting us know about your ironmongary :D your description of your surgery is very well written, concise and to the point

I hope everythings well in your world and i thank you once again for the support you give to everyone on this site in relating your experiences and knowledge of Sceuermann's you are truly insperational

take care

mark

Seeking_help
17th September 2008, 04:18 AM
Hello-
It really worries me that you write that you will not have to live with the pain after surgery. I am also worried that you are so excited that your back will be straight. I have had surgery for Scheuermann'a kyphosis and I thought the same thing before I had the surgery done. It has almost been three years since my surgery for the kyphosis and I am still having pain. At the same time I am in less pain then before I did have the surgery but still I am on a lot of pain medication. I just hate to see someone go threw this surgery and think that all of there pain will be gone after it is over. I also want you to know that the surgery most likely will not correct your spine all the way to 100%. The surgeon can only go so far as not to cause worce problems. My curve was at or more then 110 degress before my surgery and it is now at about 53 degress. I also hope that you do understand how very painfull Sceuermann's surgery really is. I believe that is what you are having surgery for? Surgery for scoliosis is painfull but acording to my doctor it is far less painfull then the surgery for kyphosis as they have to tork your body in a different way. My surgeon told me that surgery for kyphosis is the most painfull surgery to go thew. Even with the months of post-op pain,tlso brace and walker for four months,not being able to wipe yourself with out a special tool to help you out with, not being able to lay down in your own bed let alone turn over in bed for several months, I knowing the outcome after the surgery would glady go threw it again if it got me ware I am today. Just don't think your back will be perfect and please be aware of the extream pain in the first two or three months. I am not tring by any means to scare you however I wish I had known all this information before I had my surgery. I also think that the chest part of the surgery was far worse then the back part as far as the pain goes. I am however happy I had the surgery and I hope all goes well with your surgery. If you have any questions please feal free to ask. I am screwed,fused,and roded from T2 to L2. I have 36 screws,two cross links,to rods almost 2 feet long all in my thoracic and lumbar spine. I had a car accident and had to have a plate,four more screws and another fusion at C5/C6. I also need another surgery in the next month and hopefully that will be the last. The last surgery will be to connect the two together. This means eight more scres and another five or six inches of rods added on to the old rods. I will be fused from C4 or C5 straight down to L2. Anyway I am very well informed on Scheuermann's kyphosis. I will try and answer any questions that you have.

Sally makes a very good point - Expectations management is very important. But that being said, going from 110 degrees to 53 is awesome. That is a 60 degree correction!

SarahBella
18th September 2008, 04:14 AM
Sally- thanks for all the info! My curve isn't nearly as bad as yours, and I can only imagine what you have been through. My curve is only at 75 degrees right now, but I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which effects my connective tissue, and will probably cause major problems down the line if I don't get my back fixed now. Of course, we're still going on probability, and there's a chance my back will never get worse if I don't have the surgery, but that is a risk I want to take. Plus the timing is right, since I am young, healthy, and in good shape, and the surgery is only a posterior fusion. I have been reading up and realize that a perfect back is pretty much out of the question, but if it's anywhere close to being within normal range I'll be happy. I am a 19 year old girl so I do worry about my appearance, so this surgery is for both cosmetic and medical reasons, and the list of benefits far outweighs risks. One of my good friends had scoliosis surgery (not the same, but similar) so I am aware of the fact that the months coming out of the surgery will be rough and I'll be in a lot of pain, but I don't have pain that stops me from moving or leading a pretty normal life (with little assistance from medication) right now, so my surgeon told me it's completely realistic that I won't have any pain eventually, over time. I'm starting to get really scared already, and I'm especially worried about the fact that in thirty years, I'll still only be middle aged and may have problems with my adjacent discs, and back surgery is not something you want to go through twice. Thanks so much for the help once again!