PDA

View Full Version : Numbness

floralgypsy
24th April 2004, 10:15 PM
After scoliosis surgery I had a numb area under my chest which I assumed had something to do with the costoplasty and damaged ribs/nerves. This went away after a few months and I regained almost normal sensation. Today, after lifting a few home delivery boxes, I felt really tight across my chest and for the first time in a long while, I had very bad numbness under my chest again. When I touched it, it sent an unusual sensation around by back, as though it followed a rib round and hit a nerve. It is a bit better now, although it really worried me at the time. Has anyone here had the numbness return?

Marti
25th April 2004, 12:09 AM
I can't really help you there. My whole side that was operated on is still numb. I really hope that if it does go away it doesn't come back though. And I hope that your numbness goes away soon. :hug:

titch
25th April 2004, 12:37 AM
I've had some reoccurrences of numbness and odd sensations across my back after overdoing it, but the feeling has always come back quite quickly, and it takes more to upset things as time goes by - if you have the same sort of thing it should just settle on it's own and shouldn't happen again. Hope it feels better soon, and as ever, if it doesn't improve as fast as you hope, see the doctor, but hopefully it will subside on it's own :-)

Kayla
25th April 2004, 01:44 AM
I have had numbness off and on but its related to my chiari I hope you feel better! :hug:

iamcrooked
25th April 2004, 03:52 PM
Ive had it my entire life, also my left arm underneath it is all numb, can even bite in it and do not feel a thing...

Kayla
25th April 2004, 08:43 PM
ewww you bite yourself?

Liv
25th April 2004, 10:48 PM
I had a numb band-like area for some time after the surgery too. Nerve damage :evil: It took a while to dissapear, and sometimes I have the feeling that it's there again. But not as bad as you describe. :hug:

mark
25th April 2004, 11:57 PM
i have not had surgery but i get numbness in finger ends i think it must be poor circulation

probably down to enjoying life too much well all the wrong things anyway

Kayla
26th April 2004, 03:41 AM
Well there was the one time when my hands went completely paralyzed and we were scared the surgery wouldnt fix it but it did :-) but my middle finger the tip of it is still numb but thats still all chiari

Marti
26th April 2004, 03:44 AM
Wow, that must have been really scary Kayla.

Kayla
26th April 2004, 03:49 AM
Yah I cried one morning I woke up and I couldnt put my sock on it was a really scary point in time, they didnt think they would be able to correct it :-?

Marti
26th April 2004, 04:01 AM
I can imagine that would be scary! I would probably have a nervous breakdown.

Carly
26th April 2004, 05:15 AM
i would be so scared if that happened to me.. how did it work out charlotte?

LightningRod
27th April 2004, 04:08 AM
My hip is numb where they took out the bone. And some of my nerves are messed up... like what you said sort of.... I can touch this area around my rib cage sometimes... it sends a really strange sensation to my back. Creepy almost..

Jessica*
30th April 2004, 01:11 PM
I, too, have a numb spot under my chest. Not exactly sure where abouts you're talking about but I can half relate. Haven't had the costoplasty, and not sure if it was always there but have noticed it within the past 9 months or so.

The only numb spots I have that really make me flinch or anything would be in the middle of my back, around the scar. I hope the sensitivity wears down over the years!

floralgypsy
1st May 2004, 10:25 PM
Sorry, so many threads, so little time! The numbness is back to how it used to be which is a relief. I guess it won't ever be normal again, but it is a small price to pay for a much improved spine. =)

Kaja
1st May 2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by floralgypsy@May 1 2004, 09:25 PM
..but it is a small price to pay for a much improved spine. =)
Indeed! :-)
The side which I was operated on, was very numb, especially my scar. It's still quite numb, and my side is sometimes. Not very comfortable! :-? Aaaand, I can't stand the way those tags on the inside of my shirt, makes my scar itch!! Grr, can't really scratch it either, and it looks funny when I'm in public. Lol :P

LightningRod
2nd May 2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Kaja+May 1 2004, 03:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kaja @ May 1 2004, 03:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-floralgypsy@May 1 2004, 09:25 PM
..but it is a small price to pay for a much improved spine. =)
Indeed&#33; :-) I can&#39;t stand the way those tags on the inside of my shirt, makes my scar itch&#33;&#33; Grr, can&#39;t really scratch it either, and it looks funny when I&#39;m in public. Lol :P [/b][/quote]
:-o Ah&#33; I have the same problem&#33;&#33;&#33; Some of those tags just really rub the scar the wrong way..

Marti
2nd May 2004, 05:05 AM
I have that problem too&#33; And sometimes my scar just feels weird so I&#39;m ithcing it and then I realize all those weird looks are pointed at me because my hand is halfway up the back of my shirt and most of my scar is exposed... :oops:

Kaja
2nd May 2004, 10:01 PM
Yesss&#33; *echoes Marthas words*

julianne
11th August 2004, 08:32 PM
Hey there,

For those of you who have had fusion surgery, do you have numb spots? I had the pelvic bone graft, and because of that the outside of my right thigh is incredibly numb. Also, the middle of my incision and my shoulders have barely any feeling. It got better after my first surgery, but when I had the rods and hardware removed, it came back at full force. It&#39;s especially annoying because sometimes it feels like it itches, but I can&#39;t itch it... it&#39;s extremely creepy. So, question, do any of you have this problem, and has anything you&#39;ve tried helped it? My physio therapist is trying to &#39;desensitize&#39; my back so that I&#39;m not so sensitive to touch, but even after months of that, it&#39;s still sooo numb.

Julianne (who hasn&#39;t been here in awhile... heh. :ph34r:)

BlueIce
11th August 2004, 08:50 PM
My scar and the area around it is numb and my rib hump is too. I don&#39;t know why that is, it&#39;s just really sensitive.
That itching feeling you were talking about is SO annoying&#33; It is a bit better now, but right after surgery it was very unpleasent. My scar started itching because it was healing and I couldn&#39;t rub it to make it go away.
Surgery was only 6 weeks ago so I hope it&#39;ll get better. I just put nivea body cream with vitamin E and almond oil on the scar. I don&#39;t know if that helps, but rubbing my scar feels good sometimes but only when I do it myself.

Jonny
11th August 2004, 09:04 PM
There&#39;s a numb zone an inch each side of both my scars, but I think that&#39;s normal for any surgical wound. After my anterior, the inside of my left thigh went numb and when the consultant came round the next morning, he muttered something about "psoas" and I think it&#39;s because the psoas muscle, which you have to take off the spine to do the surgery if it&#39;s lumbar, has nerves running through it. It&#39;s still half-numb-sort-of-painful now, and it itches, but yeah, I can&#39;t scratch it.

There&#39;s also a large completely numb patch right over where I had my thoracoplasty, I guess because of how much they had to retract it from a midline incision.

Don&#39;t think any of it that is going to heal has had a chance to yet, though.

Blair
11th August 2004, 09:39 PM
Yup. I&#39;m just shy of 8 months post op. I get that itchy feeling alot... Mostly when I&#39;ve been up and around a lot and my muscles are a little fatigued. I hate that unscratchable itch feeling&#33; You can scratch your skin until you&#39;re blue in the face, but you can never get it to stop.
Only thing that does it for me is to lay down (best) or to at least press my back up against a wall or a fencepost (If I&#39;m working one of my colts) really firmly for a couple of minutes. That seems to help settle it back down.

The top 2/3 of the fused part of my back is numb about 3 or 4 inches to each side of my scar.
The lowest portion of my fused spine has almost full feeling back.

My hip is also still pretty numb. Not so much around the scar anymore, but I have a band of numbness that wraps around from my scar to the front of my hip bone, down onto my butt, and also down into the crease of my hip/thigh...

Kayla
11th August 2004, 09:46 PM
The scar on my stomach is like that its so completly numb around it. Also my middle finger is numb but there is no scar its just a side-effectf rom one of the surgeries.

Carly
11th August 2004, 11:00 PM
I havent had surgury so I cant help you... but i just though I would say that I am happy that you are back&#33; I missed you&#33;

sins
11th August 2004, 11:52 PM
Hi Julianne,
My bone graft scar remained numb to some degree for about 15 years.probably not what you want to hear but I got used to it after a while.I have some very strange spots on my back and if you touch them I&#39;d get a severe itching and stabbing sensation on a different part of my back.........It can take several months for your back to desensitise but I&#39;m sure it will, but be prepared for some little niggling irritations for a long time.Most of us have that following our surgeries.

tonibunny
11th August 2004, 11:55 PM
Aw honey :hug: Yes, a lot of my back is totally numb and I know exactly what you mean re: the itching.....you go to scratch the itch and find that that bit of your back is numb....horrible&#33;&#33;&#33; :(

I had loads of numbness following my last fusion surgery (when I was 18) but the feeling mostly came back over the next couple of years. I remember the tops of my legs being totally dead, and my sides.....it really scared me, but it didn&#39;t last.

floralgypsy
12th August 2004, 01:06 AM
My numbness is located around the front of my ribcage. It still comes back from time-to-time and it is one of the strangest sensations that I have ever had.

titch
12th August 2004, 01:29 AM
I had a lot of irritation with weird feeling itchy numb bits, and hypersensitivity in various places for quite some time. I didn&#39;t have it after my first surgery for any length of time, but it has lasted somewhat since my revision/salvage. However, I found that something which helped was to do things like loofah my back in the shower, have Courtney rub exfoliant cream all over it (just a cheapy - Cyclax with walnuts, smells rather chocolatey, and it doesn&#39;t irritate my skin), making sure to give it a good rubbing with my towel when drying - basically trying to expose it to varied, but strong sensations.

I still have numbness and weird sensation on the inside of my left leg, just above the knee, and it catches me out periodically - mostly I don&#39;t notice it now, but if something touches it unexpectedly, it can really make me jump. It&#39;s so much better than it was even 4 or 5 months ago though. Hopefully yours will continue to subside as well :-)

Kaja
12th August 2004, 03:39 PM
My scar is pretty numb, and so is the front of my ribcage, where my rib was removed :roll: It&#39;s horrible when my scar itches, and when I scratch it - it&#39;s numb. Ah.

Glad you&#39;re back&#33;

Jonny
12th August 2004, 05:10 PM
Sorry - I forgot - yeah, a lot of my stomach is numb, near the foot of the anterior scar, and opposite it on the other side, there&#39;s an area of hypersensitivity.

Sarah
15th August 2004, 07:14 PM
My numb patch is at the back where the bone graft was taken from the hip or that area and kinda wonders round to the side a bit.