PDA

View Full Version : pain post op?

teebee
3rd September 2008, 04:17 PM
Hello again!

I know some of you have had kyphosis/scoliosis correction. I have a question for you: My son seems to be in a bit more pain yesterday and today, days 12 and 13 post op. He is MUCH more active and still taking his pain meds, although he is sleeping through his middle of the night pain med time, so wakes up in the hole, pain-wise, I guess.

First, is this normal? Second, any suggestions?

Thanks!

tb

GillyG
3rd September 2008, 08:47 PM
Unless he is suddenly in a high degree of pain, I would say it is quite normal. I clearly remember thinking I was going backwards (recovery-wise) for a while, until it was pointed out to me that I was doing far more than I did for the first few weeks post-op. His body has taken quite a pummelling and as he reduces his pain medication it will remind him of this from time to time :p The important thing is to take just enough pain relief to be able to stay active (without doing too much!), otherwise he'll stiffen up and be worse in the long run. Another mistake I made, as I tried to come of mine too quickly ... :oops:

mark
4th September 2008, 10:06 PM
Got to agree with Gilly, it could take as much as 6 months to get back on the right road, lets hope it doesn't but its early days

thinking of you lots

mark

Kentish
5th September 2008, 10:18 AM
Yes that sounds exactly how I was after my fusion. 2 weeks post op I'd had enough of my mum fussing around me so I moved back to my own place and even though I was in more pain because I was having to walk to shops etc, it still felt like the best thing to do for my mental health.

Depending on how hard he's finding the pain when he wakes up, maybe he could consider setting an alarm for during the night so he takes his meds? Personally it took me so long to get to sleep that I was happier having pain in the morning than setting an alarm and then finding it impossible to get back to sleep so I didnt choose that option. But if the pain when he wakes up is really quite bad then maybe its something to consider. Anyway hope his recovery continues to progress :)

madmclw
5th September 2008, 01:23 PM
For the first few days when I was home, I used to wake up in the middle of the night anyway, because they used to wake me up and 1 - 2 in the morning on the ward, to give me more meds. So I used to take 2 syringes of I think Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and put them in a glass beside my bed [along with 2 squares of my enormous [and growing!] chocolate collection, for the Ibuprofen]. That way when I woke up in pain I had something to take. Once I started to sleep through that hour though, I still took the meds to bed, but just had them as soon as I woke up. If this was 5 - 6 in the morning, it meant I could have the Dihydrochodine [sp?] like, after breakfast [say, 9 - 10]. Eventually I just stopped taking the night time painkillers completely.

sally333
14th September 2008, 02:40 AM
Hi
I really can't give you any degree of adivce in this situation as children heal faster then adults. I can say however that at the age of 35 I had surgery for Scheuermann's kyphosis and the degree of my curve was at 110 or a little higher. I can tell you that the pain is so exstream that no one could ever explain it to anyone unless they had the same surgery. I also am told by my doctor that in an adult and if it is kyphosis the surgery is far more painfull and far more complexed then the surgery for scoliosis. I really didn't care if I died or not when I first woke up after the surgery(anterior and posterior) it was even painfull to just move my finger. I was not alowed to get up or even sit up in my bed for the first four days post op and I was in the hospital ten days. Fore your son to just be under two weeks since his surgery I would bet he is still in a lot of pain. It takes a long time to heal from this surgery. My doctor wanted me off work for a year before returning. I also know some children that have gone threw scholiosis surgery and that it was a much easy surgery to go threw and the pain was less and they were back to school in about three weeks. No gym but that is understandable. I feel bad that your son is still in pain but really unless he has fallen or hurt himself or has a temperture then really I believe you at this point have nothing to worry about. He still is after all considered a fresh surgical.

sally333
14th September 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi I just got done reading the post on your son's surgery. I am so glad that you were able to get his surgery done well he is still young . His age and the fact that his curve was in the 80's sure gave him a great reduction with it now being only in the low forty's. 20 to 40 is a normall curve so he really did get a great correction. I was just wanting to know if your son had to have anterior and posteral surgery and if so did he have to have a chest tube after the surgery. Or were they able to correct this kyphosis by just going in threw the back?
I wish I could have had surgery when I was younger but I never went to the doctor untill I was 35. My curve was 110 or a little more and it was reduced down to 53. I did have the anterior/posterior surgery done. All I know is if I were a little younger when I had the surgery the curve would not have goton so bad and the recovery would have been a whole lot easier. You are a great mother to have stayed on top of this, alot of mothers or family would never look twice about. The surgery has come a long way compared to ten and twenty years ago.

Buffalowilliam
15th September 2008, 11:20 AM
There's nothing unusual about an increase of activity causing an increase in pain. He'll be fine. Even a few months after my surgery I'd be pain free for days and days, then do a little bit more than I was used to and suddenly be absolutley exhausted and in pain. Really nothing to worry about