PDA

View Full Version : Post OP Report from teebee

teebee
30th August 2008, 07:49 PM
Hello All!
My son's surgery on 8/21 went very well. The hardest part for me was the over 10 hours in the waiting room. Thankfully, due to many donations, the waiting room is much improved from the last time I saw it! There were computers with internet access, a flat screen, high def TV and wonderfully comfortalbe recliner chairs.

Anyway, my son went into surgery with an 88 degree kyphosis and the post operative x-ray indicated correction to about 47 degrees. This is amazing as he was 70 degrees 4 years ago when he was diagnosed.

We're about 10 days post op and he is discharged from the hospital, navigating stairs well and walking 3 - 10 minute walks a day at the moment. Next week, we'll make them 15 minutes. He does very well for about 6 minutes and begins to get winded then. It amazes me, as he is/was in excellent physical shape before surgery, swimming 2 hours/day 5 days/week. Needless to say, this surgery has taken its toll on him physically. Good thing he was strong going into it.

He had no neurological bells or whistles during surgery and is fine now, although he cannot make a muscle in his right bicep. The doctors believe this is just from swelling/inflammation or pressure, as they did not involve the portion of his spine that controls that area of his body in surgery. I believe that as he heals, the swelling goes down and he becomes stronger, he will regain strength in that arm.

Thank you to all who encouraged me prior to my son's surgery.

I'll keep you updated as he progresses.

tb

kidz taxi
30th August 2008, 10:06 PM
Glad to hear your son is doing so well,wishing him a speedy recovery

sins
30th August 2008, 10:54 PM
This is very good news, it seems like he's doing exceptionally well in such a short time.
Sins

magnumlady
30th August 2008, 10:55 PM
Thats great news, best wishes to you and your son.

Amazed Jean
31st August 2008, 02:57 AM
Great news! Now be sure to get some rest yourself and perhaps a glass of wine!

GillyG
31st August 2008, 07:05 PM
Wow, fantastic news :clap: I hope he continues to go from strength to strength :D

Little Ali
1st September 2008, 02:45 PM
:clap::niceone: Congratulations! I'm chuffed to hear everything's gone so well.

Good luck for a continued speedy recovery! x

mark
1st September 2008, 06:03 PM
Briliant news, here's wishing you a pain free speedy recovery

clairabella68
3rd September 2008, 10:47 PM
Oh wow,that is fantastic. Pleased to know all went well. Hope he regains his arm strength back soon, With much regards, Claire xx

Buffalowilliam
15th September 2008, 11:48 AM
Sounds like your son is doing great and he's going to be fine! Glad to hear it

Simon
15th September 2008, 01:15 PM
Fantastic news that your son is on his way to a full recovery ....

teebee
29th December 2008, 09:41 PM
Hello all! Here we are, 4 months post op...so hard to believe. My son is recovering very, very well. He is swimming and gaining strength daily. His arm is getting stronger and we have an appointment to follow up on his recovery next Monday.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

tb

GillyG
29th December 2008, 10:17 PM
Good luck with the appointment, it sounds as though he's doing brilliantly - thanks for the update :D

Louisse
30th December 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi tb,
glad to hear that your son is doing so well - its always pleasing to read good reports of how well people are doing post op on this board. Good luck for the check up appointment.
I'm coming up to 4 months post op myself - I'm a tad bit(!) older than your lad so things have improved a little slower, but nonetheless, I'm getting on ok and improving all the time - just feel very sore and quite 'stiff and achey' all the time.
Best wishes for the new Year - here's to a healthy, happy 2009
Louisse