PDA

View Full Version : Pain Management Clinic

alyssa
29th August 2008, 07:04 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me what going to a pain clinic involves. Because I don't really know and Mr Lam (my surgeon) said he would refer me if I required it. Do they help you manage your pain in certain ways? I have been in more pain ever since I've been on holiday now because of the beds I have been sleeping on. The swimming was quite good for my back but I couldn't stand it for long as the coldness made my chest hurt (had surgery on my chest for those of you who didn't know) =(

Thanks lots,

Lyssie xx

mark
29th August 2008, 07:16 PM
Ahh Alyssa, sorry i can't help much as i don't know any pain clinics and i don't know what treatments they may offer, i just wanted to say i'm here for you from an emotional support point of view and i always will, have you considered physio or the gym or some other keep fit type prorogramme that will help your distressed muscles

Cassie
29th August 2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear you are still in pain - it's horrid isn't it. I've been through the Pain Management clinics at my local hospital and at the RNOH. They offer a variety of treatments, from medication, facet joint injections, physical and hydro-therapy, gym work, psychotherapy etc.

The pain consultant in RNOH told me to look at this link: http://www.britishpainsociety.org/patient_pain_clinics.htm and then this one: http://www.britishpainsociety.org/patient_pmp.htm to see what I thought about a 3 week intensive in patient programme. You could have a look at that and see if it sounds helpful? I did ring them back to say 'yes' but that was a year ago and I've heard nothing despite ringing and writing! I hope you get better treatment and that something works for you. I am trying new pills today, so fingers crossed!

Good luck and take care, :squeeze: xx

alyssa
29th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Thank you so much Mark, you're a great friend <(hug)> Yep I am going to be joining my college Gym (it's really nice) to tone myself up and get my back strengthened too. Mr Lam said that it would help when my mum asked if toning up would help and he said yes anything like that would help.

Cassie - Thank you for the links I will check them out right away. I know where you are coming from, back pain is horrible I wouldn't wish it on anyone to suffer. Let alone Scoliosis. I now have osteoarthritis in my spine due to the Scoliosis taking its toll, this is what Mr Lam has told me. I'm only 19 for goodness sakes. So thank you very much for that. I see my surgeon at the London Bridge Hospital.

Lyssie xx

violasmith
15th October 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Lyssie
I think pain management varies from authority to authority. I live in Devon and my pain management clinic was a series of meetings with a lady (also with scoliosis) that looked at the psychology of pain. It was interesting, emotionally painful (I'm 46 with a bit more baggage than I'd like), and actually very helpful. The gym is a really good way of getting those muscles pro-active. I do some cardio/stamina work (not a lot, just enough), and then I go into the weights room. Very light weights, do the exercises really slowly, so you know exactly how the muscles work. I love weights (but the treadmill is like watching paint dry). Good luck