PDA

View Full Version : Admitting you have scoliosis

Amazed Jean
19th October 2004, 03:00 AM
I just wanted every single one of you to know how proud I am to know you. It isn't easy to admit being different. It can be truly uncomfortable and somewhat embarassing. You all do such a sterling job of discussing your various curves and accompanying pains, weaknesses, problems etc. It truly makes me proud that you share your lives with me. I know it takes courage. Thanks.

Kayla
19th October 2004, 03:31 AM
No, thank you for joining I love SSO it has helped me become more....reassuring that the world will be ok with me not being exactly right SSO has also helped me get out of deep depressions

Lieve
19th October 2004, 10:03 AM
I'm glad there exists a forum such as this one where we can discuss and ask everything about it without to be embarassed and where we can share mutual feelings and ask a hug when you are feeling a little depressed. Thanks to start with this wonderful SSO and I'm very pleased I can join all of this.

Kaja
19th October 2004, 02:32 PM
I am so grateful for all of this, and I can't even imagine not being on here! :squeeze: My second little world..
We're all pretty brave, aren't we :D It sure changes our lifes.

Becky
19th October 2004, 04:28 PM
iv learnt so much from this site, just reading ppls different experiences teaches me more about scoliosis, and that not everyones is like mine!

Abbi
19th October 2004, 04:30 PM
yeah, im so grateful for SSO and other scoli fourms....cos like when I was first diagnosed i was like ok so what is it? and why and how did i get it and im a freak....I didnt think as many ppl that have it have it, if you no what i mean, I thought it was a rare condition, just cos I have never heard of it!
So yeah, thnx very much for your continued support, you guys rock!
I still havent got round to telling my teacher or other peers (apart from close ones)

Marti
19th October 2004, 05:56 PM
Abbi, I was officially diagnosed in 6th grade, and I didn't tell anyone until the end of eighth grade, a good 4 months after I got my surgery date. And only 2 months before my surgery.

Abbi
19th October 2004, 06:12 PM
thats cool! i dnt like to tell ppl...cos i do get slagged a lot sometimes
and i dont want ppl to feel like i want them to pitty me or feel like i am attention seeking....or whatever!
I have told two close friends in collge and they r ok about it!
I told another girl i used to work with and she was like uhhhh yuck....this is how a convo went (her name is cassie)

Cassie ~ (lookin at me for a while) ~ uhhh
Abbi ~ What?
Cassie ~look at your back?
Abbi ~ awe cass just leave it today, im nt in the mood
Cassie ~ no i mean i didnt mean to slag u cos of your back, its just u have got so skinny since u came back from Romania
Abbi ~ yeah, i have, but u didnt mean it like that u meant it in the other way, u wer talking about my back
Cassie ~ oh look how it sticks out (refering to my shoulder), can i touch it...uhhhh yuck!
so yeah! thats that! does anyone else get slagged....or whatever you call it in other countries....?

butterflylr
19th October 2004, 07:11 PM
When I first found out my sister used to walk around like the hunchback of Notre Dame and say "Lindsay...this is you when you grow up!"

I don't think she realized how insensitive she was being. She was still young. And she didn't know that it could cause serious medical problems or that I might have to get a rod in my back. I forgive her for that. I try not to hold grudges to people for being ignorant. :P

sins
19th October 2004, 07:22 PM
Thank God I'm an only child........no siblings to hassle me.
Although I now have a lippy daughter who makes up for it.
When my husband told my son he'd grow up like his Dad....he innocently added...and you'll grow up like your mom.......
Little Miss replied:....."what"? "Fat and with a hump"???
She spent the evening in her bedroom........
:evil:

Kaja
19th October 2004, 07:29 PM
:-o :-o :nut:

Liv
19th October 2004, 07:51 PM
Your kids are lovely, Sinead! :roll:

Yeah, it's not easy to accept the fact that you're different, and I find it hard to share it with people who know nothing about scoliosis and about what you've been through. I'm not very open about it... Only my family, my flatmates and my closest friends know about my scoliosis and the surgery. Don't get wrong.. I'd love to tell my story to people! But they just don't ask. :-?

BlueIce
19th October 2004, 07:57 PM
I don't make a big problem out of my scoliosis, but it depends on where I am and how I feel that day. I learned to live with the fact that I'll always have a hump (unless I go for costoplasty but you know what I mean). It does get to me sometimes, like this evening for example. My right shoulder is hurting (don't know why, I didn't do anything to it) and that just makes me very aware of the fact that I'll never be able to do everything myself. But yeah, everyone has his own problems so I shouldn't complain (too much)

Becky
19th October 2004, 08:03 PM
I dont really care about what ppl think, and i also show a lot of ppl! ppl just arent aware of it and are suprised when i tell them about scoliosis. everyone i have told have been supportive or just not said anything at all, if they called be then id just give um wot for! :thwack:

I have quite a laugh about my scoli, if i tell someone and they dont understand or dont know what to say, i just say "in other words my spines bent!" it may seem inapropriate to some ppl, and i hope i havent offended anyone, but i deal with it by laughing it off, otherwise id just get upset!

butterflylr
19th October 2004, 08:12 PM
I'm with you licle_angel! I tell people my spine does curley cues! Most of them have no idea that your spine can even curve like that! Laughter sometimes really is the best medicine.

Thaleias spirit
19th October 2004, 10:30 PM
Whilst it would be great if i could always stick to my belief that "if someone cant cope with how I look, then thats there problem" as things go...its always easier said than done... :roll:

I know growing up I was always concious of the fact that my left arm was shorter and missing a thumb..maybe became more concious the older i got...

i was always tiny and young looking...i just never relised how much so til i was about 19...when i started going out... i dont even remember being that concious / aware of how my back really looked...but i knew all the tricks for fixing the different hem lengths, so i suppose i was blocking it out...

but in my 20s, i became more aware of exactly how different I was from everybody else... the height, the young face and voice, the spine, the arm...and that was just the things you could see... and it hasnt gotten much easier...

no sorry, it has...finding people who also had the same spine problem and maybe other problems on top of it all meant i didnt feel so lost... and that somebody would have some idea exactly how hard somedays could be...you know, the days when you feel like screaming your head off at people who even make a backward glance at you... that for just one split second that you dont stick out like a sore thumb...

for me, its for people to remember for me for something other than my physical descriptions...im not exactly forgetable...sometimes i would love for someone not to have a clue who i was after someone described what i look like... silly really...but nevertheless...

BarmyArmy
19th October 2004, 10:58 PM
My curve isn't noticable so I've never had the type of hassle that some of you have had. What you do notice is that when I'm really in pain I have trouble bending or getting up from a seat. Sometimes I can't walk properly as it hurts when I try to left my legs. I also walk really slow so it's those clues that people pick up and think that I'm not like the majority. But hey who wants to be like everyone else. :D If anyone asks then I'm quite upfront about it and I'm quite happy to answer any questions that people may have but it's not something that I'll tell someone when I first meet then.

When I'm with my close friends or family I have a habit of refering to myself as wonky and I am very open about how I'm feeling and what I'm going through. Since meeting all you guys on here I'm more confident about my condition and will openly say that I have scolioisis and that I have a couple of mild curves in my spine. Before joining this wonderful family I alway just said that I had a bad back and refused to go into more info.

I love this place :jump:

Amazed Jean
20th October 2004, 01:46 AM
You guys make me smile everyday! I'm proud to be your friend. The world is wonky. I think we are just the finest bunch aren't we?

butterflylr
20th October 2004, 01:49 AM
Why yes, we are! ;-)

Joy
20th October 2004, 02:02 AM
I don't tell people unless they ask or I have to. (ei phys. ed teachers). I mean I don't ty to keep it secret really but I don't go up to people and say "Hi! I have scoliosis!' So I guess not that many people know. All my friends knew when I had surgery but I don't talk to many of the anymore... We grew apart. Most of the people at school don't know. My riding coach does. And I think my math teacher because I was in a very bad mood after physio once and she was considerate enough to notice and ask why....

I'm rambling. Sorry I was up late last night.

lindzi_11
20th October 2004, 09:36 PM
I don't tell people i have scoliosis... If they notice it or say something about it then i'll mention it.. but other than that I don't tell many people.

sins
20th October 2004, 09:45 PM
I agree with you Linzi,
There's no obligation to tell anyone about your medical History.If someone asks then that's ok but nobody should feel that they need to tell someone that they have scoliosis.I believe it's noone's business but your own.That may sound harsh but unless it's a very noticable scoliosis or someone asks you there's no need to volunteer information.
Sins.

Amazed Jean
22nd October 2004, 05:05 PM
I know I don't owe anybody an explanation and don't offer unless they just stare. With little kids I have the oxygen cannula to start with so I can say "It just helps me breathe."And I take it off for a few seconds to show them. But adults who stare make me crazy. Some days I want to tell them to get a life. Other days I want to get a life!

jfkimberly
22nd October 2004, 08:28 PM
I can't exactly keep my condition a secret, due to the severity of my d-word. But whether or not I explain to people what's wrong varies from one situation to the next. I was working at my last job for about 18 months before I ever explained to anybody what was wrong with me.

BarmyArmy
22nd October 2004, 08:58 PM
I actually admited to having scoliosis on another discussion board yesterday. :-) I was so happy about finding that link about the Deenie movie that I posted it in the lounge of a hockey site that I'm a mod on. I thought it was a good way to start my thread about my back. I had only told a couple of friends on there through PM that I had scoliosis but I had previously hinted on the board at my back problems and that I took painkillers. I decided that since I'm helping run the site that I would tell my friends a wee bit more about me and I'm glad I did. :D I actually felt a bit relieved that I told them which is weird since I've never met any of these people face to face and I'm not likely to since most of them live in Southern California.

But it felt good anyway :D

Amazed Jean
22nd October 2004, 09:15 PM
Barmy Army Good Job! I 'm glad it made you feel better to share with your hockey buddies. By the way what it the name of God does Barmy Army mean?

Liv
22nd October 2004, 09:18 PM
It has something to do with ice hockey, if I remember it right... Leoooona? :D

BarmyArmy
22nd October 2004, 09:36 PM
Yep Barmy Army is hockey related :D Okay long story coming up, most of you can skip this as you're heard this story before.

First of all the word barmy means loopy, mad or demented. Which is very appropiate for me :hunny:
The coach of our local hockey team (Dundee Stars) was Tony Hand and we used to chant "Tony Hand's Barmy Army, Tony Hand's Barmy Army" at the games meaning the mad followers of Tony Hand. When Tony left we then started Roger Hunt's Barmy Army :D I loved this chant and when I was trying to pick a username for my work's discussion board, I wanted to go with a hockey one that no one else would have so I picked Barmy Army. I liked it so much that I use it on several boards. :D

I'm a bit of a hockey geek :spin:

Amazed Jean
26th October 2004, 09:38 PM
I like to watch hockey and actually Oklahoma City has a team called The Blazers. I've gone to a couple games but my husband hates hockey. I try to watch it on tv when he's not around. He likes james Bond movies.. Uck! Hockey actually reminds me of soccer and I love soccer! (I know that Americans usually don't like real football but I prefer it to our football here.

BarmyArmy
26th October 2004, 10:20 PM
I love Bond too :D Sir Sean was my fav *drools all over the keyboard* I just read a review copy of a teenage book that's a first in a series of young bond stories called Silverfin, it comes out here in March. I wasn't that keen on it as I thought it was too slow and dull :ph34r: Fleming was way way better :rox: