PDA

View Full Version : my sos pics

caro
24th August 2008, 08:24 PM
Before and after pictures following treatment at scoliosis sos clinic.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/sinni/scoliosis.jpg

caro
25th August 2008, 04:16 PM
sorry there are so small. I scanned them at my parents and can't seem to get them any better. Anyway...better than nothing!

carolad
25th August 2008, 04:47 PM
Wow, thats pretty impressive! Us sceptics may have to have a rethink about SOS! You must be delighted at the results :D

How are you feeling these days? Are you finding it easy enough to do the exercises at home? And did you ever get your bar installed at home?

caro
25th August 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks! I am really pleased. My wall bars were fitted on Tues so am much happier now I can get on with my exercises properly. I was beginning to feel quite 'compressed'. I still have that nerve pain in my hip but am fine. I also feel much happier and more confident in myself. My back had caused a real loss of self-confidence.

Amazed Jean
25th August 2008, 07:58 PM
Glad you are happy with the results! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

jfkimberly
25th August 2008, 09:45 PM
Wow! That really does look fabulous! That's just from learning to hold yourself differently?

magnumlady
25th August 2008, 09:46 PM
That is really impressive. Delighted for you.

titch
25th August 2008, 09:56 PM
It's great to see the improvement in coronal balance that you've gained - I'm sure that must help with comfort, quite apart from the cosmetic result.

Hopefully now that you are able to continue your exercises you will continue to have relief. As an aside though, if (and I very much hope not!) you should come to suffer more pain that the exercises are not able to target, I feel that I must say that I find it very difficult to believe that the degree of thoracolumbar prominence you have can come from a curve that is below the size at which surgery is recommended. So, all being well the exercises will be all that you need to maintain your postural correction and improvements in comfort and pain, but if it comes to a point that they are not, don't despair that nothing can be done. I hope that makes sense, and doesn't read as me trying to sell you the idea of surgery, as it's not at all what I mean.

Anyway, it's really fantastic to see your pictures, thank you so much for sharing them :)

Emily-Evanopsi
26th August 2008, 12:40 PM
thats brilliant! Like I've said somewhere before, can't remember where, they must be doing something right!
Hope it helps in the long run :)

GloomCookie
26th August 2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, how much straighter do you look?! That's fantastic, your whole posture must have been really changed with those exercises - I'm so pleased you got such good results.

caro
26th August 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

I appreciate your advice Titch. And you are right - my lumbar prominence is bad - I have a lot of rotation but my cobb is only 30 degrees according to x-rays taken just under a year ago & the consultant will not operate - he has discharged me. As you say the pain from that may well worsen in which case I will go back to him. I definately had much worse rotation than many of the patients at the SOS clinic despite the fact that I had a milder curve and I believe that most of this rotation occured during and just after pregnancy.

Sandman77
29th August 2008, 08:47 PM
Looks fab. :)

I am sure you might even with time decrease your 30 curve seeing you have gained height allready. Your spine is still agile :)

Sealy
29th August 2008, 09:33 PM
Your post made me think about bone remodeling. I read a while back about osteoblast and osteoclast activities and it was much too technical. According to Wikipedia ( not the most reliable source ):

Bone remodeling is a life long process where old bone (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/wiki/Bone) is removed from the skeleton (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/wiki/Skeleton) (a sub-process called bone resorption) and new bone is added (a sub-process called bone formation). These processes also control the reshaping or replacement of bone during growth (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/wiki/Growth) and following injuries. Remodeling responds to functional demands and muscle attachments. As a result bone is added where needed and removed where it is not required.
In the first year of life, almost 100% of the skeleton is replaced. In adults, remodeling proceeds at about 10% per year

caro
30th August 2008, 08:33 PM
sounds interesting if I have got my head round it. Wonder if it has been used to treat scoliosis ever?

GillyG
31st August 2008, 05:35 PM
Your posture really does look much more aligned in the 'after' photo Caro, you must be thrilled with the results :D I hope you can manage to maintain the balance, have you thought of trying the Alexander Technique to help with this? It's something I keep meaning to look into myself ...

caro
31st August 2008, 07:09 PM
Thnaks Gilly. I think if I can keep up with my exercises I'll be able to maintain my corrected position.
Something really simple that just reminds me how to stand is too stand with a bean bag on my head, hands on hip, and then to do deep breath in and out whilst standing tall.
I have to do 30 mins of exercise, plus I really need to fit some 'normal' exercise in as well so I can still eat chcolate - so thin I'd struggle to fit much else in what with work & toddler!

Lucy7
1st September 2008, 06:17 PM
Wow this is the first time I've seen your pics. Thanks so much for posting. It must feel great to do something for yourself and for it appear to be working. I try and keep an open mind to most things although the most intrepid I have been is muscle activation therapy.

Keep well Caro and thanks again for posting these.

Lucy xx

caro
2nd September 2008, 07:49 PM
ohhhh have never heard of that Lucy - tell us more!

Unregistered
14th September 2008, 07:48 PM
wow thats great! :)

i have scoliosis the curve is 35 .. the dr. said that i just have to do some streching exercises and i will see him after 6 months to decide weather i need a surgery or not! my back in pain form like 2 months till now :S i donno what to do ..shall i wait until the next examination which is after 6 months or i go to that clinic now??

i wanna ask u about the SOS clinic ..i sent them an email already but they didnt reply yet :(
plz can u tell me how was it there? how many patients in every group ? did u enjoy it or it was hard on u?? how much did it cost u?

so many questions i know lol sorry but i really need ur help ..thax ;)

mark
15th September 2008, 08:05 PM
Don't worry about the questions, thats why we are here to try and help you on your journey

take care

mark

caro
15th September 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi!

I'll try to answer your questions - please ask whatever you need!

I went in August as I am a teacher and needed to go during the school hols. This is the clinic's busiest period. There were 3 groups and in my group there were 8 of us. (If you went in Novemebr for example I think it would be much quieter). We had 1 main physio plus another who helped us. Each course lasts 4 weeks and you do 5 days a week - 10am-5pm. Its very hard work and very tiring! The exercises are quite complicated to explain. Because everyone has slightly different scoliotic positions we all had slightly different variations on the exercises.

I now have to do 30 mins of my specific exercises that the physio picked out for me every day.

It is very expensive- 2,400 plus the equipment - roughly 400. Also you'll need to pay for accommodation. You can't claim it on NHS. But I do feel that it was worht it for me. Lots of the younger patients had fantastic results as their bones were more supple than my old (38 year) frame!

I would give them a ring and see about going for an initial consultation (which is free) to see what they say about your back and so you can ask them lots of questions and see what you think for yourself.

I hope I have been some help - please feel free to ask more!

Essi
19th November 2008, 10:18 AM
caro, i can't see your result pictures. :(
i'm 15 years old and i also went to sos, i should see if i can upload my pictures.

i really, really enjoyed my time there.
i would love to talk to you about your treatment sometime. (:

sins
19th November 2008, 12:49 PM
Hi essi,
the link to caro's pics are broken.(my fault). I have pm'd Caro to ask her to resend the photos and we'll put them back up as soon as we can.
if you want to add your photos you can set up an account with a site like photobucket and you can upload your photos to photobucket and then you can post a link to them on sso.
alternatively you can e mail them to me at fabian@iol.ie and I can add them for you.I never keep anyone's pictures and delete them once they've been hosted.(Which is why caro needs to resend)
Welcome to sso and i hope you find the site both useful and enjoyable.
Sins

Essi
20th November 2008, 05:14 AM
Hi essi,
the link to caro's pics are broken.(my fault). I have pm'd Caro to ask her to resend the photos and we'll put them back up as soon as we can.
if you want to add your photos you can set up an account with a site like photobucket and you can upload your photos to photobucket and then you can post a link to them on sso.
alternatively you can e mail them to me at fabian@iol.ie and I can add them for you.I never keep anyone's pictures and delete them once they've been hosted.(Which is why caro needs to resend)
Welcome to sso and i hope you find the site both useful and enjoyable.
Sins

thanks so much for your help. :D