PDA

View Full Version : supplements for pain relief

carolad
21st August 2008, 03:55 PM
I was thinking about trying some natural supplements for pain relief - two I've heard can help with back pain are glucosamine and Devil's Claw.

Has anyone tried these (or anything else) and do you think it helped?

jasper79
21st August 2008, 04:19 PM
I had a lot of relief from using GLA. I believe it is because helps with inflamation.
I also take alfalfa for the same reason.
I can't use glucosamine because of allergies but I have friends who use it for knee pain and find it very helpful.

Amazed Jean
21st August 2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with the glucosamineuse. My mother who is almost 90 was given some years ago and still takes it for joint pain - mostly her knee pain and it appears to have really helped .

Lucy7
21st August 2008, 05:43 PM
My doctor told me to give up dairy products for a while and that REALLY has helped me. I make sure I take calcium to make up for the that loss but I can say that my joints are far less inflammed. I used to be a cheese addict but i will never see dairy the same again.

titch
21st August 2008, 09:54 PM
Glucosamine I find fantastic - it's not so much that I notice that while I'm taking it, but skip it for a few weeks and I start wondering what I've done to deserve being so creaky!

If you're not veggie, then fish oil, fish oil and more fish oil!

I took Devil's Claw a few years ago, and had a very bizarre reaction to it, that I have never read or heard of anyone else having. It made me very rapidly suicidally depressed!! This has to be an extremely unusual thing, or they couldn't possibly continue selling it, but oh my have I been nervous about trying anything new since then :lol: I also found that Evening Primrose Oil (a source of GLA) was a disaster for me when I last took it - I was on anti-inflammatory drugs (probably diclofenac, but possibly naproxen) at the time, and it basically seemed to completely counter the effect. About the only thing I could put it down to is that it raises prostaglandin levels whereas NSAIDs reduce them, but again, it's not something I've heard of happening to anyone else. All I do know is I was in a major state within a few weeks of starting them, and returned to a manageable state of pain once I stopped taking them. EPO never caused me to have pain when I was pain free and not taking NSAIDs though, so again I'd not in any way suggest that someone else shouldn't take it - it's more just I thought I'd share the experience as it shows how odd interactions can be, and how unexpected. It's probably worth keeping a diary when trying out supplements that will most likely have either a subtle effect, or a cumulative effect so that it is difficult to see whether they have worked until you can use hindsight.

No idea if it works or if it would be of any use to us lot, but I remember my friend, who has very severe psoriatic arthritis (and is actually a member here as he has kyphosis and possibly scoliosis as a consequence of the arthritis, so hello Ash if you ever read this ;)) having a book called The Arthritis Diet. A chap I've bumped into at a few sci fi conventions always tells me not to eat potatoes and only limited amounts of any plant of the nightshade family (which includes tomatoes). Personally it doesn't seem to work, but again might be worth a thought, and perhaps could be assessed by keeping a pain diary that also lists your food intake.

Anyway, glucosamine and fish oil are my top two :)

carolad
22nd August 2008, 10:40 AM
Brilliant - thanks for your replies :D

I am a vegetarian but I already take flaxseed oil capsules, which I believe are a reasonable veggie alternative to fish oil.

Think I'll avoid the Devils Claw and Evening Primrose Oil after your experiences Titch! Thats interesting about avoiding certain foods too, never thought of that. I would find it very hard to give up dairy foods though, I don't think my life would be worth living without cheese and yoghurt :disap:

This glucosamine sounds like it works for quite a few people so I think Ill try that first and see how I get on.

Thanks x

Thaleias spirit
22nd August 2008, 02:13 PM
Just curious but are you taking any other medications?
I assume not when you haven't mentioned them.

Reason I ask is anytime I've considered using supplements I check with my pharmacist first. My reason is I'm already on quite a lot of medication and I know I can't take somethings around the same time as it interferes with absorbtion etc.

This link mentions about possible interactions etc:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsInteractions/0,3926,4055%7CGlucosamine,00.html

Lucy7
22nd August 2008, 02:26 PM
Chele raises a good point about interaction with drugs. Check it out.

I know what you mean about dairy stuff. i used to be a cheese addict and it was very tough for me to stop ( cheese literally found itself into EVERY meal I had). But the doctor was very firm with me and I figured I should try it. I chated in a way becuase I switched to vegetarian cheese when the cravings got too much. I tried so many really yukky ones first but I finally found one I liked that is actually made locally.

I also am starting to use flaxeed oil as it is supposed to help balance out hormones. I have to say I hate the taste but I just take it like medicine!

GloomCookie
22nd August 2008, 05:04 PM
Make sure you get veggie Glucosamine if you're a "proper" veggie, it's made from shellfish. I was going to recommend chondroitin as well as the two work really well together but I think that's made from bone as well :woe:

There is a sulphur that's meant to be good, I think it's MSM?

*Googles*

Yes, MSM.

Cassie
22nd August 2008, 08:52 PM
I often buy stuff from Higher Nature and have always been happy with them. They do a Vegetarian Glucosamine Hydrochloride,
http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=109 (http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=109) they also do MSM in cream, Tablet or powder form.

Their flaxseed oil is very good. :)
xx

jasper79
23rd August 2008, 12:48 AM
I can't do the glucosamine because of a shellfish allergy.

Has anyone heard if taking fish oil can be a problem with someone allergic to shellfish? I know the allergy has something to do with fish protein...
I really liked GLA but have not taken it since being on NSAIDS on a regular basis.

GloomCookie
23rd August 2008, 02:43 PM
I can't do the glucosamine because of a shellfish allergy.

Has anyone heard if taking fish oil can be a problem with someone allergic to shellfish? I know the allergy has something to do with fish protein...
I really liked GLA but have not taken it since being on NSAIDS on a regular basis.

Hi Jasper :)

Generally speaking, fish and shellfish are from different "families" so there theoretically shouldn't be a problem BUT having said that, there are considerations like fish bone contamination and cross contamination between fish oil and something like Glucosamine if they're made in the same place.

I'm a strict veggie and take other oils for GLA - evening primose and starflower (safflower) oils are very high in GLA and flaxseed oil actually contains more omega 3 than fish, and also omega 6 and omega 9. You can buy supplements that are a mix of these oils, which is what I take.

[/Holland & Barrett Training!!)

GloomCookie
23rd August 2008, 02:44 PM
I often buy stuff from Higher Nature and have always been happy with them. They do a Vegetarian Glucosamine Hydrochloride,
http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=109 (http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=109) they also do MSM in cream, Tablet or powder form.

Their flaxseed oil is very good. :)
xx

Ooh, cheers for the linkage, Cassie :D

I buy from Healthy Direct but sometimes struggle with the fact that they seem to stop and start their veggie capsules!

jasper79
23rd August 2008, 03:15 PM
thanks for the info. I had a reaction once to the use of 'sea salt' in home made bread and it really scared me. I know it could have something to do with how it is harvested. So now I am uneasy with any from the ocean....

Sounds like flaxseed oil is something I should look into. NSAIDS cause me rebound migraines so I have to be careful using.

GloomCookie
23rd August 2008, 03:48 PM
Yikes, that must have been terrifying! I think steering well clear of fish oil is probably for the best in that case, you can just never be sure about contamination...

This is the omega complex I force my other half to take -

Omega 3, 6 & 9 (http://www.healthydirect.com/product/O369O/d.jsf)

and if it's GLA you're after then I think this Starflower Oil supplement is very high in it -

Starflower/Borage Oil (http://www.healthydirect.com/product/GLAUL/d.jsf)

carolad
25th August 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your replies - what a knowledgable bunch you are :D

Thaleias Spirit - I was on diclofenac but stopped taking that because it gave me a dodgy stomach. I have been taking co-dydromol for some time but I find that it now has little effect, and again, it sometimes makes me feel sick if I have too many of them. I'd really prefer not to take any drug long-term if I can find an alternative - which is why I'm looking into supplements, TENS machine etc.

But yes, I will check that it is safe enough to combine the glucosamine and co-dydromol - my brother is a pharmacist so that comes in handy!

titch
25th August 2008, 09:49 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it is safe to take co-dydramol and glucosamine, but it'll be interesting to hear what your brother has to say.

Regarding diclofenac, ask your brother about arthrotec (or indeed about taking the misoprostol separately) - it's a form of diclofenac that is often prescribed for, as the name suggests, arthritis sufferers, where there is need to take it long term at moderate to high doses. Misoprostol is absolutely not to be taken if you're not taking adequate precautions to prevent pregnancy, but I believe it is effective in reducing or preventing the stomach issues.

Regarding the co-dydramol, if you haven't tried co-codamol, it's worth considering that - some people find that swapping between the painkillers on a periodic basis is beneficial. You might also find that nefopam would work for you, although Gilly can vouch to how nasty it is if you're sensitive to it. I found it absolutely fantastic though, and as you know I've had some oddball side effects from other things.

It's worth keeping your eyes peeled for special offers in Holland and Barrett - the glucosamine 1000mg tablets are often heavily reduced, which is when I buy them in bulk :)