PDA

View Full Version : TENS machine

carolad
19th August 2008, 04:01 PM
Anyone used a TENS machine for pain relief?

My lovely NHS physio has discharged me, saying she cannot do anything else for me...I was fairly sure she was going to say this, but I have to admit I do feel a bit disappointed :disap:

So now its just a case of trying different methods of pain relief. My physio suggested a TENS machine - and she has booked me in for a session with another physio next week to find out how it works. I then get to try it for 2 weeks and can order one through them if it helps. Just wondered if anyone had tried this and what they thought of it?

clairabella68
19th August 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi

My daughter is using a TENS machine (the ones physio loan out to you). It has made a vast difference to her and she uses it everyday. My advice - when you buy, buy the one with 4 packs of pads as you can get through loads of them! Another bit of advice: don't be tempted to buy one of those from Lloyds chemist! We bought one because it was 15 so I thought I would be saving loads of money! To be honest, I thought they were all very much the same, but NO!!! We ended up having to buy the one from PHYSIOMED anyway (about 50 I think it was - worth every penny if it gives you pain relief)!! Katie is dependent on hers now for pain relief. She isnt too keen on taking medication so, loves hers!! (Surgery Sept/Oct)!!

Good luck. I hope you get as much pain relief from yours as Katie does. With love, Claire xx

GillyG
19th August 2008, 11:31 PM
I tried one on loan via my physio and I think it was helping some, but unfortunately I developed an allergy to the regular pads and the hypo-allergenic ones didn't allow a strong enough signal through to give me pain relief :(

Provided you're OK with the pads, you should do well with one, bit I would second the advice to buy from Physiomed, my physio said the the ones you buy from Boots etc don't have the anywhere near the same output.

carolad
20th August 2008, 10:20 AM
Claire - thats great your daughter has had such good relief from it. Thats given me back some hope that I can get this pain under control :D I'm not keen on going down the painkiller route either if I can help it, so if this works I'll be delighted.

Gilly - what a shame you were allergic to the pads - you must be a delicate wee critter ;). Interesting too that you both say there is a big difference between machines - I would have assumed they were all the same.

Can't wait to next week to try it!

Lucy7
20th August 2008, 11:19 PM
I have to say TENS did not really help me much. However, I only did it at the physio's office. Maybe with a home one performed on a regular basis it would be better. Good luck and let us know if it helps.

carolad
21st August 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Lucy

What a shame it didn't work for you. It does seem to be a very individual thing - my physio said it helps some people, does nothing for some others, and some people absolutely hate the sensation and can't tolerate it at all!

So I wonder which category I will fall into? :boggle: I'll know next week I suppose! I'll let you know how I get on....

Joy
23rd August 2008, 05:44 PM
I used one at my physio appointments, and it really helped me.

carolad
26th August 2008, 04:21 PM
Well I now have my TENS machine on trial for a couple of weeks. Very strange sensation - I'm not quite sure what I think of it yet!

What was strange was when the physio put the pads on my arms to demonstrate how it worked, and put it on a higher setting - I could see the muscles contracting all the way down to my hand and my finger started twitching. It felt and looked very strange!!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying it out properly over the next 2 weeks - I'll let you know how I get on :)

GillyG
31st August 2008, 06:42 PM
What was strange was when the physio put the pads on my arms to demonstrate how it worked, and put it on a higher setting - I could see the muscles contracting all the way down to my hand and my finger started twitching. It felt and looked very strange!!

He he, I know exactly what you mean! I used to be able to set mine up so that the whole of one side twitched - it really freaked out my workmates :glee:

Unregistered
8th September 2008, 03:19 AM
we have a TENS unit called an "energy wellness machine" It comes with a variety of pads, and works great for pain management. It also has metal rods that you can hold if you have sensitivities to the pads. We use it with therapeutic essential oils, and the results are even better.

carolad
8th September 2008, 04:30 PM
Just thought I'd update you on how I've got on with my TENS machine - I think its great :D I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it definitely distracts me from my pain and it means I can sit for longer without needing to get up and stretch and wiggle about! I was on holiday last week and used it a lot when travelling in the car - that would usually be a nightmare for me. What a fabulous invention :mwave:

I'm going back to the physio tomorrow so I suppose I'll have to give it back :( - I'll definitely be ordering one for myself though. Great to have something that helps manage the pain but which doesn't have any side-effects. So I would definitely recommend it - although I know it doesn't work for everyone.

The only thing I have to do now is find something that can help me sleep at night - unfortunately the TENS machine is no use for that!

bluestone
14th September 2008, 07:46 PM
I find tens brilliant for my lower back.I use it when travelling on a long journey-it really helps my lower back.
It doesnt really help much with my curve pain, I cant seem to stand it anywhere but my lower back.
I first tried one from a physio that gave me a course of accupuncture which made me want one!
I bought one from Lloyds chemist and found it to be as good as the one I borrowed from the physio and still use it now.

Unregistered
5th November 2008, 06:37 PM
I have severe scoliosis and just started using a portable TENS yesterday - it's wonderful! I took my dog for a walk last night - pain-free. I had an ablation procedure several weeks ago and it didn't work so I asked for pain patches (also great) and started PT last week. My PT gave me the TENS and so far so good. Try it!

Anyone used a TENS machine for pain relief?

My lovely NHS physio has discharged me, saying she cannot do anything else for me...I was fairly sure she was going to say this, but I have to admit I do feel a bit disappointed :disap:

So now its just a case of trying different methods of pain relief. My physio suggested a TENS machine - and she has booked me in for a session with another physio next week to find out how it works. I then get to try it for 2 weeks and can order one through them if it helps. Just wondered if anyone had tried this and what they thought of it?

alyssa
8th November 2008, 11:04 PM
I think I might actually invest in one when I get payed next week tbh.
I suffer from disc herniation and arthritis, and scoliosis of course... all causing severe pain.
I have seen one in Tchibo for 25 nicker so I am going to be looking around.
I think they'll do them in Boots too wont they?
Yeah I think I will =D Thanks for your advice...

Lyssie xx

GloomCookie
9th November 2008, 04:47 PM
I think I might actually invest in one when I get payed next week tbh.
I suffer from disc herniation and arthritis, and scoliosis of course... all causing severe pain.
I have seen one in Tchibo for 25 nicker so I am going to be looking around.
I think they'll do them in Boots too wont they?
Yeah I think I will =D Thanks for your advice...

Lyssie xx

25? I got mine in Lloyds for 14.99 :D

Clicky Lloyds TENS machines (http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=90&langId=-1&catalogId=1008&searchTerm=TENS+machine&resultCatEntryType=2&searchType=ALL&searchTermCaseSensitive=&searchTermOperator=&filterTerm=&filterType=&filterTermCaseSensitive=&filterTermOperator=&searchTermScope=&catGroupId=&categoryType=ANY&qtyAvailable=&qtyAvailableOperator=&qtyMeasure=&qtyMeasureCaseSensitive=&qtyMeasureOperator=&pageSize=10&beginIndex=&sType=AdvancedSearch&minPrice=&maxPrice=&paged=1&orderBy=StdPriceVwPrice&orderByOperator=ascOperator) :gvibes:

carolad
11th November 2008, 12:29 PM
Thats cheap! I paid about 35 for mine - one recommended by my physio.

It is great though - I find mine a great help, particularly when I have to sit for long periods. I was in Vienna at the weekend and I don't think I could have coped with the travelling if it hadn't been for my TENS machine. Definitely worth giving it a go!

alyssa
12th November 2008, 08:28 PM
Ahh I only just read your post Els and I got that exact same one earlier today. I was getting my prescription done in Lloyds and I saw it and got that. Basically it works wonders =D I even had it on at college today, hehe. thank youuu xx

Scolio-girl
14th November 2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, that's the one. I just got one on Thursday, it's taking the edge off it, but I find it comes back in like an hour or less. But at least it takes the pain away for a little while.

carolad
15th November 2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, that's the one. I just got one on Thursday, it's taking the edge off it, but I find it comes back in like an hour or less. But at least it takes the pain away for a little while.

Yes, that is the only drawback, that the effects don't last. I find mine only helps when I have it on, as soon as I take it off, the pain returns.

Having said that, I still think its great for when I have to sit for any length of time (that is my biggest problem, I'm much better when I can keep moving). I used to avoid any situation that involved sitting (which just about ruled out any sort of social life!) but now I feel I can have a weekend away, and can enjoy going out for a meal, because I put my TENS machine on and that makes the pain bearable.

So its definitely not a magic solution, but I find it helps me manage my condition and allows me to have some sort of normality in my life.

Its evidently not for everyone though - I know Lyssie, Cassie and others have said it didn't help them, or even made their pain worse. So my advice would be to see if you can borrow one for a couple of weeks before you buy one. Also, its important to get advice on how to use it properly from a physio or another health professional - if the pads aren't in the right place, or if the setting is wrong, it won't work, and could actually make the pain worse.

bluestone
8th December 2008, 10:47 PM
I find I can only use my tens machine pads on my lower back.I cant tolerate it on my actual curve (middle back), I find it agravates the pain in the humped area of my back.It is wonderful for lower back pain though-especially on a long journey in the car.

violasmith
10th December 2008, 11:08 PM
I have a TENS machine. I have found it really useful. It alleviates pain rather than stops it, but it gives the brain a rest from having to deal with the pain. I actually got one from the chemist (can't remember the make), and having played with the settings quite a lot, have found it really good.

carrie_483
13th January 2009, 02:20 AM
my physio has recently recommended trying a tens machine although he was a little concerned if it should be used after having surgery. I am fused from T6 to L3 and have 2 rods, i just wondered if anyone know if using a tens is fine even with rods?

thanks!

GillyG
13th January 2009, 10:49 AM
I was given a TENS to try after surgery by my physio. It was working really well but then I became allergic to the gel on the pads and the hypoallergenic ones didn't work for me :(

Anyway, the answer to your question is definitely yes, TENS can safely be use with rods in situ :)