PDA

View Full Version : Thoracolumbar curves

Becky
17th October 2004, 04:53 PM
I was just looking at a site that pikey posted, and it says that to have anterior surgry you will have a thoracolumbar curve, but i thought i had a lumbar because its at the bottom?? im so confused!!

Iv just realised that there are so many questions i need to ask at my next consultation!

tonibunny
17th October 2004, 05:04 PM
Thoracolumbar curves are those that sit in the middle of the spine - so they incorporate both thoracic and lumbar vertebrae.

I'd guess that your curve mostly affects your lumbar vertebrae, but might also affect a couple of the lower thoracic ones, too?

Jonny
17th October 2004, 05:04 PM
A thoracolumbar curve is one that's half in the lumbar bit and half in the thoracic bit. That's rubbish because you can have an anterior surgery on a curve that's anywhere on your spine. However, thoracolumbar and low thoracic curves are the only ones that you can perform minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery on.
Write them all down Becky - otherwise guaranteed you'll forget half of them :-)

Becky
17th October 2004, 05:37 PM
that might just be a good idea jonny, all these terms are so confusing!

Ill prob speak to my consultant next year, and ill prob of got everything completely wrong!

Marti
17th October 2004, 06:13 PM
Yup, what they said. I have/had a thoracolumbar curve. T10-L2.

Thaleias spirit
17th October 2004, 10:37 PM
I know to look at my back the curvature seems to be in the thoracic area because of my kyphoscoliosis...but my medical notes state that the first dignosis of my scoliosis was that my curvature is centred at L2-L3...which is the lumbar region...

and yeah its good idea to get everything down on paper...especilly when theres so many different terms... anytime i get something checkd with the doctor now i get her to write things down so i can try research them later...

Amazed Jean
18th October 2004, 01:19 AM
I never remember all that I want to ask the doctor. I also never remember everything he says so either I take someone with me or I write it down. The doctor sees my notepad and they are pretty patient letting me write down their answers. It helps.

Becky
19th October 2004, 08:19 PM
when i talk to the doctor or consultant i get all nervous, so i decide to write the questions down, and then i just cant read them. it will be better when i have a face to face consultation because then my mum n dad can help me, on the phone it was just me and i was scared!

Kaja
19th October 2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Oct 17 2004, 04:04 PM
However, thoracolumbar and low thoracic curves are the only ones that you can perform minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery on.
Noo? My surgeon said that he'd do one of those on my top curve :???: (that was before I knew it was stabile)

Jonny
19th October 2004, 11:38 PM
I stand corrected :-D anyone got a more accurate version of when minimally invasive anterior surgery can be done?

Kaja
19th October 2004, 11:41 PM
Um. On not too big curves? :D

Marti
19th October 2004, 11:46 PM
i think that's right

Becky
19th October 2004, 11:46 PM
fight, fight, fight!!!

Joy
20th October 2004, 02:04 AM
I don't think they do minimally invasive on curves bigger then 50. But I could be wrong, I'm not sure about that.