PDA

View Full Version : lower back curve

Reba
5th August 2008, 12:40 AM
My lower back is mildly curved causing some pain and I was wondering what treatment options are available if surgery is out of the question? Thanks in advance.

nutmeg
5th August 2008, 02:52 AM
I find Alexander Technique helpful.
http://www.stat.org.uk/

sins
5th August 2008, 09:45 AM
Hi reba,
Mostly it would be physical therpay, exercises that would strengthen your abdominal muscles mainly.Also anything like yoga, pilates,alexander technique seem popular and helpful for easing aches and maintaining flexibility.
Sins

tonibunny
5th August 2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Reba,

I agree - anything that helps build up your core stability muscles (especially your transverse abs) will help. These muscles act as a sort of natural corset and support your lumbar spine. Pilates and the Alexander Technique are both really good for this, and swimming is excellent too - it really helps to keep your back muscles strong and flexible.

Good luck! Hope you find something that works for you :)

Toni xx

caro
5th August 2008, 02:47 PM
look up Scoliosis SOS clinic in Suffolk online. That is where I am now. I also have lumbar curve & am following 4 week course of intensive therapy to decrease rotation and pain

Lucy7
5th August 2008, 05:06 PM
I agree with pilates, yoga and swimming. Keeping those muscles strong is very important. For pilates, make sure you keep proper form otherwise it is possible to "target" the wrong areas and feel sore.

mark
5th August 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Reba, welcome to sso, i agree with the above Alexander Technique, swimming and pilates may be the way forward

Reba
5th August 2008, 10:06 PM
Wow, thank everyone for your replies.

I am working with a personal trainer who is helping to strengthen my core. I will also looking into applying the Alexander Technique.

Also, i believe I got shorter by an inche or so because of this condition. Hopefully, it can be reversed.

Cheers.

carolad
15th August 2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Reba

I'm a big fan of the Alexander Technique - I've 'grown' an inch since I started taking AT lessons, so there is a chance you might get that missing inch back!

Good luck and let us know how you get on x