PDA

View Full Version : 2cm taller!

caro
28th July 2008, 02:55 PM
hello!

thought I'd let you know that I am 2cm taller now! I very pleased and do certainly feel stretched! According to measurements my lumbar prominance in smaller too which is also very very pleasing. 2 weeks down, 2 to go.

x

titch
28th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Excellent news :) Hopefully the next 2 weeks will bring even more benefits!

carolad
28th July 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Caro

Excellent news - I'm glad you can see and feel some positive benefits already. And having something you can measure is evidence it is helping your posture :D

I also experienced this from doing my Alexander Technique lessons - I managed to 'grow' an inch in height! I do feel taller and straighter, but its good to have an actual measurement as proof that its working. Mind you, it took me about 6 months of AT lessons for me to grow 'taller' - thats amazing you have achieved this in only 2 weeks.

Hope you continue to get good results x

sins
28th July 2008, 04:47 PM
Good to hear you're pleased with the progress.:niceone:
Sins

caro
28th July 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm actually enjoying myself now too! I love hanging off the wall bars - the stretch is sooooooo good!

mark
28th July 2008, 04:59 PM
Pleased to read you are making such good progress

madmclw
28th July 2008, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear it's working so well for you!!

GillyG
28th July 2008, 11:55 PM
Excellent news Caro, I'm so pleased for you :D Mind you, you'll have arms like a monkey by the time you've done hanging off all those bars :glee:

Patricia
28th July 2008, 11:56 PM
Thatís great news caro I thought scoliosissos would work for you. Titch where has the other sos thread caro was posting in gone?

titch
29th July 2008, 08:57 AM
The threads were pulled because things were getting too heated. We'd reached a point where one camp believed anything said by anyone happy was false, and another that believed anything said by anyone unhappy was false. As the mission of the site is support, and support for some members was being compromised by this, it seemed best to pull the existing threads, in which a lot of emotion had already been invested, and let things calm down a bit.

We don't want to stifle discussion, but at the same time sometimes when everyone is too close to a matter, it's best just to stand back for a little while. The people specifically affected were contacted about this, and things discussed with them :)

carolad
29th July 2008, 11:33 AM
The threads were pulled because things were getting too heated. We'd reached a point where one camp believed anything said by anyone happy was false, and another that believed anything said by anyone unhappy was false. As the mission of the site is support, and support for some members was being compromised by this, it seemed best to pull the existing threads, in which a lot of emotion had already been invested, and let things calm down a bit.

We don't want to stifle discussion, but at the same time sometimes when everyone is too close to a matter, it's best just to stand back for a little while. The people specifically affected were contacted about this, and things discussed with them :)

I think that was a sensible decision Titch. Its always good to get different viewpoints about things, but this one was getting a bit over-heated. I suppose what we all have to realise is that we all have different problems and different experiences so what works for one person will not necessarily work for another. The main thing is that we continue to respect other people's opinions and support them through their chosen path, even if it is different from what we would choose to do ourselves.

caro
29th July 2008, 02:49 PM
What is so interesting is that everyone in the group has different types of curve and so we all have variations of the exercises. I had no idea that backs could be so different!

I am hoping that when I get back I'll be able to show my NHS physio some of my exercises so that she'll be able to watch me and check my muscles.

I'm feeling so positive about the treatment. Thank you all for sharing this with me!

carolad
29th July 2008, 03:03 PM
What is so interesting is that everyone in the group has different types of curve and so we all have variations of the exercises. I had no idea that backs could be so different!

I am hoping that when I get back I'll be able to show my NHS physio some of my exercises so that she'll be able to watch me and check my muscles.

I'm feeling so positive about the treatment. Thank you all for sharing this with me!

That is fantastic. It certainly sounds like the exercises are very much tailored to your personal requirements, so I see how this would be more effective than the general exercises that most physios prescribe.

I'm so pleased its working well for you - I can imagine how apprehensive you must have been before you went. Great to hear some positive news :D

caro
29th July 2008, 03:07 PM
Oh I was so apprehensive about coming here. And I must admit that I spent most of the 1st week in tears in the evenings. Partly because I got very emotional having to face up to the state of my back and partly because the work is so strenuous. My poor husband has had a lot to cope with!

sins
29th July 2008, 05:23 PM
Facing up to scoliosis is never easy.Especially if you've had to endure long term pain.At least you can say you've done something proactive and taken your health into your own hands.Stick with it, give it 100% and think positive.
Sins

Sandman77
29th July 2008, 11:29 PM
:) :) :)

Schroth works :)

Good job gal!

caro
30th July 2008, 02:53 PM
It really is working for me Sandman! Thank you for your encouragement. My biceps are massive it has to be said! I am going to be so strong at front crawl now!

twizzlegirl
30th July 2008, 06:35 PM
glad it's working for you :)
xxx

carolad
31st July 2008, 10:09 AM
It really is working for me Sandman! Thank you for your encouragement. My biceps are massive it has to be said! I am going to be so strong at front crawl now!

Now there's an interesting side-effect of the treatment! Why bother going to a health farm - just book yourself in here to get a super-toned body ;)

Seriously though, I can imagine the first few days must have been very difficult for you. Not easy being there without family and friends to support you through all the emotional and physical strain of it all. But it sounds like you have got through that and are now seeing the benefits.

How much longer do you have to go? When you finish there, are there any follow-up sessions, or is it just up to you to continue doing the exercises yourself?

Take care and keep exercising those biceps!

caro
1st August 2008, 03:11 PM
I've got 1 more week to go! I'm sort of enjoying myself but missing my family so much. Its ok for the younger ones. I think they are out having fun together in the evenings. There is even a romance!

I'll have to do 30 mins ex a day for the rest of my life. They do advise check -ups and 1 day booster courses (but then they are bound too - it is private after all!). I don't know how much these cost. If the price is ok I might come for a yearly check-up. Its such a long hike for me though.

We had another formetric scan today. App the main man at Oxford Nuffield is using this too? Fingers crossed for good results. I', worried I may have plateaued after my really good progress last week. We'll see.

carolad
1st August 2008, 05:15 PM
My goodness, it sounds like a scoliosis treatment centre, health club and social club, all rolled into one! Thats good everyone gets on well - it must make it easier when you have others to share the experiences with. Still, you will be glad to get home I'm sure - thats a long time to be away from your nearest and dearest.

30 minutes a day sounds ok - I reckon I do at least that amount of exercise every day now anyway, between the yoga and pilates I'm doing. It could be worth going for a yearly checkup if the price is ok - for peace of mind if nothing else. But you can decide that later - one step at a time.

I wouldn't worry if you haven't made as much progress as last week - as long as you come out of there feeling better than when you went in, it will all have been worthwhile :D

GillyG
1st August 2008, 10:48 PM
Oh Caro, 30 mins a day isn't bad at all - I have to do that with my physio exercises anyway to maintain the health of my remaining mobile segments (of which there are only a few :p)

I hope you manage to make further progress and that the family have a big homecoming party waiting for you when you get home!

:joke::party::cleader::party::joke:

Sandman77
1st August 2008, 11:43 PM
well 30 mins a day is good but 3-5 times a week could work too. Depends on if you keep at it or not.

caro
4th August 2008, 03:15 PM
last week now. yay! Must really go for it. Will get my final measurements taken Wed. Fingers crossed!

caro
10th August 2008, 09:33 PM
well I'm home and it is so good to be back!

I am pleased with my results. An extra 2.5cm in height, reduction in lumbar prominance, my right hip has definately moved to the centre and I am no longer leaning forward and to the left. For me the course has really worked. I also have a much greater understanding of what my body is doing and what I can do to correct myself. I also feel much better in myself and have less pain especially if I can get to hang from bars (I need to fit mine - anyone know a builder??!!).

The before & after pics are really good. I need to scan them in & don't have a scanner but will try to do asap.

Alot of the younger patients had really good results. Much better than mine - I suppose their spines are more flexible. But the majority of people I spoke to were pleased with the course and how it had worked for them.

Feel free to ask any questions - I'll do my best to answer - but lets keep it calm!

jfkimberly
10th August 2008, 09:49 PM
It sounds like you've had a really good experience! I can't wait to see the pictures! 2.5cm is an inch, right? Gah. If I gained an inch, I could officially call myself 5 feet tall.

GillyG
10th August 2008, 10:05 PM
Hey Caro, so glad to hear you are pleased with the results, can't wait to see your pics :D

caro
10th August 2008, 10:20 PM
yep, 2.5cm is an inch. I have lost 3 inches since I was 16, so to get 1 back is good!

mark
10th August 2008, 10:59 PM
Keep up the good work, its great to read your pain levels have decreased

Sandman77
10th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Im thrilled for you :)

Great work :)

Waiting for those pics! :)

caro
10th August 2008, 11:10 PM
thanks Mark.

The one thing that hasn't improved is the pain I get on my left hip which I think is a compressed nerve. I am hoping that by doing the stretches I've been given on a daily basis it might lesson. I really do need to sort it as sometimes I feel quite sick with it.

jfkimberly
10th August 2008, 11:15 PM
Did you talk with your trainers/treatment providers about it? Did they explore positions that might help to alleviate the pain? What were their suggestions?

carolad
11th August 2008, 04:39 PM
Thats fantastic Caro :D I'm so glad its worked for you - definitely worth the money and the time out in your case. It just goes to show that everyone is different, and even if something doesn't work for one person, it may help another. So its a case of trying different things, and if you find something that helps, no-one can argue with that!

Am I right in thinking you have 'grown' that extra inch because your muscles have been stretched on your tight side and this has helped straighten and lengthen your spine? I'm interested in how this differs from my Alexander Technique - I suppose with AT, I am relaxing muscles to lengthen the spine, rather than actively stretching them. And I don't think the Alexander Technique claims to actually change your curves, its more just making the best use of what you have...

But thats great you can actually see the difference as well as feel it. You must be delighted with the results :)

sins
11th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Well done on completing your course and great to hear it's been worthwhile.I agree that by continuing your exercises may help the hip problem long term.Lots of people with scoliosis have that pain,it's either sciatica or just wear and tear.I know Martha had a lot of hip pain but it eventually came right with physio and this didn't happen over a week or two.Stick with it and keep motivated.There's also no rule against exercise and a mild anti inflammatory at the same time:)
Sins

caro
11th August 2008, 08:17 PM
My Schroth physio reminded us several times that they cannot reduce curvature but can reduce rotation. As some of you will rememebr that is my problem as my Cobb is only 30 degrees but I have significant rotation since pregnancy resulting in a large lumbar prominence. I have reduced that rotation by 2.5 degrees - it was 22. degrees.

I am hoping that the exercises will loosen up the tight muscles pressing on my nerves. Otherwise I think I'll have to seek MRI scan as advised by the clinic. Are there any ant-flammetry pain killers you would suggest Sins?

Am still looking for a joiner to put my wall bars up so I can get on with my exercises. Our house is quite complicated so needs a professional. Had to go to my school and hang from the bars in the gyms for a bit today!!

sins
11th August 2008, 09:08 PM
It's hard to recommend an anti inflammatory,there are so many on the market now. If I have a neck flare up I take mobic (meloxicam). It's been around for decades and seems to be well tolerated and isn't too hard on the stomach.I think Simon found it helpful too.
If you're planning on taking it in the short to medium term I think you need to do this under your Gp's advice.
I know you're finding it hard to find someone to fit the bars but don't leave it too long.Just in case you lose motivation...
There's no problem in having an MRI scan, in fact why not try and have one done.perhaps it would help diagnose if three's degenerated discs in the lumbar area compressing the nerves.(My consultant reckons it's middle age)I was 35 at the time:p.
Sins

carolad
12th August 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for explaining that Caro, I understand it a bit better now. Thats an amazing change in rotation - I'm not surprised you feel better!

Good luck in getting someone to fit the bars!

caro
12th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Sins. have booked app with GP. Also want to get referral for physio to do deep tissue massge on lumbar prominence to help soften and mobilise it, so need to see him anyway.

Still getting nowhere with fitting the bars but the chin up bar I ordered form Argos arrived today so have been able to do some exercises. My body is desperate to 'elongate'! At least I managed to start. But it is a shock after doing 6 hours a day to go to very little. Am wondering if there's a cupboard somewhere at work to fix my bar so I can hang form that at lunchtimes!

mark
12th August 2008, 09:36 PM
Either that or retrain and get a job at the local zoo, i bet they have plenty of monkey bars down there :D

caro
14th August 2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds tempting Mark!

Had a few problems with my chin-up bar when I did it up so tightly I couldn't get it off! Luckily the joiner who is going to fit my wall bars came round the following morning and was able to take it off. In fact, he made it look easy!