PDA

View Full Version : another question

teebee
26th July 2008, 11:12 PM
My son seems to think that he'll be an inch or so taller once his surgery is complete. Can any of you gents who have had the surgery confirm or deny?

His curve is 85*. His spine is done growing....but still curving, thus, the need for surgery.

Thanks!

tb

Little Ali
27th July 2008, 12:29 AM
Yep, people who have the fusion and get correction often grow a bit due to the fact that the spine is straighter and makes the person stand taller. How much he'll grow depends on how much correction is achieved.

titch
27th July 2008, 12:36 AM
Sometimes, particularly with lumbar surgeries, it's a bit break even if they do an anterior release and remove discs - if they don't replace them with spacers, then the height regained from the straightening just balances out the height lost from disc removal. I think with thoracic surgeries, the gain is likely to be greater than the loss in many cases even where there is disc removal, because the discs there are less tall.

I think it's not unreasonable for him to think in terms of growing an inch, but I'd hesitate to think of any more because there are just too many variables.

GillyG
27th July 2008, 12:38 AM
There's a very strong chance he will indeed be taller after surgery. The tallest I've ever been is 5'2" which dropped to 5' 1-and a-bit in my 20's. At my pre-op assessment I was down to 4'11" and now, post surgery I'm back to about 5'1:D

If you imagine a curved piece if string and measure it top to bottom, then straighten it out and measure again, the second measurement is bound to be larger. It's not quite as simple as this though, since surgery usually involves removing the discs between the vertebrae - which causes a slight decrease in height - plus kyphosis surgery often also involves one or more osteotomies (cutting out a small wedge from the vertebrae in order to straighten out the curve) Even so, there is usually a net gain in height :D

teebee
27th July 2008, 02:36 AM
Thank you for all your responses. I guess we'll see. I'll report back after the 21st. Prayers and thoughts for Sean are appreciated. For me, as well. I am much more nervous than he is...I must say he's even a bit excited. A good attitude is a wonderful thing, though!

Amazed Jean
27th July 2008, 07:17 AM
All our best wishes for both you and Sean! Keep us posted!

alyssa
27th July 2008, 12:53 PM
Something like Titch was saying - My surgeon told me I'd actually be smaller after surgery because of the removal of disks and something to dow with anterior release but in the end I didn't lose or gain any height. I guess it was all equal'd out right?

Phoenix
6th August 2008, 09:37 PM
Matt's gained a couple of inches and is now taller than his dad which was a huge incentive to have the op as far as he was concerned!

Let us know how your son gets on. Good luck..

Buffalowilliam
7th August 2008, 12:24 PM
I had the operation and went from 5'11 to 6'2

mark
7th August 2008, 05:25 PM
Will be thinking of you on the 21st, i hope it all goes well

teebee
9th August 2008, 05:29 PM
Hello all!

Sean's pre-op appointment went well. Many of our questions were answered. I am assured that many of the restrictions and limits put on Sean will initially be pretty self-critiquing. The problem will be when he begins to feel better post surgery. No running or jumping of any kind for 6 months will be hard to enforce with a 16 year old!

Surgery still on the books for the 21st.

tb

mark
9th August 2008, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you had a really positive appointment, i'm pleased your mind has been put to rest somewhat, i'm sure the surgery is going to be fine and your will bounce back stronger than before :D

twizzlegirl
10th August 2008, 10:01 PM
good luck with it all! xx

cork_lass
11th August 2008, 10:13 AM
Good luck to you and Sean I hope all goes well for ye. Sean is lucky to have such a wonderful Mum to love and support him at this time. :)